What is your best selling method?

Hi all. Would those of you with experience mind telling someone who's just starting out what your best selling channel is?

For example, do you sell more product at craft shows, on the internet, wholesale, consignment, word of mouth, a combination, etc?

I'd like to make a full time business out of candle making and B&B products and rather than try each channel separately I'd like to start out with what works best for those already involved in the business.

Also, how many of you are full time chandlers and/or are making a full time income from it?

Thanks!

Russ

I sell B&B and it started as a hobby and I now call it my hobby business and no I do not make a living at this. I will retire in a couple of years and hope to be able to supplement my income at that time.

Best venue for me is craft type shows, monthly markets and a quarterly market I do. I do 25 shows a year. Gosh I had no idea until I actually counted them. Anyway, my sales at shows drive repeat customers to my website. I have one wholesale customer that is actually another vendor that a I make a couple of Celtic soaps for her. I have not enough time for more wholesale at this time plus I enjoy meeting the customers.

In my area, there are very few chandlers at the shows I go to being replaced by Scentsy it seems. But there are a few still around. But I only saw them at the fall and Christmas type shows this season. I do shows year round now whereas I used to start in October through the first two weeks of December.

Word of mouth is great too and I also have a booth in a craft mall. I pay rent, they sell, collect tax and send me a check. I don't consider that consignment but some people do. I do fairly well at the craft mall and there is one candle vendor in the mall. Used to be several when I started 3 years go at that mall.

It's the age old "you'll just have to try a few things and see what works for you."

Some people sell better in person. Some do better via website. And so forth. It depends a lot on you and your personal abilities. Of course it also depends on how people receive your product.

You'll just have to bite the bullet and see what works for you.

Thanks SOW for your reply but biting the bullet and finding what works for me doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to become successful in this business.

Emulating what works for others but doing it better is much more efficient and less costly. It's also a proven business model. Having said that, I understand if those who are successful don't want to share that information although I do believe there's still room in the industry for more competition.

Fortunately for us, we are located inside a really cool old historic storefront, right in the middle of a huge tourist area. We get alot of tourists who purchase stuff locally and then call or go online to place orders. Years ago when we had our first candle business (stopped for a few years), we did the craft show circuit, fundraisers, a couple of home parties and had numerous wholesale accounts. Our biggest draw by far was the website. Also, when we did the shows, we always tried to get our same spot because our customers would look for us there. We took advantage of every avenue we could.

I have to agree with SOW and LML, different methods work for different types of people and some selling methods work better depending on your area. Doing something "better" and more "efficiently" works great if you already know the basics, but most likely not so with a start-up candle business. As far as asking other businesses to instruct a potential competitor on how they became successful...wouldn't hold my breath. Not being an ass here, just my opinion.

Steve

Emulating what works for others but doing it better is much more efficient and less costly. It's also a proven business model. Having said that, I understand if those who are successful don't want to share that information although I do believe there's still room in the industry for more competition.

Sorry, but emulating what works for me or anyone else, doesn't mean it's gonna be profitable for you, in your area. It's just like what FO's or jars work in your area. I can't sell a lot of bakery scents to save my life, but earthy scents sell great......being an old hippy that's fine with me!! The under 30 music festival crowd are my biggest buyers, they LOVE their incense scents!!

Jelly jars/prim never sold which surprised me, as I live in a very rural area with more cows than people LOL!! My customers like higher end jars and will pay for them with no problem.

Many areas have good craft shows, my area sucks, but I did try it. Internet, good luck with that, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of candle companies on the net or on etsy, ebay, etc. But, that's not saying you can't get a slice of that pie!

You didn't like Sliver's answer, but unfortunately that's the correct answer. You can't know what selling avenue works for you unless you just do and see how it works in YOUR area.

I would have to agree here you can't base your success or lack of on someone else's success or lack of. Some areas sell things that other areas can't. For example Monkey Farts seems to be a big seller for alot of people but in my area not so much. Same goes for jars, depending on the area some will fly and some will just sit. The best advice is to get out there and see what sells and how the people in your area accept your products, prices, presentation, and your knowledge of what you are selling. Most of my business comes from customers I have actually meet at craft shows, flea markets etc. that are repeat customers and they bring business to me by word of mouth. There is alot of competition on the web like Chris said and if you are thinking that is going to be your bread and butter you will be sadly disappointed. I think the majority of us have other jobs so just starting out thinking you will be able to do only this with no other income just isn't going to happen, hell it isn't happening for people who have been doing this for years and years who have a client base. With that said I am going to have to repeat what Sliver and the others here are saying you are going to have to get out there and try the different avenues to see what works in your area.

