What Type of Container for Lye Solution?

patka

Greetings, I wanted to ask what type of container everyone uses for making lye solution?

I had a glass container (which was heat resistant, at least to a boiling point) crack today (I had it sat in the sink of course, as a precaution) with a 30% lye solution, which got really hot. I had tried a sturdy plastic, but it got damaged by the heat too. I know stainless steel would be fine temperaturewise, but I was trying to avoid metal, somehow I feel the metal could leach from the stainless steel into the soap (I may be wrong on that). I do use a SS pot for mixing the soap, but not for the straight lye solution.

I would love to know what you all use for this purpose. Thanks a lot!

To mix my lye, I use Polypropylene (PP)- it has the #5 stamped in the recycle triangle on the bottom of the container. I've read that this is one of the best plastics to use when mixing lye. It stands up very well to lye and heat.

The plastics to stay away from with lye solutions are PETE #1 and also PS #6. I've used PETE #1 before and can attest that the lye solution eats it up for lunch and then pops the bag. :shocked2:

I'd stay away from glass, too, as you just discovered. The lye solution etches the glass and makes it weaker and prone to breakage.

Many people use stainless steel to mix their lye solution in with great results. I've heard that it should be good quality stainless steel, but I'm not sure of the gauge. Maybe someone who uses stainless steel will chime in on that as I only use it to mix my soap in and not to mix my lye solution in.

HTH!

MarieJeanette :)

Patka, I use a plastic container and have not had any problems with heat damage. Is your water cold to start with? It will certainly help if your liquid is cold to start with. Then the lye solution would not get quite as hot.

Plastics come in several grades so one bad experience with plastic shouldn't be the end of it.

I use an old rubbermaid pitcher I got at goodwill for a dime. It's tough stuff and works great. I would never use glass. Seen that idea end badly one too many times...

Thank you all, I will take your advice and go look for a plastic pitcher. The one I used a while back that did not take the heat was the hard plastic, kind of like plexiglass. It cracked, although it did not leak, so I managed to use the liquid, but did not use it again. I will look for the #5 plastic. I use cold water for the solution, but it still got way too hot I guess for the glass jug. Thanks again:)

Yes polypropylene will work fine. It's probably the best choice besides stainless steel. Personally I avoid using metal "just in case." Thick Pyrex containers might work OK if all you do is mix and pour, but they will get etched if the lye is left sitting in them. NaOH reacts with glass.

I really appreciate the feedback. It is new info for me that lye could damage glass. I always thought glass was a somehow universally inert material. Well, I have learned my lesson now and will use the suggested plastic for my lye solution.

8-Gran, I had put the glass jug into a stainless steel container and both in my kitchen sink, before I started mixing the solution, so I did not have the lye running loose, thankfully. The jug lasted me a year, but I am done with experimenting with a glass container for lye solution.

I use a really old tupperware container. I think it's some type of pitcher or shaker or something. Anyway, it's a lovely shade of 1970's orange and it still looks brand new. I've been using it for over 3 years now.

I use a rigid plastic bucket that milk replacer came it. nice and sturdy. I have used the plastic tubs that lard comes in also with no problems. I would not use glass since you never know when it might decide to crack.

I use a small stainless steel mixing bowl that fits into a larger stainless steel bowl that I fill with ice cubes. I keep my goats milk solution under 100 degrees while mixing the lye and I also use the cold bowl to bring my oils down to the same temp as my lye mixture. Clean up is a breeze and I don't have to worry with the lye damaging the stainless steel.

This is a timely post!!!

I bought a glass jar from Ikea last week to use for the lye instead of the plastic jug I was using.......... now I guess I willstick tothe plastic jug or look for a stainless steel one.......

Thanks for the input folks!!!

I use a replacement pyrex coffee pot. I figured it was made for the heat of sitting on the heated part of a coffee maker it was sturdy enough.

I'd be a little paranoid about that container, personally. Even though it's made to withstand heat, coffee carafes are thin and surely more liable to break when the lye etches the glass, which it will in time. I think the only glass containers I'd use are the thick Pyrex measuring cups.