Who has the best wick stickums? and a rant...

OK, I think BCS now has a new supplier for their wick stickums, BUT, they suck even worse than the "can't get the paper off" situation.

I ordered 2000 of thes babies, went to wick jars this AM and they stick like a dream! Once they are on, they are on! You can lift the jar by the wick and they are stuck on really good!

EXCEPT, when you pour hot wax, then the wick comes loose from the tab!

Crap!

I have about 50 old BCS stickums left.

WHO HAS THE BEST?

I need to order today!

Thanks!

Carrie

I use to get mine at Cierra, got a bad batch last time did the same thing. Got some from BCN same problem. My only solution was to hit the jars with the heat gun before I poured, just straight down to the bottom. Pain in the arse. It's always somethin huh Carrie. Can't win. You can always heat your jars and then wick. OMG did I say that. LOL

We've tried glue dots, wick stickums from several sources and high-temp hot glue (usually holds okay)...

The ONLY adhesive we have tried that has never let go during a powerburn is high-temp silicon rubber gasket maker (rated for 600°), available at auto parts stores everywhere.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm

Just to add another thought..... we have always used glue dots from Enchanted Lights and they have always held really well and never let go when hot wax is added. The only things we buy from them now are the glue dots and our jars and lids....prices have been fairly reasonable and the quality of the jars has been very good as well.

Mike

never let go when hot wax is added

That's the least of the worry... The problem is when the candle burns down, particularly during a powerburn, and the glue fails to keep the wicktab in place, allowing it to "wander" when the wax becomes totally liquified. The candle doesn't have to be bumped or moved for this to occur - the convection currents in the hot liquid wax are sufficient to move the wicktab all the way to the side of the container. When the adhesive fails, it also allows the wick to keep on slurping liquid wax from underneath, defeating the self-extinguishing purpose of the wick tab.

I myself have never had a problem with Bittercreek....I ordered 1 time from Candles and Supplies and they all released and I had over 35 candles made....What a horror that was that I don't even want to think about again.....

Oh you'll get some here and there that might be a little hard to pull off the paper but no biggy....

Trappeur

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone! I did purchase some from CMS, so we'll see how they do. I did have a prob. with theirs last year....BCS hasn't responded yet.

Carrie

Did you ever hear back???

I bet they said " We haven't had any other complaints about them!!":tiptoe:

Well I got one of the new rolls and the stickums are fine like you said when you start, but once I pour, the damn wick tab slips of the stick-um and floats up!!!

It is sticking to the bottom of the jar, but releases from the wick tab??? :mad:

What's up with that!!

The stickums are thicker now and they have air bubbles float up after pouring...:rolleyes2

I don't like BCS's at all. I hate peeling the little tabs off. Then they wouldn't even come off at all. I hate Glue Dots. They come loose when you pour. The only ones for me are the square ones. Easy to peel, no tabs. If you ask Steve at Candlemaker, sometimes he has a bunch of mistake ones. They get cut wrong, or some little thing. I buy 75.00 at a time of these. Reg. price would be about 130.00. They work great. He doesn't always have them. He is the one that makes them for the other companies. :highfive:

BCS took the wick stickums back and even credited the shipping too! They did have some of the older ones, that had the paper backing that wouldn't come loose easily, told her I'd take those....not a real big problem for me, I figured how to do it...LOL

I did get some stickums from CMS and they are working fine.

I use to use the hot glue gun method years ago, but got tired of that....but, I NEVER had a problem using that method.

Maybe I'll go back to that way.....hmmmmm

Thanks all for your input!

Carrie

Candlemakers store are great for me. I did have some trouble getting them to stick once. After playing around with them I found my jars can get a bit of dampness in them. I warm the jars in a roaster to evaporate the moisture and they stick to the point of being difficult to get off. They also stick better when the wick tabs are the size of the stickums. When the metal wick tab is smaller then the stickum.. I've had them come loose. just a few things that could be affecting what you already have.

Ok. I have used this method for years and it never fails. Wal-Mart sells these:

3M-Scotch-Foam-Mounting-Squares.image.jpeg?Size=225&sku=MMM111&pid=11965086

I cut each square in half and then cut four from each half...takes about a minute to make 8 of them. They fit just right and will not come off or loosen at the end of the candle burn. The paper is easy to peel off and they are easy to remove if you want to re-use the jar. A large pack has about 36 squares for about $3.50 so they cost about a penny apiece. HTH

Chuck