Learning encaustic

Scented

My first two pieces. This stuff is a trip. It's pretty much painting with beeswax and I will definitely do smaller pieces. One goes through a ton of beeswax doing this stuff.

[ATTACH]20353[/ATTACH]

Titled Fire on the Plains

[ATTACH]20354[/ATTACH]

Sunset Over Field

Since these were done on birch panels, I think I'm going to stick to some card sizes for a little bit.

post-23-1394584711_thumb.jpg

post-23-139458471103_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Ang, no I have been studying it online and through books I bought. Finally bought a kit and haven't really used that at all lol. I bought a bunch of other stuff, made my own medium and paints and up and just tried it after deciding not to be so intimidated by something new.

Thanks! Ang, no I have been studying it online and through books I bought. Finally bought a kit and haven't really used that at all lol. I bought a bunch of other stuff, made my own medium and paints and up and just tried it after deciding not to be so intimidated by something new.

I think you did an amazing job for your first try. Maybe you can do a tute here.:wink2:

Thanks for the compliments.

Wow they look great; never heard of that before.

I hadn't heard of it till my mother told me about it. It's actually a very old art form, which surprised me too.

Edited by Scented

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't a smooth, liquid paint unless it's in it's own container and it dries quickly ... it's almost back to solid on the brush from container to canvas. Not sure if there would be hazards using damar crystals (sap basically) and oil paints or dry paint dyes that carry hazardous warnings I believe for inhalation.

I wouldn't hesitate with the beeswax alone, but it won't be hard enough without the damar to withstand heat etc.

Those are beautiful! Exactly what or how is it done? Sorry my mind isn't picturing this at all. Are you painting on canvas? Paper? Cloth? Do you use heated colored beeswax? Do you use a paint brush or some type of applicator brush?:confused:

I don't think I answered you very well before.

I painted on primed birchwood panels. You can paint on the other stuff. It is not solely heated, colored beeswax. It is beeswax mixed with damar crystal and to some degree (mine anyway) were oil paints straining off as much liquid as possible to make the color.

You use natural brushes to paint with. Synthetics will melt and the foam ones aren't worth much after one use. Neither are sponges.

I primed my boards with the medium, using a heat gun to bind each layer and then painted, but each time you paint, you use a heat gun to bind that layer to the next layer ... (except if making cards.)

• 2 weeks later...