Valentine's Day

EricofAZ

Ok, here's my project. I have the wick pretty much sorted out. CD8 in IGI 6006 burns pretty well in this container. This is a one pound (wax) container that is probably only at 14.5 ounces due to the airspace around the flower.

It is a blend of colors and FO's. FO is Briar Rose on the flower and Pink Sugar for the rest. The yellow dye will mix with the red to make a Hot Pink blend.

I appreciate suggestions. Here is what I have noticed so far: The briar rose irritates me and doesn't mix well with the pink sugar. I'm toying with regular rose scent (lighter). It burns off quickly because the rose melts fast. So the rose scent fades with the flowers that the lucky lady got and turns to pink sugar. I might make the rose red and the mid layer yellow.

Also thinking about other combos. Chocolate colored flower with chocolate scent. Yellow layer in the middle or all the way down with vanilla. Should mix to an ivory color and chocolate / vanilla.

The wick burns fine, but there is some smoke when blown out and some small shroom as well on long burns. Any thoughts? I might try an ECO that has the same ROC as the CD.

post-12389-139458475734_thumb.jpg

I think it is very pretty and very unique. I like that you thought about how the colors would blend (I have made some pretty layers that turned to mud...oops!) I very much like the chocolate idea (do you have a strawberry to go on top?) I also think the colors are wrong - red is love, pink is like, yellow is friendship. Well, I guess not wrong if you are giving it to a friend...I would prefer red, though.

Ok, dark red rose and hot pink top layer. Should go fine.

I have Chocolate Raspberry from CS that smells nice.

Some peppermint too.

Lavender and vanilla?

Lovespell and something? Pretty good selection here so I'm all ears for ideas.

Maybe I'll only make one or two yellow roses and leave those for the special buyer.

Any thoughts on price? Cost is $5. (.99 for the container and lid plus tax, one pound of paraffin, 1.5 oz FO, and the wick and fixings.)

Ok, this is Chocolate Raspberry on the rose and French Vanilla in the body. I think the FO's might not sell (as do others who say chocolate candles don't do well) because they make me want the real thing. Also, I think the colors are not right. The yellow/white reminds me of lemon chiffon and the red/burgundy of cherries so the scents don't match.

post-12389-139458475775_thumb.jpg

Why don't you make your top layer a very light pink so as the red flower melts down it just darkens the pink? I think that would get rid of most of your problems.

Oh and unless you have 2 fo that go well together why don't you just do one scent throughout? You can make different colors with the same scent, there is no rule against that

;)

oh and retail value should generally be about 3x your cost, some say more

Edited by tlc26

Oh this will be fun ... mixing colors to make another color and match a scent.

You know if it doesn't match a scent just rename it.

You could make all your bases white and color the flowers so they all become a tint of the flower during the burn if you wanted.

Don't ask how it happened, but I once had a votive that was mostly hot pink with a very dark blue top and the end result was a purple when burned.

You could call these blossom candles. Red and white make pink; pink and red (depending on which is red) can either make a brighter red or a darker pink. Yellow and red are going to go orange.

On your lavender one, you could go purple or blue with white and get a nice pastel as long as the rose is purple.

These chocolate cherry things ... no big deal if they go brown because that's all that's left once they're eaten anyway is a brown wrapper or an empty box.

Good luck on scent combos. Lovespell goes great with trash ... I mean something light and airy probably, maybe a citrus or possibly vanilla makes it smell good! ha!

Why don't you make your top layer a very light pink so as the red flower melts down it just darkens the pink? I think that would get rid of most of your problems.

Oh and unless you have 2 fo that go well together why don't you just do one scent throughout? You can make different colors with the same scent, there is no rule against that

;)

oh and retail value should generally be about 3x your cost, some say more

I have to agree there...I think using the same scent might be a better idea. I would love to see a pic of some partially burned down so we can see how it looks! Some colors just look gross when mixed! I do, agree that the yellow rose is a little, well, NOT romantic.

Maybe good for spring, but not for V day...

JMHO:p

those are very cute!! I agree though on the yellow rose not crazy about it. I think pink and red are more v-day like and more on the romantic side. I too would like to see pics of them partially burned to see how they look when the colors start to blend together. But they are very nice and cute! Hope they sell well for you!

Great ideas, thanks. Chocolate is OUT. I test burned the Chocolate Raspberry/French vanilla one (or at least, the rose is gone now and its into the vanilla).

Woke up craving chocolates. Bad.

I read where chocolate scents don't sell well. I suspect because people want the real thing.

I can see how that lavender color worked out, it does make sense to me.

Now to finalize a wick that doesn't 'shroom. The ECO's are the least at that but they still mushroom even if I underwick the container.

The single fragrance idea is easy to do of course. The thing is that the rose center burns through in about 4 hours or less and then it mixes with the container and the container is good for 60 or more hours. I thought the rose should be a "delicate and fleeting scent" followed by the main course. I could see a boy giving this to a girl with flowers and it burns like the rose flowers for a day or so then the Pink Sugar for the remainder after the flowers are long gone.

Edited by EricofAZ

I had chocolate raspberry for v-day once and it just didn't sell well. People commented on how good they smelled but when it was time to buy they went with other scents. Maybe it is that it makes them want the real thing?? I like the idea of the 2 scents. Before I started making candles I used to love the candles that had the 3 layers with different scents for each layer. I have yet to venture into trying to do that though. I love pink sugar, but, roses eek! I get that you would want to make the rose of the candle have a rose scent, but, I personally can't stand the smell of roses. Then again I'm not a fan of floral type scents at all. I hate having to make them but there are alot of people that like florals so I think you'll do very well with them for v-day. Good luck with them and post some pics of them partially burned for us.

That is a great looking candle - very, very creative; great picts also. You mentioned that the rose melted fairly quickly- did you notice any issues related to that, i.e., sooting or excessive flicker?

Obviously, once the initial melt pool has developed thereby leveling the top, it acts as any well made candle, but I'm curious about any deviation you may have noticed in the test burns. Thanks.