to soy or not to soy

ajna

I've done both and currently doing paraffin only due to price of soy right now. I've done 100% soy, soy blend as well. I loved my soy blend just couldn't afford it so I switched to paraffin. 100% soy had major appearance issues and so left it undyed. IMO, paraffin works best with most oils...soy is a little more picky and requires the good stuff!

I use to use J50 and then it changed to IGI 4636, both I just loved! Great hot and cold throws! However, 4636 makes a crappy looking candle (tons of wet spots) and I just couldn't live with that any longer. 4630, couldn't stand the sunk in tops..don't have time to heat gun it...

Now using 6006, it's real good with most of my FO's, but some of the lighter FO's, it sucks....bad...so those FO' are outta here! Makes a gorgeous candle.

I also use Eco soy CB advanced and after a long cure time, they are awesome! I can even use zinc wicks in them. But, down here in SE Texas I can't sell a soy candle to save my life! Wonder why? Hmmmmmm..

I wish J50 were here!

Carrie

Taking into account we work with both soy and paraffin but not together as a blend, I am wondering what it is exactly you all prefer over the blend rather than either as a stand alone product.

I feel we have achieved great candles both with paraffin and soy and do the soy to market to the "soy" crowd, an alternative choice. If we offered a blend we couldn't do that, I don't feel comfortable marketing a blend as a soy product and I sure our target group choses soy over paraffin for their own reasons.

Having said that our paraffin outsells our soy hands down, probabaly due to the cost difference in our pricing structure, we just can't produce and all soy candle for as little as a paraffin. In addition we offer a limited selection of soy products so that ofsets the sale figures as well.

So I guess what I am asking is do you feel you that with a blend you get better throw, a better looking candle, can market it as soy....or what?

Just curious

Wendy

I love the burn time and the creamy but not vasaliney look of soy. I love the scent throw of paraffin. The combination makes a beautiful, frost free, great smelling candle!!

Paraffin, for me, enhances the throw of soy and keeps the frost fairy at bay. For me it isn't about "pleasing" a certain crowd. For me it is making a great smelling, great looking candle that people really remember.

I have no problem calling it a soy blend as it is 75% soy. Just enough paraffin to make the soy behave!!

HTH

Danielle

Taking into account we work with both soy and paraffin but not together as a blend, I am wondering what it is exactly you all prefer over the blend rather than either as a stand alone product.

I feel we have achieved great candles both with paraffin and soy and do the soy to market to the "soy" crowd, an alternative choice. If we offered a blend we couldn't do that, I don't feel comfortable marketing a blend as a soy product and I sure our target group choses soy over paraffin for their own reasons.

Having said that our paraffin outsells our soy hands down, probabaly due to the cost difference in our pricing structure, we just can't produce and all soy candle for as little as a paraffin. In addition we offer a limited selection of soy products so that ofsets the sale figures as well.

So I guess what I am asking is do you feel you that with a blend you get better throw, a better looking candle, can market it as soy....or what?

Just curious

Wendy

I think it's just a matter of prefrence. Someone made the point that both paraffin and soy each have there own issues. In my opinion the para/soy blend tends to even out the issues on both sides. Personally, I like working with the blend better than just paraffin or just soy. As far as throw, again in my opinion you can achieve a good ST with any of the three and as for marketing, I would think that you would market them as "Para/Soy" ... :D

I absolutely agree w/ everything Danielle said. I made pure soy candles for at least 4 yrs & just got tired of fighting against the natural quirks of the wax. Then I spent another 2 yrs tweaking the wax w/ every additive combo you can think of. I was very happy w/ my finished soy candles, but I did tire of trying to make it be something it would never be. Price was the final blow, so I jumped on a 70/30 blend. Just about the time I had tested that wax, it took a big price hit. So, I switched again to a 30/70 blend. I love the blend & don't see the benefits of bending to the 'soy trend' -- especially since the majority of people are full of misinformation & there aren't any real label requirements to regulate what is being sold as a true soy candle. I can still sell more candles than I can make w/ the goal being a solid quality candle, instead of bowing to misleading marketing hype. For me, the blend just offers more of the best qualities of each wax without being locked into a fixed perception that either one carries.

Susan.

I've worked with both seperately and prefer the parasoy blend the best. As others said you really get the best of both worlds and a whole lot less problems-- no rough tops or frosting from the soy; and no wet spots from the parrafin. They work well together and make a great burning candle that my customers tell me smells wonderful!

However, if you blend it yourself be prepared to test a lot of different blends and waxes until you get what you want. I prefer to blend myself but there are preblended parasoys like the 6006 mentioned in this thread.

Where I live, you have to seperate paraffin and soy as there are many who have an issue of all natural and think soy is the way to go without any additives of paraffin. I have to go with a whole range of waxes to please my market, but can not use paraffin with soy.

I vote for the blend! I will say I am currently testing 4 waxes with different combos...couple are pariffin blends so when we are testing if the parifin blend is better that is what we will go with. My goal is great quality, creamy, smooth, excellent throw. I am not trying to market soy or pariffin,which ever has the better candles with those qualitys. LeeAnn~

I like NatureWax C3 and several types of palm waxes - I don't blend waxes as a rule, but have done so with good results for some special projects. It all comes down to cost and personal preference. Every wax has drawbacks and fortes - just depends upon what you want and what will do well in your market. Cost of shipping is a BIG factor these days, so it pays to try different types until you find something that works for you that you can purchase close by you. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I started off making Palm candles and got a palm blend from a Canadian supplier. It was a breeze to work with and wonderful. Then all my customers kept asking for soy so I slowly started making a 100% soy candle. Love the burning but they are hard to make. I have to heat gun every single one I make to get it to look right. Plus using EO's with soy is hard because it doesn't hold the scent. Palm was way easier but my market really likes the soy so I've stuck with that.

Right now though I'm thinking of trying some paraffin only candles and will try a few just to see if customers would buy them and they would be cheaper.

What are the benefits of paraffin over soy other than the price?