My first candle needs help!

Benna

This is my first time trying to post a pic and I hope I am doing it right. I have read so much before making my first candle today but I still dont know where I went wrong.

I used:

1 pound IGI 4630 wax

1oz cucumber Melon FO

10 drops Honey Dew Dye

See later post for pics.

Please help! Does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do to fix it.

I also make strawberry shortcake scented candles and I love the color of them. I made Orange Sherbert scented candles but the color looks more like a pumpkin orange instead of an orange type of orange. kwim? I used orange 10 drops of dye. Can I remelt it and add yellow to lighten it?

Thanks,

Brenda

Brenna,

Your link isn't working. It says login has expired.

As for melting your orange sherbet candles, I would say no...adding yellow to pumpkin isn't going to lighten it, and at 10 drops of dye per # of wax, you are nearly maxed out. I would suggest melting it, add more wax and FO but no more color. Take the tip of your thermometer and drop a few drops of the new color onto white paper or inside an old glass jar to see if you like it. I always do this when I am working with a new color, and I add a drop or two, check, add more, check again, etc.

HTH!

Jenn

When you post, reply or new thread either one (remember to write post too)... look below the first submit and preview buttons. There's another box. Click on magage attachments. A window will pop up. Click on "browse" and find the file. Click "upload". After it's done uploading(you'll see the file name listed there), close the window. Very important - In the boxed area with the attachments, click submit. If you click the first submit, up under where you wrote, it wont submit the attachment too. It HAS to be the bottom one to submit it all.

When I did the orange sherbert, I started with 5 drops of orange and tested it on paper. I think it would have been fine but I went drop crazy and added 5 more and then it was a pumpkin color. I am sure this is the first of many mess ups.

Will it matter how many times I remelt a candle when I am trying to fix one?

I only had 1oz of the orange sherbert FO and I really like the scent. Will it be ok to experiment with the wax and dye, get it the right color, then remelt it and add FO when I get it?

Any suggestions on the cucumber melon candle? I think I got the picture posted.

That wierd pattern on top is normal for 4630 when poured into unheated jars. I'm not sure why the candles came out differently. When I pour 4630 into an unheated jar, I get that pattern on top. I pour at 180-185 though, so maybe you poured the green hotter than the orange. It won't affect the burn, just looks funny. Use a heat gun to smooth it out if you don't like the way it looks. :)

Thanks for the help. Special thanks to SatinDucky for helping me post the pics :highfive: .

Made my first candle and posted a link to a pic! I am on a roll!:bliss:

:embarasse More questions...

I only had 1oz of the orange sherbert FO and I really like the scent. Will it be ok to experiment with the wax and dye, get it the right color, let it harden then remelt it and add FO when I get it?

I started with 1oz of FO in the candles I made. I want to increase the FO because the cold throw isnt what I want. How much should I increase it by at a time?

If I get too much FO in a candle, will I be able to see the FO that the wax wouldnt take?

Has anyone got pics of some messed up candles (too much FO, pored at wrong temps,etc.)so I can see what a messed up candles looks like?

My goal isnt to Max out the amount of FO the wax will hold but get a great smelling candle. I aint trying to make mega max scented candles!

TIA

[Thanks for the help. Special thanks to SatinDucky for helping me post the pics :highfive: .

Anytime :)

Made my first candle and posted a link to a pic! I am on a roll!:bliss:

:embarasse More questions...

Eventually you will probably burn the scent off. You can remelt(for testing or personal use), but it's best to keep the temp low so you keep the scent.

I only had 1oz of the orange sherbert FO and I really like the scent. Will it be ok to experiment with the wax and dye, get it the right color, let it harden then remelt it and add FO when I get it?

Theres really no need to let the whole pot harden to see the color. Even a spoonful or two hard will show you the end result.

I started with 1oz of FO in the candles I made. I want to increase the FO because the cold throw isnt what I want. How much should I increase it by at a time?

More is not always better. Check and see what the FO load % for that wax is. If you go over it, it probably wont help, just waste money. If the load is high enough, you could add 1/2 oz. Some have said adding too much FO can lower the throw, but I don't know personally. Also, cold throw wont be as strong as hot throw. It's the heat that releases the scent. Some waxes, FOs (different scents and/or suppliers) and wick combinations just don't throw as well as others. I've never used this wax, so I can't comment on that.

If I get too much FO in a candle, will I be able to see the FO that the wax wouldnt take?

Not always. Sometimes the oil will sweat out, sometimes it wont.

Has anyone got pics of some messed up candles (too much FO, pored at wrong temps,etc.)so I can see what a messed up candles looks like?

There are sooo many different ways to mess up...LOL. That's really one of those preference things. What one person considers "messed up" another will think looks great. If you look through the gallery you'll run across many that the makers (and sometimes others) thought turned out bad.

That orange doesn't look pumpkin to me lol! But if you're wanting much lighter, you can always melt back down and combine with other wax and don't add color lol. Just test about a tsp's worth on some surface and wait for it to harden so you have a more realistic idea on the color :)

Now you know I dont know what titanium dioxide is. Sounds like something I might blow up the house with:undecided

Nope, you wont blow up the house with it :)

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide

In reference to candles, it's a pigment used to whiten. It hould be used sparingly since it is a pigment and not a dye. Pigments can easily clog the wick if too much is used.