For those that make chunkies...

Jaye

Do you scent the chunks or the overpour wax? Or both? 4045H is much more translucent for the overpour when unscented, but cold throw is almost non-existent when only the chunks are scented. If I do add FO to the overpour, it sometimes mottles and becomes more opaque. I usually remedy this by rolling it back and forth along the griddle to melt off some of the overpour and show the chunks more... but I think I'm also losing some of the scent when I do this. Just curious to see what most of you do! TIA! :smiley2:

You can do it how you like. I just scent the over pour because then I can have different colored chunks around and not worry about what scent they are. (KWIM)

I scent the over pour a little more instead of 1 oz per lb I go up to l.5 oz per lb. I also use UA instead of vybar, maybe that is why you are getting mottling. Not all UA is the same, I use what ever UA The Candlemakers Store supplies. IMHO you still need something in that over pour wax or the oil will do what it wants to do and find a way out.

What is your pour temp on the over pour? I pour hotter when making chunks. Then I wait a few seconds and go over the mold with a heat gun until the bubble stop coming up to the top. It's a weird kind of system of taking the heat gun from bottom to top (tap, tap, tap) on one part and move on to the next part of the mold. I do this around the whole mold until the bubble stop coming to the top. This gives me a more clear and smooth over pour.

HTH,

Karen B

Then I wait a few seconds and go over the mold with a heat gun until the bubble stop coming up to the top. It's a weird kind of system of taking the heat gun from bottom to top (tap, tap, tap) on one part and move on to the next part of the mold. I do this around the whole mold until the bubble stop coming to the top. This gives me a more clear and smooth over pour.

HTH,

Karen B

Not a weird system at all. Only thing I do is try to weave a chopstick through the gaps while heating in hopes of dislodging any other air bubbles.

Just as I thought... scenting the overpour it is! I was using FO for both the chunks AND the overpour, but liked the more translucent look the unscented overpour gave. I'll try pouring hotter and using a heat gun while the candle is still in the mold. Thanks for that tip Karen! :smiley2:

ROF - I use an electric griddle to level the bottoms. If I want the chunks to show through more, I put a paper towel on the griddle plate and roll the candle along it until some of the overpour melts off. Messy job, but gives pretty good results.

I like my chunks scented and tend to make the chunks a different but complimentary scent to the overpour. I also make the chunks and overpour different colors.

I don't make many chunk candles anymore because its too labor intensive to churn them out quickly. But I do still have at least one chunk candle per season and customers like the chunks. They always did-- at least in my experience.