Anyone hear of Delightful Divas in Business??

bah67

Wondering if anyone has heard of this company from Canada. I received an email asking for free samples ("25 but 40+ would be better") to put in baskets that they will sell. I did check out their website, blog,etc etc. I saw on their blog that a lot of different companies have given before. But our policy is no free samples, wholesale yes....free samples no.

Just wondered if anyone else has received this email.

We have started receiving a lot of "funny" emails lately, I think it's because our google ranking has gotten much higher, but it also brings to crazies out too!!

Edited by bah67

No I've never heard of them. This one made me roll my eyes:laugh2: "that they will sell"

Yeah, I think we would all love to get FREE stuff to make a PROFIT on. I thought "donate" was always associated with a charity.

Why do places like this feel that they don't have to pay for your products? In my opinion I always thought that sampler type box businesses should pay for the sample sized product. At the very least our cost to make the products.

Exactly what are you supposed to get out of the deal? Exposure to what market, a bunch of cheap skates that would never pay for the product anyway? Let me guess, you get the honor of paying for the international shipping too.

ETA: Same here, that is my policy too, NO FREE SAMPLES, unless it's on a paid order. I just delete those emails and don't respond.

Edited by funkymonkey66
add

Totally agree with you, DandRApothecary. Geez, this reminds me of another person or two who were discussed on these boards....

What would this Company do with all our tarts, B&B products, etc.? Sell them and use that money to pay for our ad? Nope, don't like it :angry2:

There is a restriction on how you are allowed to send your donation. "USPS only because FedEx and UPS have hidden fees for the recipient."

They're called duties and taxes something that's pretty standard. Wonder if she requests the sender marks the box as gift too, why not right?:tiptoe:.

This is not a new concept and is pretty cheap advertising if there are enough customers buying the boxes. The idea is it gets your product into the hands of potential customers, who will then buy from you.

There have been a lot of these sample box sites. They come, they go, some never get off the ground. Little Black Box was probably the most widely used, but I think it's because they got in on the concept early on. I have no idea if they're still around.

Why not? They pay for the web hosting. They pay for the advertising. They pay to box the products and ship to the customers. They give your business space on their website.

It's not like they're just sitting around counting the money they made off your hard work.

I think the idea itself is sound. The problem seems to be that the buyers of the boxes seem to be more interested in getting a box of surprise products like kids on Christmas morning than they are in become repeat customers of the featured artisans. I've known people who have gotten long, long, long time repeat customers from the boxes. But mostly, the box buyers just wait for the next offering to see what goodies they'll score.

Like any form of advertising, it's hit and miss. You never know what will happen.

And like I said, it's a concept that's been around a very long time. It gets your product into the hands of people who otherwise would never have heard of you.

Why not? They pay for the web hosting. They pay for the advertising. They pay to box the products and ship to the customers. They give your business space on their website.

It's not like they're just sitting around counting the money they made off your hard work.

No I think the majority are.I've never seen paid advertising for any of them, I'm sure some do pay. I've only seen mostly free link exchanges or an ad on a sister site and plugs on message boards. The customer buying the box pays the shipping. How else are they going to sell the boxes to the customer with out tempting them with the vendor ad and pictures. I just think it's a bad advertising investment. I really think the people selling the boxes are the only ones making money.

I don't expect anyone to work for free, but I'm not working for free either and I think if they paid for the samples it would be fair.

I think the idea itself is sound. The problem seems to be that the buyers of the boxes seem to be more interested in getting a box of surprise products like kids on Christmas morning than they are in become repeat customers of the featured artisans. I've known people who have gotten long, long, long time repeat customers from the boxes. But mostly, the box buyers just wait for the next offering to see what goodies they'll score.

Like any form of advertising, it's hit and miss. You never know what will happen.

And like I said, it's a concept that's been around a very long time. It gets your product into the hands of people who otherwise would never have heard of you.

I agree.

I understand the concept but will the return be worth it. It is a business and my company does give samples out to potential retailers, etc. But I do think if they are going to make a profit they need to buy wholesale.

I'm saying this based on my own experiences.. I've done them six times in total, I'm just saying in my experience I've seen little to no return from it, no jump in views or sales. They do make money (at least some of them do) on these boxes.

The customer pays shipping, at least in every box I've ever seen

and the customer pays for the box..

it must work for some people or else why do them? But it never worked for me :)

If I'm going to give free stuff away its going to be from my own website, FB page or at a show, to customers who have already purchased from me and would appreciate the extra gift to keep or pass on to someone. But you gotta do what works best for you! :)

I decided to try the sampler boxes a few times before the holidays and focused on my kid's line products. I sent out a total of 150 samples and got exactly 3 orders in return from customers of the boxes (used discount codes included in the box for 10% off so I knew they came from there). I did Out of Box Sampler. I do have to say that she does seem to actually do the work to advertise her contributors on her blog, the message board for OOBS and her Facebook page. I got a lot a raving reviews on the Facebook page but they did not convert into sales, atleast not yet so I am not holding my breath. Not exactly a great return on investment in my book but live and learn.