Thanks SOW for your reply but biting the bullet and finding what works for me doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to become successful in this business.

Seriously? Why don't you spend some time on trying to make a sellable, marketable product first, or would you like us to tell you how we make our candles after years of time and money researching it so that you can then go and do it "better" ....just saying!:rolleyes2

Just out of curiosity you have no location listed so I was wondering where your business is located. From March 2008-2009 I earned enough for someone to eek out a living from, however, I make what are considered "novelty" soaps and candles...Simple jars do not sell for me...I buy vintage pieces for my containers and have spent hundreds of dollars (probably more) on molds. Prim does not sell well for me. I started on eBay when eBay was hot for home candle and soapers....tarts were selling 6 for $10.00....now they are $3.50 a dz from the same sellers.....my exposure on eBay led to my wholesale business and my wholesale business is where most of my income came from...I only do one or two craft shows and no parties....my soaps that I would sell for $4.00 a bar wholesale would be repackaged and sold on websites for $10.00 a bar. What most of your responders are saying is true...the competition is fierce. My old rule of thumb in my pricing no longer applies... 6 yes ago my retail was $8.95 a lb for a candle and 6.95 wholesale....wax and shipping prices have gone up and my pricing is going to have to go down...at least for candles. if you limit yourself to just one product depending on the style of "living" you need or expect it's a long haul, no quick fix and good ole trial and error

Maybe call Yankee candle and see if they have any advice for you. Ask for the President or CEO. I am sure he would be willing to hand over their proven business model and maybe even ingredents and formulas. Good luck with your business venture.

Maybe call Yankee candle and see if they have any advice for you. Ask for the President or CEO. I am sure he would be willing to hand over their proven business model and maybe even ingredents and formulas. Good luck with your business venture.

Ya think!! :laugh2:

I appreciate the feedback everyone's given. Apparently my previous response offended a few people - not what I intended.

I apologize if I came across as not wanting to figure things out for myself, it isn't that at all. I know that some people aren't comfortable giving the type of information I'm looking for away and I accept that. Others don't fear competition and will share, I accept that too.

To find out what will sell in my "area" is relative. I'm sure what you consider your area is totally different than what I consider mine to be. If I start my business by defining my area as an area within 500 miles of my location then I've already limited my ability to sell. I consider my "area" to be the entire U.S., regardless of whether I sell candles, web design, clothing or anything else. Having a website (I'll be designing my own soon) creates an opportunity to sell in places I've never even been to before.

To Isbennis - I know how to make the type of candles I want to market. I learned it through trial and error, testing, and from lots of reading on this forum. There are lots of people willing to share what works for them and what doesn't and I thank them for that. I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

I'm not asking for a "blueprint" on how to sell candles, nor am I here to get in a pissing match with anyone, I was simply asking what your best sales channel was.

I'm not the greatest speech writer (I'd never make it in politics!) so I'll apologize in advance if this post offends anyone. I'm here to learn ALL aspects of the business (hence the "Business Side of Things" category) and not just how to make a candle. I do know however, that MOST of what I learn will be through trial and error, success and failure.

Thanks again.

