calling all pillar makers

Beth.....what temp are you dipping? I try to keep it around 200 degrees with only uv additive....and a little bleached white beeswax to make it adhere better. Mine are very clear. They are even more clear if you immediately plunge them in to cool water.

Donita

Hi Donita. I'm dipping at 200 but went up to 210 without a noticeable difference. I had added a bit of white beeswax from Swans...it is stickier (word?) than some beeswax I have used, but would that do it? I usually dip them in cool water since I cracked a few in a colder dip. Maybe I should dump the dipping pot and try again without the beeswax...after all that wax and shipping, I felt a bit deflated looking at the box and wondering what I would do with it. I just took a few months off to work on the greenhouse business, but since that is finished, I'm getting to start up again on candles. I'll give it another whirl at 200 and maybe even try a few pillars.:smiley2: Beth

Beth.....what do you mean by "a little beeswax"?......I uses just about 1/2 oz to a whole dipping pot. 4045 or 4045H worked best for me. I started with the 4045EP but like the others better. I try to check to temp of the water to be around 80 degrees so they don't crack. Also I noticed that I have to move quickly from the over dip into the pot of water so the wax doesn't have a chance to cool off. It seems to stay clearer for me that way. I just can't imagine why this is giving you so much trouble. Wish I could come over and help. Darn.

Donita

Oh Donita, I wish you could come over too! I have one nice cane waiting to be dipped, but afraid to use this wax on it. The wax is the 4045EP. As far as I could see, they only had the EP and H and I went with the EP since the H was a mottling wax and didn't know how that would work as an overdip. I added just a bit (didn't weigh it) of the beeswax...maybe a Tbsp. The 160 cane wax is pretty clear, maybe I could just use that without the micro? I may just go back and order the 140 wax I had used earlier...At the rate I am going, I will have 200 lbs. of fire starters...hubby always said the house would go like a torch if a fire ever got into the basement! Isn't tryiing new waxes one of the joys of making candles? Off to clean house and maybe get to some candle playing this pm. Thanks Donita. Beth