Scam Alert

schmoopie

Actually, I don't use gel & embeds, just make tarts right now. But, I use a number of suppliers for fo & wax, etc. that have always shipped quickly & excellent products. Personally, I love Nature's Garden, Candle Science, Candle Cocoon, Miami Eerie, Kentucky Candle.....so many out there....& you may find you prefer others. Best wishes to you....perhaps this won't be all that bad once it's resolved.

@CareBear...me too! I kept scrolling down reading about "embeds" and wondering what the heck it had to do with the scam? LOL! Thought I lost my marbles for a minute...checked my tea cup to make certain it was only tea in there!:smiley2:

I keep looking at this post in the hopes that everything turns out OK for the folks on here who did get those letters.

Hey i have left 6 emails between 1/13/11 and today the site is a free one from yahoo and the credit card charge thing is Moellers marine and the phone that is given is a cell phone i was calling it and then it went to voice mail when at first it was ringing. anyway i am pretty sure it is a scam so beware people :(

I wish you well, Leigha, but you really do need to start a different thread. I know I will check on it if you do to see how things are going.

Any news on the crazy man in MN writing scam letters?

Edited by marcuset

I agree with marcuset. If you title the thread with the name of the company, someone's more likely to let you know if they've ever bought from them, too.

I haven't heard anything from the post office, but filed my complaint online the same day as my last post. I'm so glad others are doing the same!

We got the same letter as well. I tracked his address to a phone number 320-235-0932 But there hasn't been an answer. When I do find this guy, he'll wish he'd never crossed paths with me. The address he gave was 312 9th st. NW Willmar MN 56201

Edited by beechcreekcandles

Boy, this man works quick. I just sold my candle biz on 1/12/11 and just last week, the NEW OWNERS got a letter from him at their PO Box that they just opened.

They were getting ready to refund him, but she called me first. I told her about this thread.

Thanks for sharing this info!

Carrie

First... the followng did make me LOL!!!! :laugh2:

Tell him it's one of those newfangled wickless candles and sell him a warmer.

I am tempted to return a letter making such an offer... :naughty:

We just got the letter today (2/7/11) almost identical wording so I will be filling our a Post Office form also. I am not an atty, but it seems he may be trying to skirt regs by not actually demanding a refund or replacement product.

bvk

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't you know it, I got the exact same letter today and I'm in...Canada. I knew right away it was a scam when he stated the candle (the most expensive one on my site of course) did not have a wick.

Goodness he certainly goes through great lengths handwriting these letters, sending them by postage mail and expecting something in return?

But what gets me is that he's not demanding a replacement,credit or refund just an explanation on how a wick was missed in a candle given 'quality control checks'. It's almost like a trap for another trap.

Seriously this guy needs to be stopped and why isn't he yet if he has been reported?

I'm really thinking about sending him that jack in the box :shocked2:

Edited by theoldehearth

My guess is that he is preying on the fact that ppl will believe him and send him a refund. If he gets enough responses like that he can make a pretty good killing off the scam. All he has to do is send a copy of the same generic letter to thousands of addresses. He could be using bulk rate too. Good money for an easy job. Creep!:mad:

A short time after this thread started, I noticed on my hidden counters that someone from Willmar, MN started visiting my site. Continues to at least once a week. First time in 9 years anyone from Willmar, MN ever visited my site, and since this jamoc is from there, I'm betting I'll be getting a letter soon too.:angry2: I think he's perusing for something expensive!:laugh2:

Well I've contacted the police department in that town where the scammer lives and send a picture of the letter & envelope. I told the department that several candle companies have been contacted so hopefully they will look into.

Fraud is fraud no matter how big or small.

It looks to me it's the work of an older person by the handwriting style.

I received the same letter by email....but when the person mention jar candle, I had them.. I do not and never have sold candles in jars. I only sell in tins or pillars. So I knew it was a scam right away. I just laughed and deleted the email. But yes he did email me from my website.

Cindy

You know, every year, there's a convention in Las Vegas called the Internet Hackers Convention. :shocked2: It lasts for a week!!!

Supposedly, they discuss all forms of scams and ways of hacking. When I first heard about this, I thought how can law enforcement allow a convention like this? Hackers and scammers participate in all forms of FRAUD...isn't this illegal?:confused::angry2::confused:

I had a friend that was near the place they have it one year...somewhere on or near the Strip. They said all these people were walking around with laptops. Scary...now it's probably smart phones and Ipads!

Anyway, I would not be surprised if these wise guys have a secret website where they post all kinds of scams that you could use. That may be why you got an email instead of the hard copy letter everyone else got, Lumina. Or it could be the guy in Willmar got caught by the Post Office... Who knows? I think it's all disgusting.:mad::tiptoe:

• 1 month later...

Hi, we're actually a tableware mfg., but found this forum when we received an odd, handwritten claim from a man in Willmar, MN, that was suspicious enough to research on line. Just as you described, the consumer [Paul Hanson at 312 9th St NW) said he received a defect item of ours at a gift exchange party -- in this case, a glass tray. He used the same verbage: "it was a rip off, useless, worthless and thrown away" and likewise expected "...a response and explanation on how this happened".

Normally, we'd send a no charge replacement with a letter of apology, but of course will not do so now that we know this is a scam. Just wanted to let you know that he's not only targeting candle manufacturers.

Shawna

Customer Service, Arthur Court Designs

www.arthurcourt.com

• 3 months later...

Like Arthur Court Designs, we received a similar letter from the same name and address in Willmar, asking for "a response and explanation on how this happened given your 'quality control checks'." Stumbled across this thread while attempting to verify address and look for a contact phone number. Assume that he stumbled across us as we do supply craft botanicals to candle-makers, but could be that - as with Arthur Court designs - he's simply moved to other business types as well.

• Like 1