Right or wrong colors for candles

Do you think it is a MUST that you match the color of your candle to the scent? I just made a strawberry banana candle that was a marble candle gone bad. But the pillar is a little more orange than I would like, but really don't feel like melting it down a third time. Someone will buy it, I hope.

Well I think the same way as you guys but my husband aunt informed me I was wrong. :rolleyes2

I made her a candle called St. Nicks Lane which is like a clean pine smell and I made it a light to medium green color and boy where her words not very nice. She even had the nerve to tell me that when she looked at it she thought she was going to throw up and that NOBODY in their right mind would want a candle that color. :shocked2: And this is all from a FREE CANDLE.

So next time I will just save my wax for me. :tiptoe:

Well I think the same way as you guys but my husband aunt informed me I was wrong. :rolleyes2

I made her a candle called St. Nicks Lane which is like a clean pine smell and I made it a light to medium green color and boy where her words not very nice. She even had the nerve to tell me that when she looked at it she thought she was going to throw up and that NOBODY in their right mind would want a candle that color. :shocked2: And this is all from a FREE CANDLE.

Lordy! No more candles for auntie!!

Wow...Is she like that all the time? Noone has ever said anything like that to me ever...Green is an excellent color!!

Wow. Well we've all had something like that happen. Someone almost related didn't like a few colors I chose for soap, but I just said they were better than brown right? Course for candles, free at that, sounds pretty rude. I have to ask though ... did she have some other kind of color suggestion? Usually green goes with pine. Maybe she wanked pink?

Wow. Well we've all had something like that happen. Someone almost related didn't like a few colors I chose for soap, but I just said they were better than brown right? Course for candles, free at that, sounds pretty rude. I have to ask though ... did she have some other kind of color suggestion? Usually green goes with pine. Maybe she wanked pink?

She said that she was expecting it to be either white or red, because it is Christmas time. Then that was another argument. But we both got over it and moved on.

I turn it into a marketing tool. I remind my customers that I can do custom color to match whatever they need.

HTH,

Kim

See I thought about doing this but then dont you have to test each different color combo? That just seems like a lot MORE work just to sell a candle. But then again I am not selling just yet so maybe it really helps bring the customers in.

We make our Hot Apple Pie the color of a pie crust....because we have too many different shades of red already. I have had some people comment, and have considered changing it....but when I ask other customers, they like it because it is neutral and it goes with any decor - or they say they really don't care as long as it smells good.

All white would be sooo much easier....lol

AntoniasCreations, I am glad you were able to "move on" after your husband's auntie's comments - not worth the hassle - but definitely no more candles for her!! :P

I do pillars in mottled tilted three layers and do not really pay attention to the scent names in regards to the colors. I make more designer pillars to match decor rather than flavor to match colors though. I sell to designer shops and a few gift shops and they do not seem to mind. As long as the scent is good and the color goes with whatever decor they are complimenting, it does not matter with them. HTH

See I thought about doing this but then dont you have to test each different color combo? That just seems like a lot MORE work just to sell a candle. But then again I am not selling just yet so maybe it really helps bring the customers in.

It's more work, but it also can bring in a lot more money, so it not only covers the difference to test (most of the time), but can sometimes turn a higher profit as well, depending on what it is, how big, etc. I used to let my customers know of a 2 week lead time on custom candles. They could order, but it would take 2 weeks to ship, to allow time for testing.

I do mostly designer pillars and colors are what concerns me most. I do three layered mottled pillars and have them in a couple of home interior designer shops and gift shops and they mostly go by color. As long as the scent smells good to them they are just mostly looking for a certain decor to compliment. HTH

She said that she was expecting it to be either white or red, because it is Christmas time. Then that was another argument. But we both got over it and moved on.

Tell her it's green - just like that money that it's NOT costing her

I do mostly designer pillars and colors are what concerns me most. I do three layered mottled pillars and have them in a couple of home interior designer shops and gift shops and they mostly go by color. As long as the scent smells good to them they are just mostly looking for a certain decor to compliment. HTH

What's a designer pillar?

Okay, you might think I'm crazy but I think color is psychological..you can pour two candles, the same scent and shape...make one of the candles in a regular green or blue, whatever..make the second candle same scent, same jar same everything and psychologically a buyer will think the darker colored candle will smell stronger.

What's a designer pillar?

I'd have to assume that a designer pillar is one that's made to match a customer's decor rather than the color matching the scent.

One of my co-workers wanted a pumpkin pillar but asked if I could make it purple - no problem!!