calling all pillar makers

I can make great looking pillars...my problem is the burning isn't what I think it should be. Is it possible to make parrafin (or palm...haven't tried this yet, but would) pillars that burn properly down 3/4 of the height or all the way? If yes, would you please post some picts cuz I am about ready to quit trying. I am getting so discouraged. Love looking at the gallery picts. but they are never burned down. So, can anyone help? Thanks. Beth

I don't know how anyone else does it .....I couldn't figure it out. I can only use Candlewic wax. The 4045 and 4045 H or for a blend the CBL 141 all burn PERFECTLY for me with square braid wick. Usually #2 for a 3" candle. I am trying to use IGI wax and the melt point is slighly lower and if I use additives to harden the wax it screws up the look I am going for. The candles buldge and have to be "hugged" and just don't burn right. I just might move back to Virginia and then I can afford to buy wax from Candlewic again. I miss them so much for all of my supplies.

Donita

I was getting fingernailing and I call it snowflaking in my 4625 and a supplier told me IGI said to add 3 TBS stearic and 1 tsp vybar 103 per lb and pour at 165-170 and that would take care of it. Never a fingernail or snowflake/mottle since and think that was about 2 years ago. I pour about 180-185 though.

Well then......I guess I need more practice. It's just that some of my candles don't look right if I add additives other than stearic. Or maybe I am not holding my toungue right when I pour them (smile).....I just haven't spent the time experimenting with lots of different waxes because I didn't need to. After all of this time you would think I would be smarter.......not! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for your hints. Donita

Thank you for the picts. Vicky. Then it is possible. So far, all mine have bulged and have tried several different pillar waxes though not the 1343. Donita, I gave in and bought some of the 4045 for dipping my canes...but, can't get it clear enough...they always come out cloudy despite dipping hotter as Candlewic suggested. So, maybe it will make pillars. Apparently it isn't the same as the old 4045, so not so sure. And for mottles, should have tried the 4045H when I ordered. Shipping is such a killer, so need to look closer to home. Maybe just more trying! Thanks to those that show they can be made. Beth

Acid would imply that it wasn't good to have lying around the house. Maybe one of you could let me know how to store it, and how it is used. What form does it come in?
Heck, the carbonic, phosphoric & citric acids in Coca Cola and orange juice are probably more dangerous!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Most suppliers carry it, but here's the description from JBN's site:

Palm Stearic Acid

130°F Melt Point - 365°F Flash Point

Our triple pressed Palm Stearic Acid is derived from all natural palm oil, certified Kosher and is very effective additive to use with soy-based and paraffin waxes. Palm Stearic Acid will help increase the fragrance load in soy and paraffin waxes and will help you achieve a smooth, even finish to your candles. We suggest starting at 5% (.8 oz. per pound, or 3 tablespoons by volume) usage and increase the percentage when necessary to achieve the properties and look desired.

It looks like little white flakes and I store mine in a plastic bag or glass jar. I reach in with my bare hands to scoop it out. :)

Thanks for letting me know where to get the 27 ply. I ended up going with Alabaster because they had them pre-tabbed.

If I like these, I will probably get more from candlewic next time they do the 50% off the custom wick builder thingy.