Calling on 4630 users

Has any noticed inconsistencies in the firmness of the 4630? I have been testing it alone and blended, buying a slab at a time. All slabs I have bought cut like butter, very easily. Liking my test results I bought a 60# case. This wax is FIRM, very hard to cut. Bought it from The Candlemakers Store and just recieved today. They were closed when I opened the carton so plan on calling tomorrow but it is bugging the crap out of me tonight. The label says it was made in Canada, anyone else run into this?

Good Morning. I just copied this from another thread that I answered around Christmas about wax consistencies.

The issue is your wax probably came from a different IGI plant. You will always see significant differences between the Texas, IL, Pa and Canada plants. The recipe is "supposed" to be the exact same but it is not. They all get their raw materials from different parts of the country therefore the end product will be slightly different. If you call them about it I guarantee that they will tell you to send a sample for them to test and it will come back with the result that it's with-in specs, which I might add you could drive a truck through.LOL HTH

I see differences batch to batch sometimes too and you never know what batch the slabs you bought were came from or how old they were. Candlescience also gets their 4630 from Canada and so far I have had the butter type batches.

The last batch I got from Peaks and I was shocked. I thought maybe it was frozen (don't laugh). It was much different than what I get from BC, (they were out at the time) but it seems to burn the same. I use my 4630 on it's own as well in my parasoy blend. I guess if I get poor burns then I'll worry.

The last batch I got from Peaks and I was shocked. I thought maybe it was frozen (don't laugh). It was much different than what I get from BC, (they were out at the time) but it seems to burn the same. I use my 4630 on it's own as well in my parasoy blend. I guess if I get poor burns then I'll worry.

Was your batch from Peak's very hard to cut? I think I may develop carpal tunnel getting it cut up to put into my melter.

Good Morning. I just copied this from another thread that I answered around Christmas about wax consistencies.

The issue is your wax probably came from a different IGI plant. You will always see significant differences between the Texas, IL, Pa and Canada plants. The recipe is "supposed" to be the exact same but it is not. They all get their raw materials from different parts of the country therefore the end product will be slightly different. If you call them about it I guarantee that they will tell you to send a sample for them to test and it will come back with the result that it's with-in specs, which I might add you could drive a truck through.LOL HTH

I see differences batch to batch sometimes too and you never know what batch the slabs you bought were came from or how old they were. Candlescience also gets their 4630 from Canada and so far I have had the butter type batches.

CMS called back and pretty much gave me this same information posted above regarding the 4627 wax. I am amazed at the variance. :eek:

IGI changed their formula. After getting lots of complaints they are in the process of going back to the old formula. Lots of suppliers will not be getting the new batch for while until they run out of the old batch. IGI really messed up this time.

IGI changed their formula. After getting lots of complaints they are in the process of going back to the old formula. Lots of suppliers will not be getting the new batch for while until they run out of the old batch. IGI really messed up this time.

What ?!?! :eek: It seems they would leave well enough alone ! Not only am I having a hard time getting it cut but my testers don't seem to be throwing like before :mad: . Anyone else noticing it or is it me thinking I can't smell ???

I was just about to place an order when I read this thread.

We use this wax and we have had the same problem. It was so hard to cut, but I put it down to the fact that the area it is stored in is cool. When I poured some candles, they had wavy tops....looked like the wax does BEFORE you melt it! I don't want to put my order in for more cases of this, but we need some soon. We purchased ours from Candles & Supplies in PA.

Has anyone ordered from them lately? Are they still sending this "reformulated" wax?

I guess I better call them...this is crazy! :angry2:

Everyone that uses Paraffin thinks its SOY that has to many inconsistancies....Well, now we know its not just soy!

Gotta agree :mad: I am in the middle of testing to switch my pre-blended 50/50 to my own blend, now I am more less starting over again. I love testing, I love testing, I love testing . . :whistle:

Everyone that uses Paraffin thinks its SOY that has to many inconsistancies....Well, now we know its not just soy!

We have used this wax for approximately 3 years and this is the first time we have had a problem.

I must say, though; as a former soy user, my first thought when I poured this the other day was "what the heck, it has ugly tops like my soy used to!" Even though we were able to pour our soy jars with a smooth top, after the first burn, they turned ugly. :laugh2:

I've run into the same results on 4636 (the old J-50). Poor performance, ugly tops, and heavy shrinkage when setting up. I was in touch with IGI, with absolutely no satisfaction, then with CMS, and again no satisfaction. IGI says the wax has never changed, but I've used it for years with perfect results until IGI started making it. I've actually cut into hollow places in slabs where water ran out.

Fredron

Last November I ran into a problem with some 4630 I ordered from Peaks. I had some helpers and while I was out running errands, they started on the new box of 4630. Well, many candles were made and then I got back and started working with it. Definitely harder - not cutting like soft butter. I talked with Peaks, they assured me that they sent me the right wax, but I assured them it wasn't 4630 and it certainly wasn't burning the same. I have stopped buying anything from Peaks after that and now I get my wax from Let it Shine. I just got a new shipment of 4630 from them today - I wonder if they hadn't moved through new inventory when I was ordering from them before. I'll let you know if this new shipment of 4630 behaves differently.

I just don't understand why all these soy and paraffin wax companies cannot produce consistant results. I mean, you never get a jar of peanut butter and open it up and it be rock hard, or water running out of it. You may get a little salmonella, but not peanut butter that you can't get out of the jar! Do you think these are mishaps with the wax or do they actually CHANGE the formula and don't tell? Isn't there a law against that or something? I think all these companies know how addicted we are to candle making and think.....they are hooked....they will just test some more and use more wax!!$$

Something has GOT to change! We can't keep retesting every single shipment with 5 different pour temps, additives, cooling techniques....It is like starting over every time we reorder.

OK, rant over. Deep breath...What should we do as a group to make these companies understand they have to be consistant?

We have done some testers with the "different" 4630 and it seems to be burning the same. The tops do not always have a smooth top - some of them look like I had saran wrap over them and pulled it off after it cooled.

I contacted Candlescience and they told me that they have not noticed a change and the woman I spoke with said she uses this wax, so I ordered four cases from them. I will let you know what we end up with.

Frustrating to be sure!

I poured up testers and let them set a couple of days. Although the wax is much much harder to cut so far the testers I have lit are burning the same. I am blending the 4630 with 464 so I'm not experiencing the appearance issues on the tops. I am detecting a slight difference in the HT but this could be a curing issue or the fact that I have a bit of a head cold.

My test burning is in the early stages. I will post updates as testing continues.

. . . We can't keep retesting every single shipment with 5 different pour temps, additives, cooling techniques....It is like starting over every time we reorder.

My DH made this same comment. I am avid at taking notes on ALL the candles I make and burn and he thinks this is just a waste since I cannot go back and follow a dedicated recipe / formula. At times like these I tend to agree. Where is the confidence level in the testing notes if we are always testing each batch? I swear I test more than sell sometimes and my house always looks like a shrine. Once I get a batch dialed in you can bet your booty it is time to re-order.

On a side note . . I have experienced inconsistencies in waxes within the same batch number. My previous 50/50 wax I had bought 12 cases all the same lot number and I was testing each case since it varied so badly . Once I got threw that mess I decided to blend my own wax so I could pin point problem areas. With this issue, yes I know the 4630 has changed but when and IF it goes back to the way it was I will have more testing notes to leaf thru.

And some think making candles is easy . . . 8 years and still hoping for that day :laugh2: