Full Trace

ILVCANDLES

I am worried. I was watching a video tutorial and the lady advised soap did not have to reach a full trace before pouring. I tried it & the soap turned hard but there was a liquid layer on the bottom of my soap when I removed it from the mold. Should I throw the soap away or see if the oil soaks back in? Thanks!

ITA w/Barbara Al, give it some time. It may reabsorb.

I think of 'trace' as a generic term that spans a continuum that ranges from very, very thin (almost a milk consistency you get right after you reach a stable emulsion) to medium (like a rich thick chocolate milk) to thick (like cake batter) to very thick (like pudding). Depending on the swirl or effect I'm going for I often pour just after emulsion with no problems whatsoever.

Wishing you well for your batch:).

I don't always wait for full trace. Bunny who is the master maker of soap from here said you don't need full trace. I watched her make some beautiful soaps too.:)

No lie on that! She told me one tap, two tap and three tap on a stick blender is all I need ... I still do more than that though lol. She's not here to reprimand me.

Pouring at thin trace or full emulsion is fine. You may get some separation, but it will reabsorb. I've found that when I pour at a very thin trace, I get more ash and it takes longer to get hard. I've made the same soap (exact same formula, oils taken from same buckets) one at thin trace, other at a thicker trace (not pudding thick, more like gravey) and the thicker one got harder in 6 hours, a struggle to cut with my Tank less than 20 hours later. The thinner trace, made a week before the thicker, still isn't as hard. I also think thicker traced soap gels better.

I watched that swirl tutorial from elements also and decided to try a batch that way. It took 48 hours for the soap to be firm enough to unmold...and even then...it suffered some damage from my fingers it was so soft. While the soap swirls came out great...I've not done soap that way so was shocked at how soft it was after that long. I think I will stick blend it a bit more next time. I didn't get seperation...but the slab was just way too soft for me to work with. I guess I could have let it sit a few more days in the mold. No rush here as I only give as gifts...not sure what my hurry was. LOL...ok...I wanted to see how the swirling came out...that's why I got tired of waiting :)

I watched that swirl tutorial from elements also and decided to try a batch that way. It took 48 hours for the soap to be firm enough to unmold...and even then...it suffered some damage from my fingers it was so soft. While the soap swirls came out great...I've not done soap that way so was shocked at how soft it was after that long. I think I will stick blend it a bit more next time. I didn't get seperation...but the slab was just way too soft for me to work with. I guess I could have let it sit a few more days in the mold. No rush here as I only give as gifts...not sure what my hurry was. LOL...ok...I wanted to see how the swirling came out...that's why I got tired of waiting :)

When you made this one, was it your usual formula? Did it go through gel? If it didn't gel that could totally explain the softness.

Hi TallTayl...Love your name btw :)

Yes, usual formula. It did not gel. I figured it not gelling was the reason. I use a wooden mold with silicone liner and wrapped in a towel and it still didn't gel. I should have just let it be and not been so antsy to see how the swirling came out. I'm going to have to really trim up the bars lol. I do usually stick blend to a cake batter consistency...so was a bit nervous doing it at such a light light trace. The swirl was definetly easier to do though this way.

ILVCandles....how did your soap turn out? Did the oil soak back in?

Edited by debratant
added something

Hi TallTayl...Love your name btw :)

Yes, usual formula. It did not gel. I figured it not gelling was the reason. I use a wooden mold with silicone liner and wrapped in a towel and it still didn't gel. I should have just let it be and not been so antsy to see how the swirling came out. I'm going to have to really trim up the bars lol. I do usually stick blend to a cake batter consistency...so was a bit nervous doing it at such a light light trace. The swirl was definetly easier to do though this way.

ILVCandles....how did your soap turn out? Did the oil soak back in?

Totally makes sense then. I love working on the edge at thin trace just past emulsion. It makes getting even layers in soap a snap. If you try this method again, maybe kick start gel in the oven. If your mold doesn't fit - or isn't that heat safe, you can make a quick and dirty heating pad from plain uncooked rice in a pillow case or even an old towel. sew it securely shut, then MW the bag for a minute or two (like the heating pads for your back), and place it beneath the mold with the usual covering to help boost the gel along.

P.S. my name is thanks to my uber tall horse, Taylor Made. :)