Triple scent candle

CandleLytes

"Triple Scented" means 9% fragrance oil. No more, no less.

Back in the olden days of plain, boring paraffin, 3% was the industry standard. With new, improved waxes and the desire for heavily scented candles, 9% and more became possible. And a new advertising gimmick was born.

I once had a potential customer ask if my candles were triple scented. I wasn't in the best of moods, so I asked her if she even knew what that meant. When she admitted she didn't, I asked her why she bothered asking.

I typically use 8% with my container candles, so I guess mine are Double Plus Point Sixty Six Scented. Or something like that. Maybe I should figure out a way to capitalize on that.

There are those who will argue that "triple scented" means 3 different scents. That is not, however, how the "triple scented" brainwash started. Consumers have been led to believe that "triple scented" candles smell better.

I say call it whatever you want to. I think it's pretty obvious if you open your eyes and look, what triple-scented means, in this case. Great job and great colors!

I did find the 3% - 9% info interesting, though. I thought "triple scented" was purely a sales gimmick. I didn't know there was any basis in fact for the phrase.

• 2 weeks later...