How does the Jelly Jar sell?

blt212

I've been thinking about adding another jar to my candle line...currently I offer an 11oz tumbler undyed and the 16oz smooth mason dyed. I want to add a lower priced jar but not sure how the jelly sells or if I should go with a smaller tumbler. It would be nice to have a line that kind of flows with jar styles but it's a bit late for that...

Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks everyone for the input...I used the smooth sided 16oz mason but I don't think there's a 8oz to match just the 8oz with the ball embossing or am I missing something?? No really objections to the 8oz square mason except for trying to label consistently....

Thats why I don't use the mason jars. Didn't like that they have those embossments on the jars. But there are matching 16 and 8 oz square masons and together they look nice. JMO but I would strongly urge anyone choosing different size jars to select matching ones as they look more professional than mismatched jars.

I used to use the 16 oz round smooth masons that look like mayo jars along with the 8 oz jj's. Just got tired of the look after a while. They don't match and I didn't feel I could start wholesaling mismatched jars so I eventually switched.

Right now I am using straight sided jars in 9 and 16 oz. They also match the older 12 oz salsa jars I still have and all look great together. Since I wanted to start wholesaling these are working great for me.

We were trying to label the Mason Jars and still have them look nice. We did hang tags...but I didn't like them. Plus, once the label is removed, they lose the scent and our company contact information. Then we put the large round label on the lid...didn't personally care for that either. Then one day, while trying to figure out what to do, I'm looking at a couple dozen finished Mason Jar Candles ready to label and it hit me. I only look at the embossed side as the "front" of the jar. So we turned the jar around and made a new "front" and put our oval labels on the "back" of the jars. That way the customers can display their jars anyway they want and our scent and contact information is still on there.

Edited by lovemylabs

The thought of labelling on the backside just occurred to me as well....I'm going to purchase some and label and see how they look side by side with my 16's since I'll use matching lids.....I think wick testing will be pretty easy since the diameter is about the same as the 16's versus going with a totally different jar and I like the 8oz square mason better than the 8oz jelly. I sell my existing jars both at retail and wholesale prices but I think in this economy having a jar with a lower price point for both types of sales can only be a good thing...

Thanks ... and Happy New Year!

Thanks everyone for the input...I used the smooth sided 16oz mason but I don't think there's a 8oz to match just the 8oz with the ball embossing or am I missing something?? No really objections to the 8oz square mason except for trying to label consistently....

I believe Candlescience has un-embossed 8 oz jelly jars.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the unembossed I will check around a bit. I use the jj and they sell really well. I do have some of the 8 oz mason but have done nothing with them as I just haven't had the time to try out wicking for those and my 16 oz are idenitcal to my 8 oz so they would be mismatched. I got them from someone selling off some supplies and thought what the hell. It was more for my own use I think and who of us can resist a deal???

ok I must be crazy or dreamed that I saw them. All I can find are the embossed ones or the ones that just say mason on one side and smooth on the other 3 sides.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

Thanks....I did check out Fillmore and Candlescience and I haven't ruled out the Jellies but would prefer a match to the 16oz smooth sided mason in an 8oz size but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist except for the 8oz square mason. TV Glass has a 12oz as does Candles and Supplies but once you get down to the 8oz it changes to the Jelly Jar shape. Again, I appreciate all the feedback, you guys are great!

I don't make candles. I can't even burn most candles except for vanilla because of severe allergies and asthma. However, and this is just my opinion, I would never buy a candle in a jelly or hexagonal jar. I can't understand why someone would go to all the expense and years to learn how to make a perfect candle and then, when they use that talent to go into business, they choose something so plain and ugly. After years of testing, why not choose something that makes your product different and exciting, something that makes your product unique and sets you and your company apart from everyone else?

I enjoyed Ecco's website; it was unique (even though it was so dark) and I just knew that his candles would be something special. Then I opened the web page and there was a hexagonal jar. Boom! I was no longer interested. I did enjoy his painted glass, though. IMHO, all the hype in the world does not make a hexagonal or jelly jar special, and I think the candle makers who realize that are the candle makers who make the big money, who take their jars and packaging to the next level.

Off my soapbox now. Please don't throw big stones at me.

