What to do with a bad customer???

mtt

I have a customer that claims fedex didn't deliver her package. Fedex shows it was left at her back door at 1:45pm on 8/29/09. She claims she was home all day and no one came. She demanded that I send her a new candles and deliver it to her house, granted she is out of state. She will not wait for fedex to do the investigation on it. So I ended up sending her money back to her by paypal which is how she paid. She ended up sending it back to me thru paypal and wants me to drive to her house and give her cash! I am in MN and she is in TX. Help what can I do?:mad:

Also this is the first time she has ever order from me.

Keep the money and don't do anything. She'll just go back to Paypal and ask for it back eventually--when she realizes you aren't going to go to her house, nor give her a cash refund.

She sounds like a scammer who is needing cash in hand for some reason or another and probably doesn't have a Paypal debit card to go to a money machine and get it. Let her see if Yankee candle will drive to her house and give her a cash refund if she doesn't get their order. NOBODY does that. She ought to consider herself lucky that you refunded her immediately instead of waiting until FedEx resolves the issue.

You could be pissy about it and tell her you would gladly drive to her house to re-deliver another set of candles, but she would have to pay a $600 delivery fee to allow for transportation and lodging costs for you to drive from MN to TX to do it! She's a nut.

How much money are we talking about anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by sockmonkey

It was only $19.86 :P

I kept all her emails, voice messages and copies from Fedex and paypal, so I am covered if she sues me. That is what she is talking about doing next. (get a life) Can I post her name in case she does this to anyone else?

This is what I would send as an email back to her....

Our company takes pride of the commitment with providing quality products and service to our customers. There are times when circumstances happen beyond our control, and we regret that your order has been caught in a shipping error.

As you know Fedex is showing your packaged as delivered, and is currently conducting an investigation since you have not received your packaged.. Our policy was to return your money for the inconvenience. I want to thank you for resending the monies till the investigation is concluded.

Sincerely,

….

If you have a delivery comfirmation from Fed Ex than you are done...you can prove that you shipped her order and that Fed Ex delivered it whatever happened after that is not your problem.

But just for the fun I would tell her that I'll bring the cash if she picks up the tab for the gasoline to drive all the way to her house.:laugh2:

Do NOT give her the money back. You did your part. You have proof the package was delivered. I don't use FedEx but I'm sure the package is insured up to $100.00 just like UPS.

Can you move your money from paypal in case she files a complaint with them?

Sounds like a whack job to me. I hope I don't get an order from her since I'm in texas.

Wow! Sounds like a real nut case. I can understand if she believes her order didn't arrive but demanding you drive to her home and deliver it is just nuts.

I think you did the right thing. I once had a delivery from Overstock.com that came in several packages. The delivery service showed that all was delivered. But one package was missing-- it was a desk calender and I never got it. I called Overstock and they sent me a new one. A few months later I was cleaning off my front porch and found the package under the door mat. I was embarrassed and also angry at the delivery service for doing something so stupid as to leave a package hidden under my door mat.

Its possible that the package was left off the side of the porch or in a way she can't find it. Never underestimate a dense delivery person.

I think offering her money back was a generous gesture. But if she turned you down and returned it I agree with others that for now you should do nothing. Let Fedex finish their investigation.

What I am curious about is. she said that the package wasn't delivered and mtt refunded her the money from the order. But the lady sent it back via paypal right? Now, wouldn't that look like she placed another order and if / when she files the claim via paypal wouldn't they just side with her???

Edited by Lorrie

The only thing I might do is to actually call FedEx customer service and verify the actual delivery address. I don't use FedEx because they are horrible in my area but I know UPS has occassionally delivered things to the wrong address. The only way we would have known is that I called and verified the address & YEP it went to the wrong house. I know UPS will go and pick it up and deliver to the right address in that case.

Definitely move your $$ out of Paypal and contact them explaining what is going on so that she doesn't file a claim & "double dip" since she sent you 2 actual payments. I would hate to see her dispute it with them and have them take both out of your account.

Here is what she wrote in the comment area after she return the money to me

Note from merchant

I have not receive this candle. I would liek the money returned to my account.

She must not understand how paypal works.

Here is what she wrote in the comment area after she return the money to me

Note from merchant

I have not receive this candle. I would liek the money returned to my account.

She must not understand how paypal works.

Do you accept credit card payments via paypal?

Start checking for hidden cameras. Some reality show is trying to "punk" you. NO ONE could possibly be SO RUDE and SO STUPID as to think ANYONE would actually drive a 1000 miles to deliver a cash refund to THEIR DOOR, could they????

OMG!!! I hope they don't have any children. This is DNA we absolutely do not want propagating in the world. OMG!!! :mad: Where is the uni-bomber when you need him. :smiley2:

I would ignore her from here on out until fedex completes the investigation. Keep her emails etc. in the meantime. You have proof it was delivered and this is fedex's problem now. You tried to refund her money and have proof of that also and she sent it back. (what does she mean by returning it to her account? She's a DIP! That's what you did!)

Now if this customer was super nice and was a regular of mine I would probably send another out asap or put a credit on her account for the amount she paid to save myself on shipping since it was marked delivered. However, this lady is ignorant and rude so I would do no such thing.

Is she really serious that she wants you to drive to TX to give her a cash refund, what an idiot! That's the weirdest one I've heard in a while! I think some people just like stirring the pot and getting a rise out of people. I think that's what she's trying to do. Keep us updated!

FedEx's investigation consists of the a quick conversation with the driver. If the driver said he delivered it then he did and it's over.

You darn well know this woman got her stuff. Sounds like a whack job to me and you don't want her as a customer. Keep the money it is yours. I would not indulge her with I'm sorry and we want to provide you with great customer service nonsense with a follow up email. Why, so you can pay her to keep your stuff and make her feel important at the same time? You fulfilled your end of the transaction,it's FedEx's issue now. She can try to file a chargeback but with a delivery conformation she will lose, yes even with a credit card.

Tell her to file a police report or that you will on her behalf. You'll never hear from her again.

I pm'd you.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Like I said, I never had this happen to me and thank goodness she doesn't live by me.

I sure do not need her as a customer!

Will see what happens, and I will keep everyone informed on what happens.

if she paid you with her checking account, just issue her a check. Deduct any fees you paid, and deduct the cost of postage and be done with it. You'll have additional "proof" of the transaction that way, because she'll endorse the check.

Other than that, just wait for FedEx to handle it and boldly tell her that is how it works because FedEx insurance their packages and she basically is filing an insurance claim like she would with any other company.

This lady does not seem the type to take a check with deductions for postage and fees. If anything I am surprised she is not demanding money for pain, suffering and mental anguish on top of driving 1000 miles ...... You owe her nothing. Don't refund her a dime. Plus do you want her having your personal info on the check you would issue her?