Some more Palm Pillars - Hippie / Rustic Look

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to both of you. They are just stunning. My favourite is the teal/blue/rust one. I wouldnt call them rustic. I think those candles would compliment ANY decor from rustic to modern. Very nice indeed.

Note to self> no no no.....dont even think about it.....your already up to your armpits in other waxy things!!

My favourite is the teal/blue/rust one. I wouldnt call them rustic. Note to self> no no no.....dont even think about it.....your already up to your armpits in other waxy things!!

Thanks Koalagirl. LOL, they are mine, Tracy did the rest, and she says I have no colour coordination...hahaha. Your note to self is valid. We only have 3 each of the small and large pillar molds so to do these does indeed take a considerable amount of time. We will continue to see how they sell and if it looks like we will be selling quite a few we can then go out and purchase some additional molds. They are fun to do though, and the look of them definitely attracts people to come over to our stall.

We are doing a local show this Saturday rather than the regular flea market we attend, so it will be very interesting to see if there is any difference in buying patterns from people.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks ! :)

I must admit last week at the markets these candles were what drew a lot of people to our stall - especially the younger crowd.

Seems like bright in your face colours really ARE what a lot of people are attracted to?...not all of course, but our regular plain and "safely coloured" pillars haven't had ANY interest at all.

I'm noticing too that even our brighter coloured melts (especially the red ones) seem to get way more attention than the less bright earthy coloured ones.

Then again one crowd differs from another.

You never can tell WHAT people are going to go for from one week to the next can you!

Richard,

I can only see one colour of candles in the picture. All the candles look green to me. It could be because I'm seeing, "green with envy"! Wish I could make candles as beautiful as that. Fantastic creations!

Man these candles are just beautiful!!! Really they are fantastic, please dont change ANYTHING on how you do it. And I hope you guys are selling them for more money than your regular pillars, with all the work you guys put into them. Really these are the most gorgeous pillar candles I have seen in a while.

LSCandles & Antonia

Thanks so much for your comments. I am sure that Tracy will be very chuffed as they are pretty much her babies. I dont have the eye for colour as she does, nor the patience I dont think. Just ask me about all the damn testing.....LOL.

We now have added a brown earthy set called Log Cabin and a bright green set we are thinking of calling Rainforest. The name refers essentially to the colours rather than the fragrance. These sets are fragranced with Jasmine, Winter Nights and Vanilla.

SHe played yesterday with votives in the same style, so we may add 12 or so of similar coloured votives to the range and see how they go. We currently sell our votives for $1.50, but these ones we would lift to $2 as they are a PITA to make considering the time involved.

Cheers

Richard

Those are awesome!!! I don't suppose you would like to share your procedure in making these? I would love to try something like this.

There isnt really too much to tell you. We are essentially using 3 and sometimes up to 5 colours. All feathering palm. The palm is not poured hot as we are going for a non feathered look, however some feathering worked in looks pretty good. Before each tilted layer is poured we let the layer below it set pretty good, so that there is shrinkage back from the sides of the molds. This allows the next layer to run down creating the kind of messy cool look that they have.

It is really all on the colours I think, and Tracy is very good with colour combinations, unlike me. If you dont want to use loads of wax, perhaps try in a votive mold first.

Our first ones were done in glass tumblers, which actually allows us to observe what the wax was doing, which made it somewhat easier. Doing it in the tin molds is a bit more of a challenge as you are pretty much guessing what the wax is doing in the tins. This is some ways can make it better, as YTracy stated earlier in the thread, it is like opening a present as you never really know what you are likely to get. We have done some which have then been remelted and redone. That in itself is a task as once you have remelted you dont want to waste wax, so for thoese one you just have to work with the colours of wax that you have. We tend to also use our scrap wax for the same process, just have to be careful of the fragrance combinations.

HTH and maybe Tracy when she wakes up can expand on what I have said.

Cheers

Richard

Richard has pretty much explained the process :)

To do this I am using...would you believe it (because it's all we had on hand at the time and since it works I've stuck with it) an unused - brand new cat litter tray, lol, filled with clean kitty litter that I place the molds in, tilted on an angle. (I can fit six at a time)

Looks a bit weird I must say having a litter tray sitting on my kitchen bench but so far so good....the cats understand this is NOT for them! lol!!

The wick pins we have stuck in place with blue tack (don't want them moving even slightly when you tilt the candle molds)

The whole process takes hours!

I'd say from start to finish - especially to fill the large pillar molds it can be up to 4 hours!

The trick is to do as many layers as possible so you get the nice blend of colours as the excess wax spills over.

If you do larger layers the result won't be as intricate, or as "blended".

With each layer I turn the candle mold around trying to balance where the colours will end up....you don't want too much of one colour ending up all together in one spot.

You really have to wait until each layer is set enough so that if you press on it with your finger you can feel that it's hard.

If it's not set enough when you pour the next layer you risk the new pour melting the previous one and the two colours merging.

I'd say Richards suggestion of playing with votives first is a good idea!

For that you have to sit the votive mold upright first and pour in a small base layer just to get the wick pin to stay in place once that first layer sets.....and then off you go with the tilting process!

My only concern with votives - as someone else mentioned here in this thread I think, is that because the volume of wax is smaller, and because you're pouring it cooler there "might" be an increased risk of the wax cracking.

This seems (I think?) to be only a concern with the very TOP layer - around the edges of the top of the candle, so I am pouring that last layer on the votives slightly hotter....which feathers it somewhat, but that's ok...It looks even more random if a few of the layers have a bit of feathering!

Have fun!

I can't wait to see pic's if other people try this! :)

Wow! I love those. They are incredible. Thanks for sharing how to do this creative look. I am deffinitely going to try this.

Great colors combos, I really like the blue/rust colors. I could totally picture this scent in patchouli.

Yes I know exactly how you feel. The testing can start to get you down a little and palm I think seems harder to wick then the soy. A little bit over and blow outs everywhere, and a little under and the poor wick drowns. Ohhh such fun...LOL

Seeing you have the palm you may as well go ahead and play with it. You just never know what you may turn out.

Cheers

Richard

Which wicks are performing best for you in these?

Jeana, I am using some locally sourced wicks for these ones so if I put it here it would really not mean anything to you. I was going to play with the CDN, but I have got the ACS (aussie candle supply) wicks working very nicely with the palm so for now will stick with those.

Cheers

R

Richard

I just get X's where the pics are. Wish I could see them. They sound wonderful. :)

Strange that you are just getting x's. If you go to our website you can see some of them on there.

Cheers

Richard

Well I tried this in votives today, and I didnt even come close to looking like your master pieces. I am so jealous.

Hey Antonia

We have also done some votives in this same style and I can assure you that they are a bigger PITA than the pillars....LOL.

We have just got back from a local show so they are currently still in the car and can stay there all night as I just cant be bothered unpacking. Will get them out tomorrow and try to get a pick of them to post.

Lets have a look at the ones that you have done in any case. I am sure they will still look wonderful. Sometimes we can be our own biggest critics, so lets get a pic of yours up for people to comment on. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers

Richard