From the marketing research I have done, it really depends on the area and especially the venue on how well the JJ sells (and the hex). Alot of consumers associate the JJ and hex with a true handmade product. They are also conducive to the "country" look. But the same jars in an "upscale" shop might not sell, where down the street at a market, they will fly off the tables. One example I have is at a shop I was asked to wholesale. It is a more "upscale" place that sells (IMO) somewhat overpriced merchandise. I was asked to place a good assortment of all types of containers there at the end of November. They do not sell handcraft products or candles. Out of the 121 candles that sold through Christmas, only 3 were JJ. About 20 were 9 (or 12 depending where you but them) oz hex jars. The vast majority were Beanpots, Status, and Whisper jars (which was fine with me, they cost more). So it really depends on alot of factors. And they are one of the easier jars to wick correctly. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

I use the 8 oz. widemouth masons with the Kerr imprint on one side. It really doesn't detract from the looks of the container much, especially when burning, IMHO. I don't use a label on the glass part of the jar because I HATE labels on the side and always remove them so I don't have to see them when burning the candle. I put my logo label (mfg. info, net weight, fragrance) on the top and the warning label (with fragrance) on the bottom. Nothing to interfere with the pretty candle burning.

it really depends on the area and especially the venue on how well the JJ sells (and the hex). Alot of consumers associate the JJ and hex with a true handmade product. They are also conducive to the "country" look. But the same jars in an "upscale" shop might not sell, where down the street at a market, they will fly off the tables.

I totally agree. This style is casual and appeals to the "country" look. I also make status (metro) jars, some selected Libbey jars and hex jars, which look more "upscale." The half-pint masons are by far our biggest seller. The container cost is lower than more upscale jars and it's just the right size to last for many burn sessions, yet not so large that the customer will have it a real long time. I want to get customers "hooked" so they'll keep coming back for more. ;) Large container candles are a major buttpain to test. From observations in the homes (both humble and grand) of customers, they frequently end up looking embarrassingly ratty because most customers do not care for their big candles well. They leave wick trimmings, matches (UGH), dead moths who flew too close to the flame, allow sooting to occur (by burning the candles in drafts), etc. By the time those big gorgeous candles are half-consumed, they look like crap! No one much thinks about the lack of care - they notice how crappy the candle looks and whose name is on it! While a big beautiful candle may take a couple of weeks to sell at $20 - $35 bucks, I can sell 3 dozen at $7-8 each.

I am proud to make a high-quality candle that's affordable to most folks. I am just as proud of those "country" style candles as I am the classier style containers that I pour. No matter what kind of container I pour in, people will get a high quality candle in exchange for their hard-earned dollars. IMHO, that's good business and earns respect from high dollar customers and budget-minded ones. :)

I'm always looking for new styles to try. I have some straight sided lug jars (7, 9, 12, and 16 oz sizes) coming next week. Going to try black tops on them. If the don't look good, only out a few bucks. I am not only a FOHO, think I am a jarHO, too, LOL! Still debating on the 8 oz Masons.

Cheers,

Steve

There is a customer for every kind of candle, and a candle for every kind of customer. I find it very distasteful to put down the business decisions of someone with whom you are neither acquainted, nor familiar with their market - or sales history.

One mans “unique and exciting” is another mans “ugly and tacky” one mans “plain and ugly” is another mans “cozy and homey”.

The point of going into business is to make money. The "big" candle makers dont make money simply because they use tumblers. We use tumblers and have pretty boxes too.

They make money because they can afford branding, marketing, and risky investments in wholesale accounts. I make a beautiful tumbler that rivals any $40 candle on the market, creamy wonderful soy candle.. all the things those "fancy" candle buyers look for. I wholesale them to a boutique that sells them for $38.00 and sells them quite well. I couldnt move them at $38.00 at my farmers markets, shows, or online to save my life.

Why? Because I dont have a photographer, a brand name thats well known locally, or a beautiful store shelf to put it on. They do. Thats it, thats the only difference. I dont sell them on my website, because... they dont sell. My more affordable candles do, at shows and online. Its that simple. My customers ASK for them.

I take offence to the fact that someone would view my line or anyone elses line as "plain and ugly" based on one simple glance or based on the fact that they personally dont like jars. Pretty sure comments like that are throwing rather large stones in alot of our directions.

That’s my .02c...

Ditto Luminous. Plus, I would add that I used to make an assortment of jars including some very pretty apothecaries in addition to the jelly jars. However, my customers are too damn cheap to pay the costs associated with more expensive jars. They just want the candle to smell good. End of story. I live in a rural area that does not see the benefit of a pretty container. They would rather buy two candles in an 8 ounce jj than one in a more expensive jar. Granted there are some people who would pay for the jar but I can't afford to have a bunch of candles sitting around waiting for that person to buy it. So I make what sells.

Personally, I can't understand why someone would go to all the expense and years to learn how to make a perfect candle and then, when they use that talent to go into business, they choose something their customers do not want to buy.

