Candle Nose!!!

I think I have candle nose really bad! I cannot smell any of my scents. I am worried about my soy candles not throwing well. I have tried everything to correct my problem with my nose. I keep getting rave reviews from my coworkers and they keep buying my candles like crazy as well. But my brain tells me that my candle does not smell strongly!! :cry2:

I hate this when it happens, i have sniffed coffee and everything to try to smell some scents, i can't smell anything with vanilla in it. i have 3 snowman jar full of crembrulee and to me they don't smell strong now like i think they should and i have been worring my self sick at the thought that maybe they not. and these are for other people that ordered them.

I just had this happen to me for the first time. After staying up VERY late pouring like a zillion different scents, I woke up and couldn't smell a single one! I was hysterical...After a full day at work, I came home and I could finally smell them a little. It is so bizarre.

HI there,,,Go and get yourself a small can of grounded french roast folgers coffee,,NOT the beans and you can not sniff your coffee either,,I tried that,,,:rolleyes2 I keep a can handy,,works very well,,,or I have heard of "smelling the inside of your elbow":shocked2: I dont know about anyone else but I would not want to do this in front of customers,,although I do smell devine with the Raspberry Vanilla Shea Butter my secret buddy sent me;) Sorry sillyness started in,,,,HTH:highfive:

I think I have candle nose really bad! I cannot smell any of my scents. I am worried about my soy candles not throwing well. I have tried everything to correct my problem with my nose. I keep getting rave reviews from my coworkers and they keep buying my candles like crazy as well. But my brain tells me that my candle does not smell strongly!! :cry2:

Yep, I am going through this right now too. I have been pouring so much that even my strongest scents do not seem as strong. It makes me feel self-conscious about my candles now, but I keep getting calls for more. It makes me think, "maybe my candles are not as highly scented as I thought and I just convinced myself that they were." But, I know this cannot be true, because I know a good throw when I smell it, and they were smelling strong. It is maddening when candlenose sets in. Hang in there. Maybe take a few days break and then see if you can smell them. It usually works for me. You know, I also notice now that I can smell my candles more in my friends' houses than I can in mine. Isn't that weird? santa roll

I've been doing a fair amount of pouring too.

Fruit smells are still pretty good if I press them against my nose, but when burning they smell like fuel. The awesome creme brulee I used to love smells like a fairly pleasant sort of plastic. I snorted Folgers but it neither helped nor gave me a buzz.

I've also been testing a new mottle formulation using an FO I just HATE and I can smell that one perfectly no matter what. I can smell it cold from a 3 inch pillar 6 feet away with 2 georgia peach votives burning next to me.

Sigh.

I've been doing a fair amount of pouring too.

Fruit smells are still pretty good if I press them against my nose, but when burning they smell like fuel. The awesome creme brulee I used to love smells like a fairly pleasant sort of plastic. I snorted Folgers but it neither helped nor gave me a buzz.

I've also been testing a new mottle formulation using an FO I just HATE and I can smell that one perfectly no matter what. I can smell it cold from a 3 inch pillar 6 feet away with 2 georgia peach votives burning next to me.

Sigh.

Hi Top,

I am having a late night laugh. You crack me up....but it is so true...scents that you use to love start smelling like something else, etc.....and that dreadful fuel. Isn't that horrible? I can't even let it keep burning. I have to blow it out and say, "that is a no-go....yuck!"

Sometimes I feel that candle making is like cooking....after awhile it is more fun to smell other people's candles than your own. :tongue2:

By the way, thanks for the compliment on the little santa roll face in another thread....a little delayed. It is actually on the "more" smilie list at the bottom.

~Holly

As much as you may scoff, get a respirator. Once you're done and you take it off, you'll be able to smell everything. Trust me, it works.
I use one while mixing and pouring, but if you're around the stuff all day it's hopeless to keep your sense of smell working. It's still a good thing. I recommend this one with the organic vapor cartridges. http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_992.asp?desc=Reusable+Respirators+%26+Supplies

I know when I am transporting candles to work I can often smell them in the car. The first day I brought new candles into work, I could here people in the hallway commenting on the wonderful smells coming from my office so I know the scent is there. I have been pouring with tried and true scents that I have worked with for months and years. Still makes you doubt though.

Holly I totally agree with you on being able to smell them at someone elses house. I'll go over to my daughters house and as soon as I walk in I'll ask what smells so good. She just rolls her eyes and says Duh, Mom it's your candle burning.

As much as you may scoff, get a respirator. Once you're done and you take it off, you'll be able to smell everything. Trust me, it works.

I have one and I should wear it more, but I don't. I need to make myself be more consistent in wearing it. I agree, I think it will help some and I think it is healthier to wear it.

I'm second guessing my self to Goosebay, i have doubt about some of my scents now. Grandson came over lastnight , got cool in his bedroom so had to turn heater on ... he came in here a little while later and said grannie those bears are killing me LOL! i dipped them a few days ago they look real pretty but i can't smell them, he put them out on to the table in dinning room, then my dh asked me this morning was i going let him take to the people at bingo place to sell, i told him no because i couldn't smell them strong like i like for things to be, he says i'm crazy! they have plenty scent in them LOL! creme brulee is what people wants the most and now i;m afraid they don't smell good, i know those i put in the jars did when i made them a couple weeks ago , but maybe its just me but they don't smell as strong. does anyone think the plastic in the lid might suck up the fo out of them:rolleyes2

Another trick I read about a couple years ago was to take your shirt and pull it up over your nose and inhale deeply for a few minutes. Once you put your shirt back down, you are able to smell again for at least a few minutes. At first I thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard, but tried it and it actually worked. :) When my customers are standing in my booth and getting overwhelmed by the scents, I tell them to do the same thing and they find it works too. You kind of look ridiculous but I figure, what the hey! I also do the coffee beans trick.

I have the vapor respirator and it works great when I remember to use. I keep it on for everything from start to finish, even clean up. I try to keep the windows open too. This way I can smell the next day when I light them.

I agree with Top, why is it the fo you hate shows up loud and clear above all the other smells.

I have a scent called Fresh Coffee. It smells great at first then I get so sick of it. I can barely have a candle of it in my car now because I swear I smell it forever afterward. I dread it when someone orders one.

It's funny to hear about the sniff your shirt trick. I just had a girl tell me this at the farmers market today as I was selling.