To find out what will sell in my "area" is relative. I'm sure what you consider your area is totally different than what I consider mine to be. If I start my business by defining my area as an area within 500 miles of my location then I've already limited my ability to sell. I consider my "area" to be the entire U.S., regardless of whether I sell candles, web design, clothing or anything else. Having a website (I'll be designing my own soon) creates an opportunity to sell in places I've never even been to before.

~~~~I think this paragraph refers to my post...my area is global, I live in a small town between Buffalo and Rochester NY...I HAVE NO LOCAL OR INSTATE RETAIL OUTLETS...The biggest part of my income is from a boutique owner in CA who owns 9 boutiques throughout the state, my second highest customer is in Australia, I have retailers in the following areas (off the top of my head) United Kingdom, Happy Valley Hong Kong (it's a real place..lol the name), North and

South Carolina (resort boutiques), Texas, Jerusalem and I

stopped shipping to Greece because my soaps and candles are always flagged by dogs and usually sit in a warehouse. All of these customers came to me via eBay...all started out as regular buyers and some of my soaps were passed along to different boutiques or specialty shops...To be completely honest my crafting income is 90% soap and probably 10% candles....my soaps & candles cater more toward the Victorian and shabby chic look...When eBay sales dove for everyone I managed to keep stable because I had no one competing with

me and search words like Victorian, shabby chic and pink were still selling strong on eBay....eventually when eBay made all of their pro consumer/anti seller decisions and their fees became outrageous, eBay candle sellers as well as other home crafters left. I know people whose husbands quit their jobs because their wives were pulling serious bucks on eBay at the height of the "candle wars" one lb star shaped pillars in a rustic tin with scented rose hips would go for $20-30.00. Unfortunately I was a buyer then and paid through the nose. I will say this...there were several Yahoo boards that consisted of the candle sellers as well as the "high roller" buyers that amped up the competition....what I posted earlier still holds true...you need a jumping off point that puts your name out into the candle universe, for me that was eBay, now maybe amazon, I was sincere when I wrote your business does depend on your area, who else is in the area, what are they making, what is the style that your competitors are selling the most of, etc...I also believe wholeheartedly that you can't support yourself on pouring candles alone...you need a diverse inventory and it took me 2 years to get out of the red and into the black business wise.

Thanks Ann Marie,

That's precisely my point. While you sell in the UK, Hong Kong, Texas, etc., there's no way you could logically find out what sells in those areas. You had a product, you put in on ebay and people who liked your product purchased it.

I agree also with your point about finding a jumping off point and translated I think that means starting local. I do plan on understanding the competition, both big and small, in my area and starting here but my long range strategic goal is to market my products globally. I do plan on diversifying into B&B products as soon as it's feasible to do so and other products as growth allows. Are they hefty goals? Absolutely, but I believe they're attainable.

This won't happen overnight, I understand that. Hard work, testing, patience, research, and a little help from those on this forum will eventually make it possible.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Your sales channel(s) depend(s) on your business plan. Lack of a plan is a plan to fail - regardless of whose methods you choose to emulate and improve upon.

For me it is a mix of all of the above channels mentioned. You have to bust your hump at channels that are initially less profitable to build a client base. Just having a web site doesn't mean people will flock to it KWIM?

Build your brand, then you'll be able to come back and answer your own question. The answer to the channel question will change and evolve as your business matures.:)

Ok, I normally do not have a snarky attitude when I'm on this forum and I try to give as much info as I take but clearly you have hit a nerve with me, so lets try and clear things up here...

You stated: "Emulating what works for others but doing it better is much more efficient and less costly".

In my opinion this statement has just insulted everyone here that has spent years and serious money on making their product. Can you make it better? Maybe, maybe not, but you just admitted that you are willing to come on here and take our hard earned information to use to your advantage then you are also capable of doing it much better as well.

You stated: "I apologize if I came across as not wanting to figure things out for myself, it isn't that at all. I know that some people aren't comfortable giving the type of information I'm looking for away and I accept that. Others don't fear competition and will share, I accept that too".

I can't speak for everyone here but I do not fear competition, if I did I would not be in this business because there is a heck of alot out there. Actually I welcome it because it makes me strive to be all that much better at what I do. So in my opinion I don't think fear of your candles has anything to do with divulging hard earned information.

You stated: "To Isbennis - I know how to make the type of candles I want to market. I learned it through trial and error, testing, and from lots of reading on this forum.

Perhaps, but from what I can see you joined this board December 2010, does this mean you don't know how to make a candle, not neccessarily, but your post would indicate otherwise...

On 12/05/10 you posted..."Help for Newbie"

On 12/13/10 you posted..."Does more fo make a difference?"

On 12/14/10 you posted..."Advertised candle weight"

On 12/16/10 you posted..."Soy blend proportions"

On 12/18/10 you posted..."My math correct?"

On 01/06/11 you posted..."What is your best selling method"

