How many candles can you make in an hour...

I was curios as to how many candles I could pour in an hour..

From start without pre-prepping jars or having wax melted...

(I use presto's..)

So I had to put on the warning label, stick wick, melt wax, Add FO, pour and put on the WCT..

I produced 66 today in an hour.. I still have to top off, lid and label.

I have never timed myself before, but I am getting many fundraisers and want to see what I would be able to pour in a day..

I figure if I pour my *ss off,

I can get 528 candles made from start to poured and cooling in an 8 hour day...:rolleyes2.

(And if I stay off the computer, it will be much easier to get it done!! LOL)

What can you do....:confused:

Edited by islandgirl
typo

I wouldn't be able to pour like that hour after hour for an eight hour day. I know I can make a hundred a day while still getting lunch, taking short rests and bathroom breaks. Thats good enough for me. If I tried to pour 500 in a day I would be useless for the next two days after.

I was curios as to how many candles I could pour in an hour..

I produced 66 today in an hour.. I still have to top off, lid and label.

I have never timed myself before, but I am getting many fundraisers and want to see what I would be able to pour in a day..

I figure if I pour my *ss off,

I can get 528 candles made from start to poured and cooling in an 8 hour day...:rolleyes2.

(And if I stay off the computer, it will be much easier to get it done!! LOL)

What can you do....:confused:

Wow you go girl!!!:laugh2:

Hi,

I am new to this board but not new to candle making!

This post caught my eye right off the bat!! Back like 5 years ago I was curious I recorded how much I could make each day for a few days with everything that would normally go on like lunch, bathroom breaks, answering the phone, walk in customers etc.. and the Most I ever did in a 10.5 hour day was 320 and I think I was whooped long before the wax ran out! LOL BUT my test was with my jars pre wicked. I am a super slow wicker so I do mine in front of the TV which is probably half the reason I am so slow!! LOL

That's amazing!! I just finished pouring 5 dozen within about 4 hours. I got out of work at 1, had to take the dogs for a walk a few times, make dinner and watch my soaps. The most I have ever done is 195 in 6 hours. That was with help from the Fire Auxiliary for a fundraiser. We are doing it again this Saturday-183 candles sold!!! Its gonna be a long day! :yay:

:yay:Wow, you guys are amazing! I'm guessing here but nobody must use gb415 and be able to pour all these candles, right? Otherwise I think I'm really doing something wrong...I've got to make the switch cause the numbers you guys are showing sure ain't even close to what I can do....help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs!

Michele

You have to have a well organized production area to crank out that many candles a day. I have done about 450 candles a day but it takes time to wick, print top and bottom labels cut them out, glue them on, ect so when all is said and done the work week ends up with about 1200 to 1500 wide mouth half pint candles being poured and processed. 1200 a week is an easy amount to do if its planned out. Over that, on a steady basis would have to have lots of space and a nice size commercial wax melter. For one person, you have to be sure quality doesn't suffer as the production goes up. That's a huge problem that many growing companies end up with and many times never notice it until it's too late.

Bruce

The most I ever did was about 300 in a twelve hour span. It included wicking, pouring and packaging. I guess this is about 25/hr. I worked pretty steadily w/o down time. I have a sigle presto pot.

I thought that I was hot stuff....but, now I'm not so sure.

Eve

Well, today was the only day I had to time myself. I poured 282 candles in 3 hrs. That's laying out the 16 oz. jars, getting the darn 12 oz. jars out of my dishwasher (had to wash 18 dozen! They had mfg. oil on the inside) and taken to the shop, wick, get supplies out and start pouring. I had 16 scents to pour today to complete all my orders I've been working on for the past 1-1/2 weeks.

In all, I've poured 1399 candles and have run out of alot of supplies, but then, I work that way. This year has been pretty crappy for me (1st year ever that's been this slow).

Anyway, here's my operation. Last 282 on the island cooling.

I'm glad this go 'round is over, my feet are killing me! LOL

post-5219-139458458383_thumb.jpg

post-5219-139458458386_thumb.jpg

post-5219-139458458387_thumb.jpg

Candlelady.. Nice workshop.. !!!! WOW..

Is this your kitchen too?? Or do you use it only for candle making???

It is so organized and neat!!!. I have wax spills everywhere!!! LOL

What size is your melter in the back!!

Thanks for sharing your pics.. Love seeing them!!!

Edited by islandgirl

Thanks Islandgirl! This is a separate room in a shop we built 5 yrs ago. The shop itself is 40'wide x 80' long and DH built me my candle shop which is 20'x40'. 20'x30' is the pouring/kitchen/gift shop and I have a 10'x20' storage room with shelving. I also have a storage room inside the shop that holds all the jars and B&B containers...I have lots in there, and it's just ridiculous.

DH has a large family (he's youngest of 5) so this also serves as a family gathering area. Fully equipped kitchen with double ovens, stove, BAR! LOL Island is 15'long x 6'wide and is shorter than a standard counter because for pouring it's better to have lower table area. Full bath and 20'x40' guest room upstairs with double bed and bunkbeds, TV w/cable, air and heat.... No wonder my elec. bill is $700/mo.

My small melter is on a rolling cart that I store in my supply room and my bigger melter sits permanently in the back right corner outside the storage room, that's where the plug is for the melter.

It's all decorated with all the vintage enamelware that I've collected over the years with lights above all wall mounted cabinets....

Over the island are two vintage thick cast iron/iron wagon wheels decorated with large xmas lights and mini mason jar lights.

It's my "home away from home" area. It's really nice to have a separate area to pour now, I use to pour in our house for 2 years and it drove me crazy because I could never "get away" from candles! LOL

Anywho, I love it. When I'm done pouring and cleaning up, I can exit and "go home".

Well, gotta go burn tons of supply boxes that have been filling up the shop! LOL

Thanks,

Carrie