Do you have Reps??

SheilaRae

I am curious as to what people do for their reps ?

When I bought this business the previous owner had gone in this direction so I of course am continuing with what works.

Well I am also taking on new reps but it seems some of them maybe are greedy, or not as serious and asking for way to much "free" stuff and commission.

Anyone here deal with reps? What do you send them to take around and show? What commission do you pay?

Have you ever run into "bad eggs" ?

TIA

I've asked this question too but got no response so far. I have a seller so its very informal but I am trying to get an idea of what their commission and benefits are so I can price accordingly.

Hopefully someone will chime in. I would also like to know where I can locate some reps.

Edited by Candybee

Well the gal who used to own my business had a ton of reps, but they died off with the fall of economy and such.

So I am rebuilding my rep base. I know how and where to get them, but just want to make sure I am not being taken for a free ride.. ya know.

I have alot of interest in people wanting to rep my products, but just need to weed out the real from the takers.

The normal commission is 15% of orders. I think that is fair, but it doesn't give a candle maker much leeway to offer price cuts of shipping discounts to the stores buying the product.. but yet.. without a rep my line wouldn't be where it is today.

NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was having some slight conflict with a rep. She was my largest rep which brought me big bucks. I didnt jump when she said so and she didnt like that. She would make arrangements with customers including free shipping which i never approved. Ended up being in a lawsuit and she took my ENTIRE line and handed it over to another manufactuere! THey are EVIL!!!! IN the long run, I didnt loose any customers, but i did learn a valuable lesson. NEVER TRUST A REP AGAIN!

Thanks for the input :)

I am really surprised more people don't have reps. It is a great way to get your product in stores that might not have known about you.

My only issue is finding reps that are go getters :) I have one that is pushing really hard in one state.. but want all of them to push ;)

• 1 year later...

I recently posted an add on Craigslist for an experienced rep who wanted to add another line (many reps sell multiple lines of products from many different suppliers). I had no luck, had a few nutjobs, a few people who replied like they were typing a text message, and a few that had no idea what a sales rep did (did I not say EXPERIENCED???). So no luck there. I just do not have the time to visit stores and pour and test and develop new lines (and do the military thing) at the moment. But I do know some people with businesses that are passing me names of the reps who visit them. Hopefully that might pan out. I am not in a position to have a full time rep just selling my products...they would starve, LOL. I know, no help here, sorry.

Cheers,

Steve

I am adding this feature to my business as soon as I get home from vacation. I have one full time rep ready for anything, and a part time rep that I plan to have shadow the full time rep. My issue is printing my order forms, contracts, etc. I just can't find enough hours in the day.

What is the average percentage reps get paid? What does Scentscy or Partylite pay? I wish I wasn't so busy with school...my customers are clamming for this service.

Interesting information, the article makes it sound so easy. Wonder if people stationed at bases around the world would be interested in my candles.

Something to look into I guess. Military communities are often tight knit and I can actually see them selling well in this mannor.

Edited by Flickering Dream
typos...again!

I don't understand how you can afford to pay a rep. If an 8oz. candle retails for $8, wholesales for $4 then you pay your rep 15% (.60) you end up with $3.40 left. It costs me $2.54 that is last years costs for raw materials only, not insurance, electric, labor, etc. I haven't even figured this years raw costs up yet. You end up with less than .90 per candle. Is it really worth it? Plus, who pays for this sales reps gas milelage?

I recently posted an add on Craigslist for an experienced rep who wanted to add another line (many reps sell multiple lines of products from many different suppliers). I had no luck, had a few nutjobs, a few people who replied like they were typing a text message, and a few that had no idea what a sales rep did (did I not say EXPERIENCED???). So no luck there. I just do not have the time to visit stores and pour and test and develop new lines (and do the military thing) at the moment. But I do know some people with businesses that are passing me names of the reps who visit them. Hopefully that might pan out. I am not in a position to have a full time rep just selling my products...they would starve, LOL. I know, no help here, sorry.

Cheers,

Steve

DITTO! We must be paddling in the same boat and not noticing each other! LOL (though I'm bath and body and looks like you're candles.) I'm a retail manager and have asked reps that sell TO me for the other business, but they already have bath and body lines or are "employees" of a company so can't sell on the side, etc. Such a bummer! That's why I revived this thread. LOL

I don't understand how you can afford to pay a rep. If an 8oz. candle retails for $8, wholesales for $4 then you pay your rep 15% (.60) you end up with $3.40 left. It costs me $2.54 that is last years costs for raw materials only, not insurance, electric, labor, etc. I haven't even figured this years raw costs up yet. You end up with less than .90 per candle. Is it really worth it? Plus, who pays for this sales reps gas milelage?

I can see your point. I do not have sales reps, but have been toying with the idea. How I understand it though (so please correct me if I am wrong) that if your paying commission of a wholesale price, then your rep sold a larger order. I'm still working on my wholesale "contract", but I am setting minimums that they must order in order to get that price. So, your strength comes in numbers.

Using your example, lets just say the minimum is 4 cases of 12 candles. Since your profit is $0.86 per candle, you would earn $41.28 for the whole order. To me, then it doesn't look as bad.

It is how you look at it. If your thinking about adding reps, maybe raise your prices a little to help offset the costs.

I know what you mean Steve. Selling in AAFES is my one day goal! I did know that they do not enter into business contracts with active durty or their family members. Makes sence to me if you are deployed then they can't get the contract filled. Fortunately I am close to retirement and then LOOK OUT! Military Candles IS my retirement plan.

Tom

I think it is 15% if retail, not wholesale. With that, a $19.95 candle would be a $2.99 commission leaving $16.96, still above wholesale. The one post said they give 10% commission on wholesale orders with a minimum purchase.

I pay my sales reps (not in the candle business part of things) 15% of a discount rate I offer my customers. If the reps only sell one unit and the customer is paying a bigger amount, the rep still gets the commission of the lower rate. This encourages them to sell more to the customer to get more in commission. I hope this makes sense.