Business name, why is this so complicated to me?

leenabug

Okay , I have asked for help on this before and I am ready to scream! Why is this so easy for some people and I am driving myself nuts! Been a year and we still haven't settled! I asked a few weeks ago if there was a connection between candles and upholstery ( which is the 2 main things I do)so that I could combine all the paperwork to one business.

Someone suggested Handcrafted Interiors, which I loved and thought was appropriate. I did some searches, didn't come up with anything with just those 2 words, thought I was good to go. Tried it out on friends and family....good ...good. I just did some more searches and it is taken! How did I miss this before I don't know!Back to square one.

I make/do things with my hands. Candles, arrangements, pillows, drapes, furniture reupholstery, alterations, rustic picture frames, etc. 2/3 of my income is furniture reupholstery(and other sewing things) 1/3 is candles and accents. So far I have kept the 2 seperate, but it would be a huge help to combine all the paperwork and customers. I have tried that in practice this summer and it has worked out great, but I can't find a name that doesn't seem to exclude one. (If it will fit for just the candles and furniture, that is good enough)

Am I wasting my time or making this complicated? Should I just decide on a name for the candle labels and forget including the rest? By the way, i live on a mountain, I work with family members, I like natural/rustic/earthy. The upholstery/sewing is done mostly by myself with some help from various family. The candles are always done together with my mom. Any help or advice?

It is so complicated because of the type of services your business offers and, well, choosing a business name is personal, for some of us. I remember when I was thinking of names for my salon, man, it liked to take forever so I know how you feel.

Handcrafted Interiors & Candles...that way the name is not leaving out anything? I googled both and Handcrafted Interiors is being used in OH *I think it was OH* but the web address is not being used. And I got nothing for just Handcrafted Interiors & Candles. I hth and I wish you the very best of luck....I am sure you will pick a name that will suit you.

I feel for you... I cannot for the life of me think of an appropriate business name for my company. (Even though I don't sell yet, I'm working towards that)

I've been pondering this for over a year now, and it is very frustrating.

How can I have a business and can't think of a name!!!! :confused:

Best of luck to you in your search. I wish I could be of help, I'm just here to support and say I totally understand... ;)

Dana

What people need to remember is to not go to a web domain registrar to look up anything - just go to say - thewebnameIwant.com and see what's on there. Some people just plant waiting on people to enter in to see if domain names are taken (and biz names too) and then claim all the rights and buy the domain and sell it to you "cheap".

ETA: Aside from that there are several businesses that have registered handcraft and homecraft interior in different states.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22handcraft+interiors%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=o3Y&q=%22homecraft+interiors%22&btnG=Search

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to combine the two into a name you'll like, simply because it's so different you're almost stuck to encompassing the whole home. Something like your name and Interiors? Like Mary Interiors or Mary's Interior Designs?

First thing off the top of my head - Firelight Interiors.. ??

Glow Design

Flicker And Fashion Interior Accents (FAFIA- for short, lol)

Ambiance Design Works

Wicks And ( or -N- ) Wares (Handmade Goods) (I'd be surprised though if that one wasn't already taken.)

Good luck to you. :smiley2:

I've been through this too. Finally gave up and just went with candles in my name. But maybe you will be lucky.

How about (insert your name) Candles & Cloth? I like alliteration (names that start with the same letter.)

The hardest part is so many good names are taken. :sad2:

Thanks everyone! Why can't I think of some of those names? I like several of the suggestions. Such as Handcrafted Candles & Gifts for those things and Handcrafted Stitchery for the upholstery? Stitches n Wicks is catchy.

This summer I had been using the name Handcrafted Home Decor on items (hang tags, invoices). However since I didn't really feel it covered everthing, I was using it as a way of saying this is what we offer, not that it was our business name.

Now that I have vented all my frustration , seeing it in type has made me think I was trying to hard to combine 2 things that just really don't go. I think I should just keep the candles and handmade items as one thing. Sewing and upholstery is always custom made from an order, never premade in advance. Its a service not an item to sell. So really it IS 2 different ventures. What was i thinking.?

Its just sometimes the people I do upholstery for never know I make candles and vice versa. When I combined the 2 on my hang tags and brochures this summer, i actually got upholstery calls from candle buyers. See the temptation................

One more thing.........is there ANY other name for "handmade/handcrafted" ?! I have racked my brain and tons of books for this one. Maybe I am stuck on those words...

I'm glad you like leenabug:o It is my childhood nickname and I am afraid to use it in business. I am afraid it sounds childish:o But it always makes me smile to hear it.

One more thing.........is there ANY other name for "handmade/handcrafted" ?! I have racked my brain and tons of books for this one. Maybe I am stuck on those words...