I would have to agree with what some have said as far as the jj go. If you have a nice shop or an upscale business that carries them the more expensive upscale looking jars will sell extremely well. But for many of us we are just online sales, fundraisers, local craft fairs, flea markets and farmers markets, and for those of us that have these type sales the bigger more expensive looking jars just don't sell. Why? Because of the increase in price due to the jars. I have seen some really beautiful looking candles at places that sat there with little or no sales at all b/c of the cost when they are buying up others that are in the jj, mason etc. b/c the customers can buy say 2 of these type as opposed to 1 of the other more upscale jars. And I would also agree that people seem to associate homemade with the jj, mason, hex etc. When you are a small company (without the big bucks for marketing, the manpower or machine power to kick out hundreds of candles at one time and have the money to buy upscale jars at actual decent prices) we have to do what sells to keep our business afloat. And honestly I have not had a single person ever to say something like I hate your jars, I'd buy from you if you had better looking jars etc. In my area and the places where we can do shows at the jj and mason are what poeple want. I have looked at some of the more expensive jars but I know they will not sell so why put in more money for something that is just gonna sit there. I know I don't have the money for that. Most of the customers I come across only care about the scent throw, burn, cost etc. To each his or her own, if you don't like a certain candle container then don't buy them, but, why would you, not being a candle maker yourself make comments about our choices of containers and make comments like our jars are ugly, plain or whatever?? When you don't have any experience with what customers want, what sells, what doesn't, and have a clue as to how the types of shows most of us are at won't support the more expensive candles. Not throwing any stones here as I understand that's your personal choice as a consumer, but, you can't throw stones at others buisness choices when you don't have any idea of what our customers want and actually do buy.

Deb totally agree with you why in the world would any of us go through the learning, testing etc and try to sell something people don't want. :confused:

8 ounce JJ is all I sell at shows and to 1 wholesaler.At the shows no one even looked at the pretty 10 ounce classic.If they did the price was more than they wanted to pay and believe me I am very reasonable.Now it is only 8 ounce JJ and a few tarts.The same thing tarts never sell like the 8 ounce JJ. I keep making fewer and fewer tarts every year. :confused:

I do have another wholesaler who likes the classic jar.She gets alot of those every year.Approx 300 or more. So I keep that jar on hand for just her.

I tried my labels different ways too but I liked them on the lid.The candles were handled so much with the labels on the jar they became nasty looking. When I tried to take the labels off to replace them it was impossible. A mess.

I get orders from people from shows.Not alot but after this year I am quitting shows.Letting all my customers know this.Give them the info to contact us and we won't be back next year. Shows are time consuming, expensive, work getting ready/ setting up/taking down for just $350-$450.

LynnS

We actually offer both a 12oz jj for those who want more of a country look and a 7oz. tumbler for those that want a more modern look. In the rural areas the jj's outsell the tumblers 10-1, but there are some people that want something more modern. In urban areas tumblers outsell the jj's, but it depends on the retailer also.

But each collection is marketed differently, the jj's are all about country scents and the tumblers are spa and upscale fragrances. And we do not offer the spa line in jj's and vice versa.

A lot of it depends on packaging and marketing. We spent literally hundreds of hours designing and creating our labels, packaging and website. We met with primitive shop owners, spa and salon owners, upscale boutique owners, museums etc and got their feedback on our presentation and packaging. And the feedback we received was great, we tweaked certain things to achieve our final design. In doing this it has helped us go head to head with the big candle companies, in may of the retailers we are in we are right next to Candleberry, McCalls and Yankee and we do very well. Its always nice to see the Candleberry rep smelling our candles.:P

We have a growing wholesale business, and we do select craft fairs and festivals and we always sell our candles and melts at the same price as you will find in a retailer that carries our line (although we do have specials, 3 for $X, and 4 melts for $X).

At some of these festivals and fairs there are other soy candles that are alot cheaper than us, but we do a great business because we market ourselves as a premium artisanal candle company. People can tell the difference and see the time we have spent on our candles and most choose to go with us, and they come back also.

It comes down to quality, presentation and taking the time to research where to find the best containers. When we first starting researching containers i had a huge list of the ones I wanted, but the shipping would have drove our wholesale price up to the point that it would not be feasible. We get our containers locally, but for 2 months I was having our jj's shipped from Cleveland and wanted to increase our profit margin so after alot of googling, phone calls and research we found a local supplier that carried the same jj's.

Sorry to stir up a hornet's nest. I truly did not mean to offend anyone. I will leave it at that instead of digging myself in further.

Thanks to those who explained what sells in their markets. It gave me a better perspective.