...all great questions but, not the questions someone would ask who knew how to make the type of candles they want to market!

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time and have no problem giving information to help someone who clearly is willing to put in the time and effort on their own to make their product. I appreciate your confidence and goals and wish you the best of luck in your persuit but perhaps a little more humble of an attitude may come across way better in writing.

Edited by lsbennis

Hi Isbennis,

I used to make candles and also had B&B products about 6 years ago but got out of doing it for various reasons. I know things change over time (primarily waxes) but the basic process of candle making hasn't so I just picked up where I left off.

Most of my posts thus far have involved using soy wax, something I wasn't using in the past.

Again, I'm not here to argue or be an instigator.

Well put Isbennis!! I am not worried, scared or what have you to competition as most of us on here are not. However we all have put in alot of money, time etc. to start, build and learn this business... some of us more than others as some of the people here have been in this business for a very long time. We all have tried, tested, failed and learned from each and every part of this business whether it be failed scents, soaps, slow shows to where we maybr got our booth fee back or maybe not even broke even at all. And to ask for those people to just give you what has worked and failed for them so you can not only do the same thing that worked but do it better is very bold imo. I am not easily offended but I must say I was somewhat with your comments. Honestly, how do you expect to be this huge success online without having a client base at all. Doing shows in your area will get your name out there and build a client base. That can start your online sales and help to give you some testimonials. Anyway there is a huge difference between giving help/advice to someone and just flat out telling them how to do it. You say you are not wanting to come across as not wanting to figure things out for yourself but your question here screams the opposite. If you truly were figuring things out for yourself you would do the things that we all have had to do and learn from. Instead you seem to be asking for a business plan that has been created, tested and worked for someone else to you on a silver platter. You are in the wrong place for that... most everyone here is glad to help someone who is helping themselves and not offending people. Good luck to you in your venture.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

:confused:Excuse me if I seem redundant, but did you want to know what sells for us and how? That question leads me back to my ultimate pet peeve on this board; members who don't disclose location. Every bit of information is only relevant...by location. If you want me to tell you what sells during January in icy Michigan, don't you think I'd like to know where you are or your company is based? Obviously my sales are vastly different from an urban tropical location. I'm pretty much an open book on my little venture, but why share if you won't? Not trying to be a b*tch, but, in business it doesn't work that way.

I'm rather shocked at the vitriolic responses to what started out as a simple question.

I hate to burst your bubbles but whether you like it or not everyone on this forum is a competitor to everyone else. If you're not in business to do things better than your competition (referred to as your unique selling proposition) then why be in business at all? I know not everyone here is doing it to make money, some do it just for the love of doing it but I'm asking those who are in it to make money.

There are many people on this board who, without hesitation, give advice on all types of questions.I've seen posts on the B&B forum where people are asking for recipes for certain things and others willingly give them the recipes they use. I've seen posts in the Vegetable Wax Candle Making forum of people asking what blend proportions people are using and again are given that information freely. For example, EricofAZ did an entire series of testing with four different soy waxes and posted his process (including images) and test results for everyone to see. I've seen posts in the Fragrance Discussion board about what FO's are best with particular kinds of soaps and candle wax and again people will tell them what's worked for them. How is that different than what I'm asking?

Again, I'm not asking for a "blueprint" for sales I only asked everyone what sales channel worked best for them. I'm not asking what area you live in, what works best in your area, what jar you use, what wax you use, what FO you use, just simply, what worked best for you. For those willing to reply I can aggregate that information and figure out the rest for myself.

I'm located in North Texas but again I don't understand why that's relevant.

Do those of you who want to know only sell your products to those in your area? If you live in Chicago and have a website and someone from San Diego buys a candle from your site are you saying you understand what sells in southern California? If you sell at craft shows and someone visiting from Miami buys your candle do you understand what sells in south Florida?

B@BlissStreet - I'm not wanting to know what you sell or how to sell the candles. I would even admit that that type of information varies greatly from one person to another. I was only asking what sales channel worked best for those in the business. I can figure the rest out for myself.

Thanks.

Edited by classiccandle

I think what many people are trying to say is it might be best to start local and build from there. And, in my opinion, your atitude may be what is irritating people. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

You'd be way wrong about that. If I based my inventory and sales methods on what works for someone else, I'd be up a s*** creek. I shudder at the thought of all the wax and oils I would have wasted if I tried to copy someone else's business criteria. My business is unique, my inventory is unique, and my customers are unique. Nobody else can emulate me and mine.

Sorry, but that's the simple truth.