4627 and Wetspot/Container Dilemma

Looking for some sage advice and input here....

When I started making candles I chose 4627 due to its reputation for great hot/cold throw and adhesion to the container. I have no complaints against the throw!

However.....ah, the shrinkage and wetspots are insane. It doesn't matter what temp I pour, if I preheat my glass or not, how I cool them...sooner or later (usually both!) my candles look horrible. Full of shrinkage AND wetspots. Now I've searched regarding wetspots and it says learn to love (or at least accept them) and if it were just an occasional one or two I might be able to do that. But it is horrific, really...my candles burn well and smell great but look horrible.

I'm at a loss, as I just am not happy with these. I'm not sure if I should change or alter my wax, container, method, etc.

Has *anyone* else had this problem with 4627?

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks so much

Dana

Hi, I went thru the same thing! For over a year fighting wet spots. I started with J50, then changed to 70/30 wax. I get less spots with the 70/30 a nd I have tried everything also, from adding crisco to cooling in an insulated box. I honestly believe its in the temp. This summer when my candle room was HOT, my candles looked great! A friend of mine made me an insulated box, and that helps. I don't use the wax that you are using...but maybe try the box! I know when winter hits I'm gonna have those darn spots again, but not as many as I had b4 the box! Hope I helped a little. I could never learn to love the spots either, And my candles, like yours, were good except for looking ugly at times. The box is easy to make, let me know if you need any suggestions on how to make one and good luck!

Looking for some sage advice and input here....

When I started making candles I chose 4627 due to its reputation for great hot/cold throw and adhesion to the container. I have no complaints against the throw!

However.....ah, the shrinkage and wetspots are insane. It doesn't matter what temp I pour, if I preheat my glass or not, how I cool them...sooner or later (usually both!) my candles look horrible. Full of shrinkage AND wetspots. Now I've searched regarding wetspots and it says learn to love (or at least accept them) and if it were just an occasional one or two I might be able to do that. But it is horrific, really...my candles burn well and smell great but look horrible.

I'm at a loss, as I just am not happy with these. I'm not sure if I should change or alter my wax, container, method, etc.

Has *anyone* else had this problem with 4627?

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks so much

Dana

For as much as I know, which isn't a lot, sounds like the candles are cooling to fast....That was my major problem. When I can get them to cool slower I have way less wet spots. And thats what the box does for mine.

It doesn't matter how hot or cold you pour cause even a nice looking candle will 'grow' back those awful looking wet spots eventually no matter what you do. Its the nature of the wax.

I ended up making a blended parasoy. That got rid of the wetspots completely. No more heating jars, trying a million different pouring temps, using a heat gun to get rid of wet spots, etc, etc, ad nauseum. I couldn't be happier.

I guess my beef was this wax was supposed to have *excellent* adhesion properties......no additives needed. I agree with you candybee, no matter what variables I change the wetspots and shrinkage appear.

I guess it is time to start testing a new wax.....maybe I'll use the rest of this in tins.

Parasoy sounds like a nice alternative! :)

dana

Order a slab of 70/30 from Tennessee Candle Supply and see what you think. I like CD wicks with this wax, but others like LX or ECO wicks. GL Candle Supply has a wick thread that will give you all the info you need. I tried the 4627 in every combination of paraffin and soy waxes and did not care for any of the outcomes. Its just not the look I wanted for my candles. HTH.

Chuck

I've never seen a batch of 4627 that does that, yet it doesn't surprise me. The product is manufactured in two places, last I heard, and there can be variation depending on where it came from and maybe inconsistency over time as well.

You could try adding some mineral oil and see if that helps it stick.

Whick supplier did you get it from?

At the risk of being redundant, I'll repeat the comments I made in another thread. I don't get wet spots, or more accurately, I get VERY few. I use J-50, add Crisco, (and a couple other goodies), and heat my jars prior to pouring, and voila, no wet spots. Now, I know those of you who know more than I do have laughed and said Crisco & heating the jars is useless, but I stand on my belief that, unless there has been divine intervention, the way I make my candles must have something to do with the results.

So laugh on, and continue to complain about wet spots, but I'm past that problem, and working on others.

Fredron