Some more Palm Pillars - Hippie / Rustic Look

Hey Antonia

We have also done some votives in this same style and I can assure you that they are a bigger PITA than the pillars....LOL.

We have just got back from a local show so they are currently still in the car and can stay there all night as I just cant be bothered unpacking. Will get them out tomorrow and try to get a pick of them to post.

Lets have a look at the ones that you have done in any case. I am sure they will still look wonderful. Sometimes we can be our own biggest critics, so lets get a pic of yours up for people to comment on. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers

Richard

Well I might be my biggest critic but really they turned out nothing like yours did so I just remelted everything down and just pour regular palm votives.

I made then use and ocean color blue and a white, with the fo yacht club from NG. And I dont really know what I did wrong but I didnt have any of the running down the sides, and I waited until the wax was completely pulled away from the sides. And plus all most every single one was cracked and also the layers separated, I did about five different tilted layers on each.

But you guys really have some thing that looks great, so keep up the good work.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Antonia.

Wow,I can't understand why you got such differing results.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

Doesn't seem to make sense if your layers had cooled enough to pull away from the side of the mold that the next layer wouldn't spill over like that. Where did the liquid wax go? lol!

Very strange!

At least you were able to reuse the wax though as your colours weren't opposites or anything, so I'm glad nothing got wasted.

The cracking IS an issue.....I'm finding with the votives that they are much more likely to crack especially on the top most and bottom most layers, so I've tried to pour those hotter.

It's very tricky getting the temperatures right and I guess so far I've just been very lucky! (touch wood!)

I want to attempt to make a NON tilted layered candle and see what happens if I have the deepest colour at the bottom and each subsequent layer getting lighter and lighter.

I am a bit concerned though about the layers separating with that.

I'll give it a go though and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Your candles are fabulous! You must have a lot of patience to create something as beautiful as those. I am going to venture into something like that only I'm going to try making a forever palm and see what I come up with.

Keep up the good work. Hope to see some more of them in the future!

:yay:

Thanks for all the great comments from you all. I was going to put some pics up of the votives that we made, but due to an interstate move back to NSW from Western Australia sooner than expected, all the candle stuff is now in the process of being packed for the move. Ou last market was on Sunday just gone. We did ok there, however it ws more of a trash and treasure market than anything else and people were always trying to spend as little as possible and go home with a full car load of stuff.

We have alreadt checked out some markets back on the East Coast, and it looks like we can do something like 12 different markets each month.

Will still be online uptil we move though :)

Cheers

Richard

'Scuse me Richard, but would you mind just turning around and heading back to the west coast since I can do without that kinda competition over here!:tiptoe:

Hey KoalaGirl :)

Where abouts on the East Coast are you? I reckon with almost 5 million people in Sydney there should be more than enough room for the two of us.......LOL.

Cheers

Richard

I absolutely think those are fantastic. I could not choose a favorite, I'd want them all. What is that bright blue? That is such a pretty color. Do you use dyes or chips? You coordinated them all so well!! Very, very nice.

What is that bright blue? That is such a pretty color. Do you use dyes or chips?

SassyQ

Thanks for the great comments :)

We use mainly the colour blocks and we also have some liquid dyes. The blue I believe is cobalt, which does turn out such a nice colour. Knowing Tracy however, it could be a combination of various colours as for these pillars she just tends to make it up as she goes along, depending on which colours go with which.

For these the fragrances rarely match the colour. We tend to use whatever maybe our favourite at the time or whatever we have the most of, depending on our mood. The fragrance and colour variation is not really a concern as these are all one offs (even though we usually do between 4 and 6 each time) as everyone that is poured is going to be different. This is also what makes them so unique I guess.

Cheers

Richard

Hay, dude, those are like truly radically groovy! The colors are like,man, wow & outta site like a perfect sunset, man! Puts me in the mood to make some brownies, man!

Ah those were the days............ from an ex hippie's point of view I have to say those are truly beautiful pieces of your artistry. I can see those sitting on a pretty glass shelf in one of those nice gift shops. Great work.

I adore your combo colors!!! What is that bright blue??? They are all awesome and it would be so hard to choose a favorite. Really, really pretty. Do you use chips or liquid dye. I LOVE that blue!!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jo. We have just moved from Perth back to Sydney and now need to restock. Getting feathering palm at the moment is difficult as both of our suppliers wont have it till the end of the month.

We have recently just casually mantioned to a couple of shops here in the Blue Mountains that we make candles and already have our jars stocked by 2 out of the 3 of those we have spoken to, with 2 of them also wanting pillars when we can make them, so we are quite pleased with ourselves on that minimum effort. Who know what we can do when we do decide to do some serious marketing :)

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...