candle making vs soap making

Hi, I've never made a candle or a soap in my life but I'd like to eventually either start making candles or soaps and try to sell them just to see where that will take me.

For those who make both, I'd like to know which one is easier to make? Which one is more expensive in terms of equipment, ingredients etc.? Which one sells better? And finally, I know that candle makers are being hit with price increases but is it the same for soap makers?

I live in Canada so if I decided to do soy wax candles for example, I would have to import the wax and most of the supplies. I'm wondering if soap ingredients would be easier to find here.

Neither one is easier. They both have their headaches and celebrations.

Personally, read and read and read in both sections and see which interests you more and start there.

Neither hobby is about putting a wick in it and calling it a candle or mixing some oils together and calling it soap. In other words, don't expect to make and just go out and sell. Not saying there aren't a lot of people here who don't do that, just there are more of us who will warn against it for your safety and the integrity of the crafts.

Candlemakers are not the only ones hit with price increases. Oils for soaping have been going up almost as rapidly.

Being someone who does both ... they are both equally expensive IMO. For me, finding the right mix and curbing my FO addiction can be expensive regardless if I'm making soap or candles.

Can't help you with anything Canadian.

For those who make both, I'd like to know which one is easier to make?

Both have their benefits. I'd say soap was easier on the whole because you don't have to deal with wicks. However, you DO have to deal with lye, and that is a big safety issue.

Which one is more expensive in terms of equipment, ingredients etc.?

It depends. You can make both pretty basic, using household items. I you're leaning towards doing it professionally, they seem about equal to me.

Which one sells better?

Too easy to say. Depends on your marketing, location, product... too many variables.

And finally, I know that candle makers are being hit with price increases but is it the same for soap makers?

Soap ingredients have gone up too, as well as some scents. Some depends what you use, where you buy from, if you can get it local...

Bottom line: If you're thinking of doing either, prepare yourself to shell out some money to do it properly. Half of the start-up costs is valued in time for testing, purchasing, researching, etc. and the other half in raw materials. There's no way to know exactly what you are looking for and what formula works for OR what you will be good at doing until you dive in and test it out.

Best of luck!!

Ditto what they said!

Would also like to add that even if you can master a great candle or soap doesn't equate into great sales. You also have to be a savvy marketing person which can cover quite a lot of area in itself, promo materials, contracts, packaging and labeling, digital photography, website building & modification, the list goes on and on-- and that doesn't even include the constant upkeep of your education, trade shows, periodicals, books, magazines, classes for trade and business. Then there is the business end; licensing, insurance, accounting, inventory, and basically learning how to run a small business....

You dont have to get your supplies imported from across the border if you are in Canada. I dont know where in Canada you are..I'm on Ontario...you can check out www.canwax.com and www.villagecraftandcandle.com

I get all my supplies from there. The only time I go across the border for supplies is if I see a fragrance oil I want that neither of my suppliers carry.

BTW, Canwax owner, sara jane, is amazing and even if you dont see something on her website you can email her and see if she wil get it for you. she is wonderful to work with and you can ask questions.

I do candles and soon hope to make my first CP soap...so I can't say which is easier...yet.

I make both and find both a great way to express my creativity....however both are expensive to get started.If you want to do this as a business you have to do tons and tons and tons and tons of testing before you can sell your first product. Neither is something to just jump in...make one and try to sell it. They both need a lot of learning and tons of reading and then trial and error.

As far as what sells and doesn't sell that simply depends on your area I think. I sell tons more candles than I do bath & body but my location has a lot to do with that. It depends on what your competition is locally.

This is the best web site if you are interested in making soap. Making soap is way cool and not that complicated IMHO. Candles are another story. Lots of time, money and a ton of stuff that you can only learn through personal experience. http://www.millersoap.com/

Learn to use the search tool on all the boards (saves you a lot of time researching) and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most questions will be answered with a particular thread that best addresses the issue at hand.

Good luck,

Chuck

Let me say good luck and congradulations on your future soap and candle making adventures. I've been at this about a year now and this is what I've found.

When I started soaping I believe I could just mix a batch let it cure and be ready to sell. my plan was 6 weeks from my first sopa batch to market. Every book that I purchase addressed selling.

taking your hobby to a business. I found out quite quickly that wasn't going to happen.

I have also learned to do a lot of research, there a many, many message boards with lots of good information, but they also may have a lot of nasty negative folks, so be prepared for discouraging post. I will say that this board has some of the nicest and most helpful folks you will ever find. :thumbsup:

If you want to make and sell soap and/or candles I say go for it.

At this time I am still not ready to market a product, but I haven't dedicated the time and testing to get a product I a confident with.

I think the most expensive equipment purchase was the scale and a stickblender, everything else came right from the kitchen or the thrift store. My first molds were paper quart milk cartons.

I started with cold process soap, but I think melt and pour would be a fun place to start, I haven't tried it yet but I have seen and used some pretty impressive soap. Craft shops carry kits.

As for candles I am very new to this as well. I just started with a kit, containers and all off ebay. It was a farly inexpensive way to see if this was something that I would enjoy doing. (and it is:yay: ).

Lastly, the last bit of advice I can give it don't let yourself get overwhelmed and lost in what everyone else is doing. (A classic do as I say not as I do statement) If you try to soap and use a lot of exotic/expensive oils and additives, the expensive may be discouraging, with the exception of lye you probably have the materials to make soap already in your kitchen.

Vegatable shortening, canola oil and olive oil is a good place (cheap) start.