Salt/Spa Bar Recipe

TheWickedWick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help. I recently saw a short video at Go Planet Earth that demonstrated a pretty salt bar in a neat faceted jewel mold that seemed interesting. Might give it a shot..not that I need one more thing to do but would add an interesting item to offer.

Thanks again.

Karen

Found this. It's not MP, but you might gleen something from it.

I'm thinking if she's adding the sea salt at trace, then your idea should work ?

Pictures on the site.

The recipe:

82.5% Coconut oil

12.5% Avocado oil

5% Castor oil

Medium Size Sea Salt equal to the weight of oils

15% Super Fat

20% water discount

I added the salt at trace and then poured into a wooden loaf mold and put into the oven preheated to 170*. Turned the oven off and left the soap in there for 1.5 hours then took out and cut. The salts were dyed with FD&C red # 33, which turned the whole bar a pick color.

The way I always did it with m&p is I used fine grain sea salt and added it to the soap when it was cool and then poured when it was even cooler and it suspended every time.

I guess you could compare it to medium to thick trace with cp.

Hope that helps...

I think I need to go and make some salt bars- love em!!

I made these a couple years ago. (green and blue bars)I waited for the soap to cool a bit then added a mix of sea and epsom salt. They were awesome for about 3 weeks then disaster struck. The soap started to melt from the inside out. I never delved into it again but would like to someday.

saltcoal.jpg

Salt draws in moisture and M&P soap also has a tendancy to sweat so the 2 just dont do so well together. Once this soap hits the showers you can pretty much bank on it turning into a sloppy mess within a couple of days/weeks. This is just my opinion and experience. Maybe someone else has had some success that will chime in on this one.

• 2 months later...

It is possible to make an mp salt bar, I have made one with the same principle as a cp salt bar only adding FBB to the mix as well. You will need to google to find suppliers of FBB but it makes this recipe in my opinion.

The bar is hard, but not as hard as a cp bar and not as smooth. The salt added is normal table salt. The recipe is on another forum complete with descriptions of how to make the salt bar. The mp salt bar gives a similar lotion feel when used and sets up very quickly 20 minutes until you NEED to cut it. I have added coarse rock salt to the top only there is double the amount of salt to the mp used.

I used a low sweat bar (cp like) yes and I still have the salt bars sitting here some 2 years later. Sex on the beach was the FO.

Here are two photos of the one I made

P1010399.jpg

P1010395-1.jpg

it definitely is possible to make an mp salt bar yes.

HTH

jo

Candy hi and thank you.

The recipe is on another forum for all to see, its a forum run by BB . I dont know if I can actually say the forum name but its all about teaching soap.

The only issue will be finding the FBB which apparently is no longer stocked by BB in the States but there are other suppliers.

Its a lovely recipe and really does use a lot of salt mixed into the melted mp.

Have a look and I am sure you will find it. :cheesy2:

jo

Candy hi and thank you.

The recipe is on another forum for all to see, its a forum run by BB . I dont know if I can actually say the forum name but its all about teaching soap.

The only issue will be finding the FBB which apparently is no longer stocked by BB in the States but there are other suppliers.

Its a lovely recipe and really does use a lot of salt mixed into the melted mp.

Have a look and I am sure you will find it. :cheesy2:

jo

I'm a member of Bramble Berrys forum. Can you tell me what thread the recipe is on so I can take a look. I'm sure there are others who would be interested in making some awesome M&P salt bars. Thanks.

Candy...I found it...the long way around I'm sure but i went to the Bramble Berry website and under resources go to Soap Queen's Blog. When you're in the blog section look to the right under Bramble Berry Network and click on Teach Soap. In the middle of the page is Soap Making Forum..click on that and you're now into the forums. Under the Melt & Pour section the salt bar recipe and conversations are on the first page. If you're already a member of the forums it should be on the first page too.

They sound really interesting. I'd like to try them but will have to get some FBB first.

Oh thank you wickedwick! I was reading the thread and it mentioned the CP M&P base. So I looked on BB's site and found it. Just wondering if you have to use this base and can't use a regular white M&P base?

Also-- is the FBB the foaming bath butter? I suppose if I buy this at BB then I would also get a slab of the white CP M&P base too.

What I don't like about the recipe is that the maker mentioned that hers stuck to her mold. That doesn't sound good. Wonder if that is typical of just the mold she used. None of my soaps stick to their mold.

FBB is the Foaming Bath Butter. I've never tried their m&p bases but when I do experiment I'll use the white base I buy from WSP and also WSP's FBB. Don't know if it'll make a difference...I'm thinking (or hoping) probably not. I read too about it sticking in her molds. I use silicon molds and hopefully they wouldn't be hard to get out of those. Post when you decide to make these and let us know how it went. I won't be doing this until probably the Spring...sales have been pretty slow here therefore making funds a bit on the lean side!

Karen

I know what you mean. Haven't got any spare funds to try out new things right now and don't know when I will. But its good to know there is a recipe for salt bars that works. I am not really keen on using a CP M&P base. I am gonna try it with regular white base when I get the chance.

Hi Ladies!

The cp mp was used to try to prevent any sweating of mp. That way the moisture would not be drawn to the mp and also the salt in the mp, making the soap soggy. The cp mp sweats less. You will see that both Armi and I live in countries that have humidity, namely Hawaii and Australia. If you are lucky enough to not have any humidity in your area that I would think any mp would be fine. I have had no trouble with the cp type though and thoroughly enjoy using it. I no longer get little water beads on everything! LOL

Also BB no longer sell FBB, so you would need to purchase it at another supplier for example WSP. FBB is still available here in Australia so I have not had this problem of having to switch supplier yet, but I would think wsp's FBB would be just fine to use.

My salt bars did not stick to my mold. The mold I used was a lunchbox from IKEA it was nothing fancy believe me and was cheap as well. I didn't spray with oil before "glopping" in the mold, the salt bar does set fast so you will need to remove it within about 20 minutes and in all of the times I have made this recipe, I have not had one stick. I believe it was the mold that was the issue for Armi.

Its a great recipe. I really like it and hope when you make it you will as well.

jo