I have become obsessed...

with making candles. I probably need help. I am a 24-year-old nursing student. I recently quit working as a legal assistant, and now that I am unemployed, I have the constant urge to make something creative. I guess sitting around studying all day, going to class, doing all the house chores, etc. is just not enough to keep my brain happy. It is very hard not going to work everyday (believe it or not.) I am happy to be able to focus on my studies, but at the same time I am constantly thinking about these CANDLES. I am trying not to spend my husband's hard earned money on my candle making obsession, since this is not what I am supposed to be focusing on! It is so hard to not have the expendible cash that I had before. Not that it was much, but it was SOMETHING. I am supposed to be focusing on my education! Ugh! I am feeding my habit right now with some freecycled baby food jars and left over supplies from past "candle supply shopping binges." I wish I had a ton of cash, so I could support this expensive hobby. I love making candles!!! I'm sure you are all right there with me on that note! Oh, and last night I went to a speaking on saving money, and one of the door prizes was a hand-poured candle in a jelly jar. Everytime, I see something like that, I think, "Man! I could have done that!"

Sorry for the novel guys!

LOL Welcome to the club! I am 3 years into this addiction and not sure I will ever stop...or care to! I have candles all over my house and make them almost daily. And I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to spend so much money on supplies, but if you are as lucky as I am, your hubby won't care one bit. ;)

Thankfully, he likes my candle hobby! Money is just tight right now, so that is why I am trying to "make do." It's fun to see what I can come up with. I will post some pics soon. Today, I am making some small Love Spell apothecary jar candles.

Hello, Jenny!

Don't worry too much about your obsession. Once you start working as a nurse, the candle-making obsession will come in handy.

I've been an ICU nurse for over 15 years. Making candles (actually tarts for now because wicking can be a real PITA) has been a great help dealing with the stress we face on a nearly daily basis.

So stick with the candles - but don't neglect your studies! One day you'll be happy you became obsessed with this addictive hpbby:cheesy2:

Mom baby nurse here too...the candle making hasn't been as frequent lately because of my 20 month old. I can't make them during the day because she will get into stuff in my basement/shop. Oh and I am afraid of the Hobo spiders in my basement...need to spray again. I am making a lot of tart gift baskets with tart warmers for christmas. Good luck with nursing school...so glad I am done with that. And welcome to the obsession.

Welcome Jenny! I am in my last semester of nursing school, getting ready to get my BSN. I've been a soapmaker for many years and was happy with running my little hobby business doing that. Now, for whatever reason, I've decided I want/need to venture into candles, as well.

I am married to a wonderful police officer husband and have 4 kids (16, 14, 10 and just 1--yep, just 1---Surprise!). Between family and school and working part time I have zero time for anything, but I want to start making candles. How crazy is that?

You've come to the right place. Noone will understand your addiction like the rest of us. :rolleyes2

~Julia

I am a nurse too in home health...What is up with all the nurses making candles here? I think it is pretty funny...Maybe there is a creative link in our brains somewhere that wants us to create and help others...I am glad u r enjoying your new obsession. It is truly a fun, yet expensive hobby!!

Belinda

Luminous Glow Candles

Hello, Belinda!

From a nurse to a nurse, I say that in my case it is a question of "balance", shall we say? I do not like my job and making tarts is a good way to kind of "forget about it for now".

You see, after 15 years I decided to try home health....... bad decision on my part!:( Thought I'd change my mind after a few weeks or months, but again I was wrong. So now I'm seriously, seriously, seriously considering going back to my beloved ICU. For me, the actual home health work is boring, the paperwork unbelievable, and the company I work for loves to nickel-and-dime:mad:. Hats off to the nurses who work in home care for they do provide great care, but give me ventilators, the latest hemodynamics equipment, open chests, etc. etc., and I feel right at home.

How long have you been playing with candles? TTYL

• 2 months later...

Not yet to bringing home glass bottles, etc. from work! I think you are right about the creative thing with nurses. There has to be some kind of escape from the madness! I've been away from the board for a while. It's been crazy for a while. Moving is SUCH a chore!!! We are finally in our house! Can't say it's all organized though! What a disaster. I've got to get it together so that I can get back into the candlemaking game. I have MISSED it! Hubby and I had to move out of our apt. on Dec. 30, and our closing got pushed back!!! We moved in with the MIL for a week! So glad we are finally getting settled, and life is getting closer to normal.

Hello, Belinda!

Hats off to the nurses who work in home care for they do provide great care, but give me ventilators, the latest hemodynamics equipment, open chests, etc. etc., and I feel right at home.

I've been an EMT for over 10 years. Give me a Defib, combi-tube, bag-valve mask & I'm flying high on adrenaline. :yay:

IWantItGreen, I'm right there with you.

After well over 15 years in ICU/ER/flight nrsg., I decided to give Home Health a try... big mistake, it just isn't for me.

Hats off to the nurses who do Home Health. Hats off to all nurses, in fact, regardless of their specialty, but I'm returning to my beloved ICU.