Heat Gun

SOme people use a hair blow dyer until they graduate to the heat gun. Some prefer the blow dyer. Personally mine never got hot enough. I bought my heat gun, in the painting section at Ace Hardware. It has 2 settings 1000 degrees and something like 750 degrees. I love love love it! It is a very wise investment. You will find a million and one uses for it. Leveling, cleaning molds, cleaning tools, smoothing tops of container candles, etc. etc.... A definate must have as far as tools are concerned. Mine was $20 and they were like $19 at wal-mart without the second setting. I shopped around a bit first.

I see many of you speak of a heat gun. Would this be a hair blow dryer or the thing you would use to strip paint. Thanks all

Exactly! And once you get it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!! LOL

I use an embossing gun.....the kind you use to do stamped cards with. These are sold at Michaels.

I've found this one great. Have had it two years and use it constantly. So far no problems :D:D

Always wondered what the difference between the heat gun and an embossing tool was? which gets hotter-does one smooth tops better than the other? I usually have to run the h. gun over my candles 2-3x before they are smooth -any suggests as to what I'm doing wrong or does everyone have to. (Hope its OK to add to your question :) )

Always wondered what the difference between the heat gun and an embossing tool was? which gets hotter-does one smooth tops better than the other? I usually have to run the h. gun over my candles 2-3x before they are smooth -any suggests as to what I'm doing wrong or does everyone have to. (Hope its OK to add to your question :) )

The embossing tool has a small opening where the heat comes out and is easy to use on a candle. It is pretty hot because it melts the top of the candle right away. I believe they are much cheaper than a heat gun too. I have had mine for a long time and cannot remember what I paid for it but I know it was not very much. My candles get smooth with on shot unless there is sink holes in them. I just changed waxes so the sink holes won't be a problem anymore anyway. HTH