Wick Stick ems....

Anyone use these?? If so.. does this happen to you?

I center my wicks up, with the wick stick ems. Pour my wax, cure, etc.

Burning the candle.. everything is great.... until i have about 1.5 - 2 inches left in my jar of wax, then the little bugers slide over to the sides......???

I do burn on a level surface, and this has happened to i'd say 8 out of 10 candles.

I think I'm going to have to go back to my plumber's putty.. meh.

I have ones from BCN and the same thing happens to me. After I use the setter I go back and push down hard to set them. I even clean the glass with alcohol to make sure there is no grease. I have heard some use silicone caulking but I have yet to try it, might have to now.

I have never heard of using plumbers putty.

I got mine from Peak. I also use an empty pen casing and slide the wick through it to push down on the wick to help it adhere. Then I do all around the sides of it too..

Oh and I meant the mold sealant, not plumber's putty.. sorry! (Got the plumbers putty to use instaed of the mold sealant because that stuff still gave me leaks with the pillars) But yeah.. I used it to stick the tabs to the jar, which worked really really well, and it comes off easily after the candle is done too. Leaves a little residue, but I clean my jars by hand and make sure everything is off of them before I use them again..

I decided to finally try the stickums because it seemed so much more simple, but then the sliding happened. So, maybe I'll try ordering from somewhere else and see how they work, or just go back to the mold sealant.. :undecided

i had that problem with bcns so i tried taylored concepts they work great, i now have some of candlemakers to try. i use my wick setter to push them on, then i take popsicle sticks and push all around them. i havent had one come undone yet.

No matter where I got my wick stickums from, they would detach towards the end of the burn. I finally started using the GE Silicone.

Some don't like to do this because it needs to be done ahead of time. The silicone needs time to dry, so I do mine the day before. I still use the stickems on my test candles. It is hard to get the silicone wicks out of the jar.

Yes, I cleaned the jars, wiped them out really well and no matter what, I still had problems, not always, but for me once is one time too many. If that wick comes up and wonders to the side of the jar, you take a real risk in the container heating up too much and breaking.

I don't know why some have problems and others don't, but this is what I did to take care of the problem. BTW, I also double wick my palm wax candles.

i double wick..in 4" diameter jars..

i press mine down really good with one of those paint stirrer sticks..

they are kind of thicker on the end and they are wood so they don't slip off as easy, and you can get a good strong push..

my stickums are on a roll with the tabs sticking out to the side..

I had that happen to me one time.....I ran out of my BCN stickums and went to another supplier and it was a disaster. I will only buy from BCN and won't take the chance and go to another company. BCN did have at one time a bad batch of them but they were fixed afterwards.

The only other choice when I ran short on them is what Stella on this board does. She said to get the GE silicone in the red tube and she said they will never get unstuck......she sure was right on that! I couldn't reuse the jar after and threw it away. That silicone was stuck for life! Thanks Stella! Was a life saver.

Trappeur

If ONE stickum or hot glue glob fails, that's one too many. The high-temp silicon gasket maker does a good job. It can be easily removed with a single-edge razor blade, but getting one down into some containers is problematic. :undecided

Safety remains my primary focus when making candles. Ease of reusing the container is not high on my priority list. Perhaps I'll figure out how to make some tool to remove the wick tabs more easily and market that with the candles! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I whole heartedly agree with you Stella one loose stickum is one too many. Oh and when I mentioned reusing the jar, I meant only for myself.....I would never reuse a jar and sell to the public....ever...just like I won't buy a jar from any place but a candle jar company. I know so many buy from the dollar store, etc....but I just can't feel comfortable to put on to the public a candle in a jar that is not recommended for that purpose.... Safety is my top priority!:)

Trapp

We have either used high-temp hot glue sticks or BCN stickums and haven't had any problems with sliders, but we may have just been really fortunate, too.

Also, I got a new toy that also really helps you apply a decent amount of pressure on the tab--an EZ wick setter tool, which takes all of the challenge out of wick centering in containers if it doesn't have an indention in the bottom to help with the centering. We were using the barrel of an ink pen as our tool, and there's nothing wrong with that, just that we like this wick setter tool better.

I had that happen to me one time.....I ran out of my BCN stickums and went to another supplier and it was a disaster. I will only buy from BCN and won't take the chance and go to another company. BCN did have at one time a bad batch of them but they were fixed afterwards.

I remember that batch. It happened around the holidays too!! AAAHHH

It was horrible.

I did get them from the CMS during that time and they worked great.

Never had a problem with them.

So I use both suppliers for the stickums.

We were using the barrel of an ink pen as our tool, and there's nothing wrong with that, just that we like this wick setter tool better.
I've been meaning to try one of those things... I have a nice collection of pen barrels in different lengths & diameters but if the tool would allow one to honk down on the wicktab mo' better, I'd chunk the collection in the garbage in a heartbeat! :D

I have two other stickum products I want to try - the 3M stickies that Steve & Top use and some higher temp glue. The high temp glue I have works nearly all the time, but I had some failures that allowed the wick to keep sucking liquid wax under the tab (instead of self-extinguishing at the top of the tab as planned) that were a little alarming. Only a few actually let go and walked... When I burn my candles reasonably, I don't have problems, but powerburns are where the trouble generally rears its ugly head - and that's what I am afraid some of my customers do on a regular basis! :wink2:

Edited by Stella1952

I have been testing with the 3M stickies and they don't seem to budge, but I have only tested a few of them.

I think I'm going to burn them on a candle warmer just to see what happens...if they still don't budge after that abuse I would think they are good to go...lol

Edited by lsbennis

Debbie, they are 3M Mounting Squares. The material comes either as square stickies on sheets or in a roll. They are available from office supply places or WalMart. Steve & Top (among others) use these and like them. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952