Keeping Costs Down

NaturallyTru

Limiting suppliers to 4 (CS, Peaks, MMS, PaperMart)... buying locally (MMS) to save on shipping.. bulk orders... pouring only one jar this year (my 8oz mason, bestseller) trying to limit my amount of FO's to best sellers....

the interesting thing is I used to offer up 30 scent choices... but in doing group testing and in asking friends and family, again and again I came down to a list of 15-20 that actually sold and people responded to really strongly, and I had people tell me that more than 10-15 was confusing and gave them too many options.. I was shocked by that. So thats what I'm sticking to this season.... keeping the best sellers and walking away from the rest so I can turn a profit. We'll see how it goes.

Using up or selling off all the "extras" I have in the workshop rather than going out and buying a ton of new seasonal stuff. I was amazed at how many things I had stashed once I started cleaning! Using them up turns it into cash I can use to buy what I really need rather than it just being dead stock on my shelves that takes up space. The bonus is once I have more storage space I can buy necessities in larger quantities to save on material costs AND shipping charges.

I do a lot of shipping so instead of buying boxes I simply reuse boxes that my supplies are shipped in. I also use the free boxes available from the Post Office. Other crafters give me their empty supply boxes at craft shows when they know I will put them to good use. I use all of my old newspapers (and my neighbors newspapers) as packing material...the same with all of those styrofoam peanuts that my own supplies come packed in. Every little bit helps!

Well I have to use up whatever item before it can be considered an emergency purchase as I have a tendency to stock and store. However, it concerns me that I have to get dangerously low before I can order ... i.e. down to about 6 oz of Epsom salt before ordering ... of course stocking up with 50 pounds of the stuff that may or may not last into June. Hard to say as other items get too low before I'm allowed to buy. Might serve me right, but it's annoying lol. Definitely trying to get around shipping costs, which getting 100 pounds of salts with free shipping as opposed to $50+ to send is pretty sweet IMO.

After the first four months last year I had to curb my FO buying and then this Moonworks Collection person (cough) forced me out of resistance. If I ever get down to five suppliers that will be a miracle, but I'm not trying to get there lol.

LOL....hrmmm...well buying in bulk is always my first choice, especially in FOs. Other than that, I keep a limited amount of certain items in stock. People are usually understanding about it (especially since I'm moving soon!), so they don't mind if it takes a little bit longer! :D

Planning ahead...if there is something I would like to try in the future, buying those items when I place a normal order.

Saves on shipping, instead of purchasing when I want to play, instead of paying for shipping for a couple of items.

This past year I pretty much only poured candles as orders came in. No having candles poured up ahead of time to grab and package immediately. It made for a busier time but kept the cost down. I only sell one kind. size and container of candle. Keeping it simple really helps with cost.