Scam Alert

schmoopie

Unbelievable! This thread was started in Jan and its now almost Sep. So this rat has been scamming people we know about in this same manner for at least the past 9 months. I am glad that there were some good people who were able to find this thread and read up on this creep before falling for his scam. Bet this person has a wrap sheet an inch thick.

Edited by Candybee

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating. So he's not demanding that you send anything and if you do, he can defend himself on the fraud that he did not ask for anything.

This guy is slightly smarter than he writes (but only slightly). He must know that he will be found out and doesn't care or he wouldn't handwrite from the same location. Apparently, he just plans on defending if that happens. Meanwhile, people voluntarily mail him replacements?

Reminds me of a guy in Tucson back in the early 70's or late 60's that advertised "invisible tie clips, $5.00." People bought them. He was arrested for mail fraud and was let go because he actually did supply an invisible tie clip. It was a paper clip with instructions. Yup, you know, those cheap paper clips that could be bought like 1000 for a buck back then? The instruction were to place it on the inside portion of the tie near where it went through the cloth holder section on the outside portion of the tie, and clip it to the shirt. It worked for a few minutes.

Edited by EricofAZ

• 1 month later...

We just received a letter from Mr. Paul A Hansen of 312 9th St NW Willmar MN 56201 complaining about chips in our coasters. The funny thing about that is they are made of Silicone and pretty much indestructible so it did not make much sense. I was Googling him to see if I could find a phone number when I came across this thread and the stories. Thank you all for putting the information here. I am referring this and the letter to the Willmar Police Department as others have. I suspect this person may not be operating with a full set of marbles, candles or coasters.

Thank you all again for the heads up.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The gall of some people. I just read through this post and I just can't imagine someone being so persistent and that nothing has happened to him yet. Hopefully he is taken care of. I worry about all those that actually DID fall for this scam. Such a shame.

• 1 month later...

We are a stained glass company and also got the letter twice! The first time we simply sent out the item. This was in July. I just received another letter today and did a google search to find this website. I will notify the police dept in Willmar MN and do what I can about stopping him. This has been going on in this thread (at least for almost one year already! Where else can we post this info for smaller companies?

http://www.crystalclearimage.com

Not really anywhere else that I can think of but sure a google search for "scams" might net you somewhere. I would think just posting here and keeping this topic going from way back when will keep it fresh in google, that way when others search it, here we are....

For surely tho report this to your local police and let them know about all the others as well... who knows, maybe the feds will pick up at some point (crossing state lines = fed's if I'm not mistaken).

The FBI has a division that handles mail fraud and identity thefts and I'm sure they would be very interested in hearing about this guy. I am not open for business yet so I didn't get a letter, lucky for him! Someone that did get a letter needs to call your local FBI office and report him.

We read reports like this regularly from many chandlers. I find it so difficult to comprehend that people REALLY do this... Has anyone ever been so hard up for a candle to burn that they would take the time to try to scam something free from a chandler? REALLY? Sometimes people in this world really boggle my imagination... Man, they must have a lot of time on their hands... :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

After checking to see if this was a recent post, I read through the 7 pages over 11 months (!) and discovered that this person has been actively scamming not only chandlers but others with home crafting businesses. I hope someone ties all this together for the police and drops it on someon's desk who can encourage this person to cease and desist...

Edited by Stella1952

I find it so difficult to comprehend that people REALLY do this... Has anyone ever been so hard up for a candle to burn that they would take the time to try to scam something free from a chandler? REALLY?

Agreed! We have had a few stop by the market with their stories of hard times and for some we will even just give them a candle to brighten their days =) But it is sad that some will go to this extent to take advantage of others.... It's a sad world out there.. That's why I like staying locked up inside my little bubble =)

• 1 year later...
June 7th, 2013. Just received my 3rd letter from Paul A Hanson in Willmar MN. First 2 were in 2011! Still doing the same thing!

Sounds to me that unless he scams the local Duncan Donut shop he's going to continue to get away with his "venture". I wonder how many free items and cash refunds this bottom dweller has netted over the years?

Just googled Paul hanson and apparently Nigerian scammers are using this name for bank fraud too...they use Dr.Paul Hanson as well so it might well be they are using a innocent persons name fraudulantly:undecided

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

October 2014 and he's still running the same racket!

I run a beef jerky business in Minneapolis and we received a handwritten letter from the one and only Mr. Paul A. Hanson. He said he received some of our jerky as a gift at a party, but three of the four packs looked like they had been partially opened. He asked for a "response or explanation on how this happened given your 'quality control checks.'" Seemed honest enough. I was drafting a response letter and was going to send him some packs of jerky as a customer service gesture, but then my co-worker Googled his name just for the hell of it.

She instantly found the story about him stealing $60,000 from his church and then found this thread. Can't believe he's put so much time and energy into writing these letters. Insane. As you can guess, he won't be getting any response, explanation, or jerky from us.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Sorry everyone for bringing this thread to life again but with a quick Google check I was saved from the frustration of falling for this scammer!

Just received my letter from this Paul A. Hanson from MN and it's a perfect match to what everyone was writing here. Claimed he received a gift tin from my company at a party and it was less than half full. After a little research on my business end I realized that I hadn't sold that gift tin in a while!

So everyone out there beware and make sure to report him.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am not sure if anyone will see this since 72 posts regarding this same person and this topic were back from 2011. However, I wanted to make you aware that this person is back to scamming people and businesses into sending him merchandise.

ATTENTION!!!! DO NOT FALL FOR THIS IT IS A COMPLETE SCAM. THIS PERSON IS A CONVICTED CRIMINAL IN KANDIYOHI COUNTY, MINNESOTA FOR STEALING $60,000 FROM TRIPOLIS LUTHERAN CHURCH.

GOOGLE IT, IT'S ALL PUBLIC INFORMATION. HE IS NOW GOING AFTER MANY DIFFERENT INDUSTRIES TO OBTAIN FREE PRODUCT UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. WE HAVE REPORTED IT TO USPS MAIL FRAUD, THE FBI AND LOCAL SHERIFF'S OFFICE in KANDIYOHI COUNTY. THEY ARE ALREADY AWARE OF HIS TACTICS. PLEASE DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!!

Edited by Vicky_CO
Personal letter was removed it contianed a name and phone number

• 3 weeks later...

I own the Pez Collectors Store and we sell Pez Candy Dispensers and Pez licensed items to Pez collectors. Today, June 1, 2015, I received a letter dated 5/29, postmarked 5/30 from Paul A. Hanson. Claims he received a "Pez Collectors Store Cycling Taz Pez on a keychain" at a party during a gift exchange and that it broke the first day he used it. He asked for "a response and explanation on how this happened given your 'quality control checks'. Since I only recently acquired and listed a Cycling Taz Keychain manufactured by Basic Fun in 2000 and have never sold one, the letter was very suspicious. This is not a top of the market item by any means. He included his address and phone number in the letter and I tried calling because we value our reputation as trustworthy and reliable dealers in the pez collectors community. I didn't get an answer, and just out of curiosity, I did a search for his name in Willmar, MN. He has moved well beyond candles without wicks! I called the sheriff's office and filed a mail fraud complaint.