Vegetable Oil for Mottling

Asher

Seeking a cheaper alternative to the official "snowflake oil" I actually made a "vegetable oil" votive recently. The resulting mottling was quite disappointing. Granted, I didn't add any fragrance oil (which generally produces its own mottling), but I did use a liberal amount of VO. Apparently, I used too much, since the votive was sweating beads of VO after I removed it from the mold. I'll have to go to plan B, which is mineral oil (as someone had suggested). If that doesn't work I'll just have to overpay for a tiny bottle of "snowflake oil" again.

I like being creative, so I may just poke around the kitchen for some unusual additives. I wonder if vanilla extract will work as a fragrance oil :cool2:

Yeah, you're right!! There is just something scary about putting alcohol in something that has a flame. :D

I bet the candle would burn quite well, though....no need to worry about your wick size. Heck, you wouldn't even need a wick :)

So, vanilla extract doesn't work? I'm quite surprised someone else actually thought of using it.

How about butter? Anyone ever tried to add butter just to see what impact it made? It wouldn't be used for fragrance, obviously, but it might do something crazy to the color and surface texture....or it could just cause a big mess.

See how my mind works? I get bored with doing things the normal way. However, I'm smart enough to know that adding anything water-based to hot wax is a good way to get a bunch of hot liquid projectiles flying around the kitchen.

Have you tried adding hot cocoa mix to wax? Now I'm just getting strange...but isn't this how people come up with some really neat effects? If I do a hot chocolate candle I'll report my results. Same goes with the butter candle. You think I'm kidding, don't you? :smiley2:

I won't do an entire batch, of course...just a test votive.

Heck, you wouldn't even need a wick :)

3053721i.gif

Have you tried adding hot cocoa mix to wax? Now I'm just getting strange...but isn't this how people come up with some really neat effects? If I do a hot chocolate candle I'll report my results. Same goes with the butter candle. You think I'm kidding, don't you? :smiley2:

Asher, You are beginning to scare me........... 3061421i.gif LOL

Let us know what you discover, and if you've come up with some fabulous formula........

That is too funny. Love the photos. Boy, and I thought I was creative ;)

Nice to know that butter is a decent candle fuel. If I were to dissolve a few tablespoons in some wax I wonder what effect it would have on the surface. Maybe it would have none. Maybe it would just rise to the surface and not even mix with the wax. I wish I had the chemistry background that Alan has, but 2 years of general chem and 1 year of organic chem back in college have been forgotten. Who knew I could have used them for creative candlemaking? :cool2:

Well, I may still try to dissolve crystals in the wax (i.e. drink mix crystals). Has that been done? Something tells me there is already a thread about it :)

OMG 3053726i.gif I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT..... vanilla extract contains alcohol - which is flammable - maybe you don't want to put it in a candle........ Just my guess, but I could be wrong!!!!!

:shocked2: I second that! These are the ingredients in McCormicks pure vanilla extract VANILLA BEAN EXTRACTIVES IN WATER, ALCOHOL (35%), AND CORN SYRUP.

Snap, crackle, pop for sure. On second thought.. an interactive candle might sell...LOL!

Dee

I would nix the cocoa powder and drink crystals ideas. I'm thinking the candles probably wouldn't burn well, if at all. That kind of stuff is most likely to severely clog the wick. And what does get through may stink to the high heavens when burned.... Of course, I'm not the one who'd have to smell it or clean up afterwards either ;)

I guess my life is so boring that I found reading Alan's post the most enjoyable entrainment I have had recently. Really cracked me up. Thanks for the link Robin. New inventions are usually the result of insanity.....people have always laughed or discredited people with eccentric ideas. I find it encouraging that we just might survive as a species. Now....what can I light on fire....hmmmmmm.....let me see...Oh...how about lipstick????? When you have car trouble and are out on a dark and lonely road....whip out your tube, insert a wick (don't we all carry those) and Voilà!!!!!!!! It will give you light and heat....saving your life......Donita

I would nix the cocoa powder and drink crystals ideas. I'm thinking the candles probably wouldn't burn well, if at all. That kind of stuff is most likely to severely clog the wick.

You had to go and ruin my fun :cry2: Pesky wicks anyway...who needs 'em?

So, I'm guessing the Jell-o candle project should also be scrapped, since the gelatin would probably clog up the wicks worse than concentrated vanilla frangrance oil.

I guess I'll just have to go back to using boring stearic acid and boring fragrance oils. Where's the fun? :cry2:

I may have to draw the line with motor oil. A "Pennzoil candle" would most certainly not need a wick. It would burn very well....and I'm sure the kitchen would burn along with it. ;)

Is toothpaste oil-based? That could make a very strong minty candle.

After reading thru all this thread and Alan's experiments, I don't feel so dumb for having tried the vanilla extract. I didn't get a chance to test burn it cause the vanilla went straight to the bottom & balled up like hot fudge dropped in water.

Motor oil candle is a cute idea but how about burnt rubber -- call it 'where the rubber meets the road'. :laugh2:

I'll make my new years resolution early... I promise not try any additives without first checking with Alan.