Can we start something like this?

I know some time ago a poll was started about the various waxes. I noticed something similar on another site that I sometimes use to find fragrances (I think it is fragranceoilfinder). Anyway, they also have a section where most waxes are listed and reviewed; they also have comments about scents that were used with that particular wax and results.

Could we start something like that on this board? For example, for the CBL 129 I could write something like:

CBL 129 (Candlewic): very hard to cut, used in containers and for tarts. Often needs a repour. Let cure 48 hours. Fragrances used with this wax: (1)Cool Citrus Basil (Peak's): strong throw. Made tarts. (2) Sugared Plum (Mr. Missy): medium-strong throw. Made tarts.

(3)Creme brulee (KY Candles): light throw. Used a zinc 60-44-18 with an 8oz. tureen.

Hopefully we'll hear from one of the moderators - and members too! Thanks for considering this.:smiley2:

Edited by Ravens
typing errors

What you are suggesting has been thought about before but here is the problem finding some one to take it on. It would be a major undertaking.

Some one would have to collect all this information and compile it then keeping it up to date would be a full time job.

Just collecting the information and compiling it would take weeks if not months to do. Just to keep it up to date would be a real drain on someones time. As new FO and waxes come on the market.

What you are suggesting has been thought about before but here is the problem finding some one to take it on. It would be a major undertaking.

Some one would have to collect all this information and compile it then keeping it up to date would be a full time job.

Just collecting the information and compiling it would take weeks if not months to do. Just to keep it up to date would be a real drain on someones time. As new FO and waxes come on the market.

Well, Vicky, we certainly thank you for volunteering.

So, you'll have that done by Monday, then?:D

Well, if everyone did a post of what kind of wax they were using and it's attributes, then entitled that post with the wax type, it could be done fairly easily.

That has been done and that is easy. Truthfully you can find that at a lot of suppliers web sites but when you start to add wick types and FO that work in what wax start to be a really problem.

Then you run in to a problem just because someone post that a FO or wick type works for them does not mean those result are accurate. Candle making is really subjective to the candle maker.

I am not saying this can not be done. It just the work involve would be a major project for anyone, they would have to have the time, the commitment and be trusted.

I would love to take it on but right now I have to many other commitments that are very time consuming. Because of the commitments I have I can not even promise to try and do it in the future but I would be willing to help anyone that chose to take up this project.

Vicky, would it be possible for you guys to add another subsection in the candlemaking area, for posts on this subject?

Just thinking out loud but if anyone ever DID decide to take up this task, they'd only have to gig through that one section, rather than 3 or 4 different sections with all the other posts to sort through. Plus, in the meantime it might be pretty useful on it's own, as a starting point.

Not sure if it can be done with this forum software or if it would be too much trouble. With some software it's like 2 mouse clicks and type in the title, with others it's major surgery.

Just a thought.

Edited by Dustpuuppy

When I first ventured into candles...I went back into the archives (which is what Darbla brought up) to help guide me in my quest. I found that to be very informative...but quite hard to read. It gave me guidance on a starting point. I think that your suggestion dustpuppy of a seperate section is a great idea.

Yeah, there are two problems I can see with my idea. The first being how difficult it would or wouldn't be to add another section.

The other is that the board could become all bloated and unmanageable if they start adding sections for everything that comes along, thus working the mods to death trying to keep up with it all.

I kinda resonate with Vicki's comment about the reliability of the information.

The places where I've seen this done seem to accumulate a lot of noise over time - like wicking suggestions that are all over the place. Sometimes you're just as well off starting with a general wicking guide. Maybe you even find a better solution with an open mind and testing rather than focusing on a suggestion. So many people post here having purchased only the one wick someone told them would work. We may not want to encourage that with something that seems like a quick reference guide.

When you throw in fragrances, things can get even more random. FOs are tested under such varying conditions with varying expectations and so many different noses. It can get very subjective.

The fact that you can find some of this information by reading past threads is maybe just right. You have to work to get it, so it helps weed out people looking for a quick shortcut. Plus it's all in the context of discussion, with perhaps more detailed descriptions of results and some varying points of view.

So I dunno, I guess I have reservations about whether this concept would provide enough value for the resources that go into it.

That has been done and that is easy. Truthfully you can find that at a lot of suppliers web sites but when you start to add wick types and FO that work in what wax start to be a really problem.

Then you run in to a problem just because someone post that a FO or wick type works for them does not mean those result are accurate. Candle making is really subjective to the candle maker.

I strongly agree with Vicky about this. In the veggie wax forum, there are stickies for what works for folks in soy & palm wax and what blends some people use... But truly - someone would have to use the exact same container or mold, and the exact same wick type & size and exact same FO from the exact same supplier using exactly the same amount in the exact same type of wax with the same exact additives, dyes & amounts before one could halfway depend upon the perceived results being the same. And even then, things don't smell the same to each individual...

Bottom line is that what works great for me and I think is DA BOMB, someone else might think stinks like old tennis shoes or has no throw at all...

To do an even halfway reasonable job would take some labor intensive relational database work... constant updating... constant disagreement about the results... etc.

To me, candlemaking is very subjective and creative ... I'm not sure I would want a "paint by number" guide to candlemaking...:undecided I might glance at a database and I have seen a few online, but I honestly didn't find them very interesting nor helpful. Keeping one's OWN relational database of candlemaking has a LOT more appeal to me... :)

Well, Vicky, we certainly thank you for volunteering.

So, you'll have that done by Monday, then?:D

OK I'm at work and am on a big project due any minute now so no WAY should I be reading here.

And now I'm going to get in trouble because I've been sitting here laughing out loud after reading this post.

You are a very naughty puppy for putting me in this situation. :laugh2:

I strongly agree with Vicky about this. In the veggie wax forum, there are stickies for what works for folks in soy & palm wax and what blends some people use... But truly - someone would have to use the exact same container or mold, and the exact same wick type & size and exact same FO from the exact same supplier using exactly the same amount in the exact same type of wax with the same exact additives, dyes & amounts before one could halfway depend upon the perceived results being the same. And even then, things don't smell the same to each individual...

Don't forget room temperature, time of year, humidity, barametric pressure, elevation, etc., etc.. :laugh2:

Don't forget room temperature, time of year, humidity, barametric pressure, elevation, etc., etc.. :laugh2:

...phase of the moon, your date of birth, direction of the wind, how wooly are the caterpillars, whether you stepped on a crack while pouring...:cheesy2: