Need advice!

:confused: Since I have not had much luck with soy candle making so far I'm asking all of you for advice. One day I want to make a business out of doing this so I would very much appreciate any suggestions! I want to make the following size candles....

Votives, 2, 4 & 6 oz tins, 3 oz hex jar, 5 oz apothecary jar, 8 oz jelly jar and 16 oz mason jar.

I'd like to know what wax works best for all of those. I'm also interested in using all natural pre tabbed wicking as well.:smiley2:

We will probably get smacked for saying this and reemed up and down... but hun... all the info is right here for your taking... research it, google it, use the search feature up top here on craft server.... The best wax to use is what ever wax you find that works best for YOU! Everyone seems to have different thoughts and results.... Best of luck to you!

I use the Millenium soy for all my container candles, including tins, doublewick 120z. cube jars, 8oz square masons, and 16oz apothecary, as well as my clamshell chunks and 2 0z warmer melts. I have had amazing results, and am so glad I made the switch to sustainable soy this past year. I get almost all of my supplies from J&L Creations. They offer the BEST customer service, and are very expedient. I haven't experimented with votives yet, but am working on the clamshell package with the double votives for Fall, '10. I know that J & L carries quality votive wax, and my company will continue using and recommending the products they carry and recommend. They also offer cotton and paper wicks...my company is all about sustainability and recycling, so I hear you on that! Good luck with your new endeavor. I'm new at the sales end, and am just about to launch my website; just have to add the shopping cart (hopefully by June 4)!

Edited by B@BlissStreet

I have to agree with EccoLights. We all have our favorite waxes and wicks, but that doesn't mean you are gonna like them. I like a soy/paraffin blend for all my candles, I quit using straight soy many years ago as it was way to picky with FO's not throwing.

I don't know where you are from, but KY has some good parasoy waxes.........I especially like her wax for votives/tarts. Candle Science also has some good waxes. Shipping from either of these suppliers is good. For my containers I also use a soy/paraffin blend, but it's my own formula of 2 waxes.

I personally like LX wicks for most of my candles, but I only order from Candlewic, as I order 1000's at a time and can get them in the length I want. In a pinch, I've found Candle Science LX wicks burn the same as Candlewic's.

Start out with a couple wax samples and concentrate on one size candle at a time......you have way too many sizes and you'll only frustrate yourself if you test all of them at once.

Use quality FO's, sometimes cheap is cheap and you'll get what you pay for. Unfortunately, you won't know what works for you until you test. Yep candlemaking is a very expensive hobby and if you aren't comfortable with spending money during your testing phase, you need to find a cheaper hobby.

Good luck!! :cool2:

Thank you B@blissstreet and Chris R for the info. I know I have to do my own testing but i do like to hear what works for others even if it may not work for me.

I would like to do a soy/parrafin blend because it may make candle making a little easier but I like the idea of a cleaner, healthier burning candle and if I throw parrafin in the mix I can't say that!

Anybody use palm wax? I was wondering if Palm wax may be an easier wax to work with??

Use quality FO's, sometimes cheap is cheap and you'll get what you pay for. Unfortunately, you won't know what works for you until you test. Yep candlemaking is a very expensive hobby and if you aren't comfortable with spending money during your testing phase, you need to find a cheaper hobby.

Good luck!! :cool2:

ChrisR,

Your post, particularly this portion, is so true. I've spent the last 18 months in research and development, and have spent big $$$ to do so. I learned early on that quality FO is the key to a great scent throw. Don't be afraid to spend the extra couple dollars per lb. to get a quality oil. I purchased a few "duds" when a major seller had a big $12.00 per lb. sale, and regretted about 50% of the purchase. The availability of 300 scents from a supplier does not mean they are top quality. Testing is the only way to achieve optimal results. I swore this would only be a hobby...that was 18 months ago. Now that I've got a stellar product, how can I not market it? :smiley2:

I'll, pointlessly, throw in here that soy is not healthier or cleaner. Especially if you add chemical fragrances to it.

If you say it is, though, it could certainly help sell candles, and is widely done.

Edited by radellaf

I would like to do a soy/parrafin blend because it may make candle making a little easier but I like the idea of a cleaner, healthier burning candle and if I throw parrafin in the mix I can't say that! Anybody use palm wax? I was wondering if Palm wax may be an easier wax to work with??

Soy isn't any healthier than paraffin in the long run, as any and all candles that have a with and burn emits pollutants. Soy wax is chemically processed along with any other wax product, so telling customers it is healthier than paraffin is just a big fib!! :rolleyes2 I thought the soy propaganda stopped, but I guess it's making another round with a new batch of newbies.

Search the Natural threads for information on palm wax and no it isn't easier to work with. All waxes have their little quirks you need to work with!

I think you have to take it one step at a time. Start with a votive kit from your nearest supplier. They generally have everything you need to get started and you pick the fos you want to test. Plus you have someone locally who can answer your questions. HTH.

Steve

Soy isn't any healthier than paraffin in the long run, as any and all candles that have a with and burn emits pollutants. Soy wax is chemically processed along with any other wax product, so telling customers it is healthier than paraffin is just a big fib!! :rolleyes2 I thought the soy propaganda stopped, but I guess it's making another round with a new batch of newbies.

Search the Natural threads for information on palm wax and no it isn't easier to work with. All waxes have their little quirks you need to work with!

Well put ChrisR . . I have tested numerous waxes and have the cleanest and best burning from a parasoy. To each there own . . . Testing is the key no matter who your supplier is ;)

I'll, pointlessly, throw in here that soy is not healthier or cleaner. Especially if you add chemical fragrances to it.

If you say it is, though, it could certainly help sell candles, and is widely done.

Why would you bother to post a "pointless" reply? I feel your information is rude, inaccurate, and ill willed. Please refrain from posting to my replies or threads. We are all here to share, learn, and grow...your attitude doesn't help anyone.

Why would you bother to post a "pointless" reply? I feel your information is rude, inaccurate, and ill willed. Please refrain from posting to my replies or threads. We are all here to share, learn, and grow...your attitude doesn't help anyone.

I'm not sure your attitude is all that great, either, IMO. If you're here to learn, you need to be willing to listen. You might learn things that run counter to your previous beliefs. Search previous threads about this issue. Radellaf hasn't brought up anything that hasn't been discussed before.

I'm not sure your attitude is all that great, either, IMO. If you're here to learn, you need to be willing to listen. You might learn things that run counter to your previous beliefs. Search previous threads about this issue. Radellaf hasn't brought up anything that hasn't been discussed before.

I agree, this subject has been discussed many times, do a search. Alot of newbies come here misinformed, ( I was one a long time ago :rolleyes2) about the "bennefits of soy" So alot of us here understand what Radellaf is saying. In my opinion I do not believe it was meant to be rude.

I started with J-50 and J-223 and then moved on to a parablend soy. I like having the best of both worlds and never thought for a minute that one medium was superior to the other. I know what works for my personal taste and no customer has ever cared if the candle was made from manure, as long as it smelled up their house. There is no sense in the crafting community being defensive about their corner of the market. Play nice and help new comers to avoid costly mistakes in the learning process. Sheesh.

Steve

*hiding*

I've had the best luck (or least amount of headache) with the parasoy blends. IMO, the best of both worlds. And then just when I think I have something fantastic, the companies change things and it's back to the drawing board. :angry2: You're just going to have to decide what you want from your candles and go from there.

I'm currently testing the CB Excel and I have GB 464 on the way. SO the fun never ends. I know some people use different waxes and combos for different sizes and containers. If you're not addicted yet, then I recommend you run while you can.