I'm glad you like leenabug:o It is my childhood nickname and I am afraid to use it in business. I am afraid it sounds childish:o But it always makes me smile to hear it.

It may sound childish to you but here is another way to look at it....it's unique. Things that are catchy like Stitches 'N Wicks and Leenabug Stitches 'N Wicks....these are names that will stick. And when you google Leenabug I am sure not much will come up for sure....:D And I don't think its childish....I think its kinda cute!

I agree with RNS - it's very cute, is very personal and unique!

How about Leenabug's Handwicked and Homespun? Or simple with Leenabug's Home Creations?

Leenabug's Livables?

I don't know what upholstery falls under, but maybe... Leenabug's Layouts?

Home Conceptions? (though might be taken)

Leenabug's Home Decor?

I can keep going if you'd like - if you want some more ideas.

One of the other words I hear in connection with upholstery is "custom", although not with candles. Usually denotes special treatment, just for that cusomter. Custom cabinets, for example. But I'm not sure how you could use that. Custom Cushions and Candles? (stuck on alliteration again!)

Yes Miss Mary, please keep going! I am going to print all this out and group the names so I can see it all together. I may combine something. As far as the handcrafted thing goes, I kept trying to stick to that because it seemed important to show that my items ARE made by hand(which is a big seller) However I like the suggestion for the word "custom"! hmmmmmmmm.........

Remember that the candles are done with my mom. I actually started the candles to give her an income. I have plenty of work just with the upholstery, but she can't do it, so we went in halves on the candles. So I feel I couldn't use just my name in the candles and gifts. (though you all are tempting me with "leenabug" on the sewing side of things)I even tried to name it "Mama's Candle Co. " in the beginning but she didn't like that. She actually mentioned calling it Hillbilly Candles because we are true rednecks in the mountains, but I was horrified. Then she loved the idea of "Homespun Elegance" but it was taken. So I said "Arcadian Accents" (one meaning of arcadian is rustic) but she wasn't so crazy about an unused word. I really appreciate all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming! I do think I will keep the sewing and candles seperate, though the perfect name may change my mind!!!!!! hmmm we did make purses/totes that we sold with the candles at a craft fare......(stitches n wicks)

You may have to sort of show to her - in a nice way of course - that unused IS what sells. You have to think broadly. If someone thinks of you and types in a common name, you may have literally thousands of people ahead of you in the searches.

Giving a unique but simple name really is the way to go for several reasons. Odds are, it won't be very likely that someone else will take it up in another state causing confusion. Same idea with the 411's and the yellow pages.

You're gonna have to make a decision with her. Go for everyday used words, take the chance to get lost in translation or searching you out, OR go for something that may not exactly be the most popular name out there, but will give you a uniqueness that will keep your customers looking for you easily, and coming back.

Think about it - if Bed, Bath and Beyond with with House Mart - it's just not the same.

If Starbucks went with House of Coffee - it's just not the same.

Your name represents your company, it shouldn't be too bland to where it's a common word unless you creatively put those words together.

You may have to sort of show to her - in a nice way of course - that unused IS what sells. You have to think broadly. If someone thinks of you and types in a common name, you may have literally thousands of people ahead of you in the searches.

Giving a unique but simple name really is the way to go for several reasons. Odds are, it won't be very likely that someone else will take it up in another state causing confusion. Same idea with the 411's and the yellow pages.

You're gonna have to make a decision with her. Go for everyday used words, take the chance to get lost in translation or searching you out, OR go for something that may not exactly be the most popular name out there, but will give you a uniqueness that will keep your customers looking for you easily, and coming back.

Think about it - if Bed, Bath and Beyond with with House Mart - it's just not the same.

If Starbucks went with House of Coffee - it's just not the same.

Your name represents your company, it shouldn't be too bland to where it's a common word unless you creatively put those words together.

You are oh so right about that one Miss Mary!!!! I could not agree with you more!!!

The Scented Chair. (Don't laugh; there are similarly goofy names out there. :D )

God I hope regionally that doesn't mean the chair one farts in. That's what came to mind lol.

Just going off the cuff

Threaded Ambiance

The Scented Hearth (but that may not work too well)

Woven Ambiance

Stone Hearth

Isn't there a saying that goes stitch in time ... (can't think of it ... but maybe Stitch in Time for a name

you can combine anything ... product, wares etc. You just have to be able to sell the connection.

I'm not much on rustic ... to me I think old and rusty whereas there's probably much more to it.

Could go with

Homespun Glory

Homespun Ambiance

Homespun Hearth

I've not run a search on any of these, but I know it aggravated me to no end to come with a name. What we have was not in my first three choices, but it was for everyone else I tossed it around with. Then took the top three or five choices to another group and they liked the same thing and I was the only apparently sitting around thinking how ho hum.