Reduced FO quality or my nose?

Brenda (OH)

Have you ever re-ordered oils from the same supplier that you know have a great CT and HT in your formula and get nil to nothing from the new batch recieved? I am struggling with this from one of my suppliers latest shipment and I am certain I do not have candle nose. OOB smelled weaker so I poured up a couple testers and nada. I also had to wick up 2 sizes to achieve a FMP with one of the oils. Thinking it was just me, I also poured a few tarts to confirm my suspicions and they too didn't throw or last as long. Another oil I had tested a sample and loved it so ordered a pound. Same results. :cry2:

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have sent out an email to the supplier but haven't heard back from them yet. I will give them a bit of time to reply before calling with the holiday weekend upon us. I have a candle burning right next to my keyboard and I can't smell it at all, I have almost burnt nose hairs trying to get a slight waft. I use a parasoy container blend, 8% FO and the candle was poured on 8/7 with almost 3 weeks cure. I typically use zinc wicks but have even tested other wicks with no luck. I am so bummed !

Could it be the Phthalates Free movement going on? Someone mentioned about a pipe tobacco scent that wasn't the same after the supplier changed to phthalates free.

The website doesn't state either way in the scent description - phthalates or not. I hadn't considered that possiblitity but maybe that is the case.

I posted a couple weeks ago about weak Seasonal fragrances. My guess is that some suppliers are watering down (diluting with DPG or some other carrier to make the scents less expensive.) When I had this happen, I also found out that you had to wick up. (The carrier oil required a bigger wick.) I know of one supplier that is definitely doing that now. They won't last long as a supplier. No names. Carole

I have had this happen with at least two oils too and it is really frustrating when you find out after you have sold some knowing that whoever bought them are going to think they are duds. I found out by giving one of them as a gift to a friend and this same friend had bought the other one for herself and she remembered how it was before -- had a kick butt throw before. I found out later that this oil was pulled by the supplier but not sure if it was for a scent throw problem -- believe I saw other issues they were having with it - raw material problems, but that I guess could affect scent throw. I know it is not the wax because I am getting great throws with the other oils. Really frustrating.

I have had this happen with at least two oils too and it is really frustrating when you find out after you have sold some knowing that whoever bought them are going to think they are duds. I found out by giving one of them as a gift to a friend and this same friend had bought the other one for herself and she remembered how it was before -- had a kick butt throw before. I found out later that this oil was pulled by the supplier but not sure if it was for a scent throw problem -- believe I saw other issues they were having with it - raw material problems, but that I guess could affect scent throw. I know it is not the wax because I am getting great throws with the other oils. Really frustrating.

That has happened to us except it was the wax. bad formulation..i guess. So now we test each batch. LeeAnn~

It seems there is never an end to problems..

I would think if they change their forumlas, they

should have a notation about the change..

We work hard at making our candles.

And it cost alot of money to always be testing.

But I guess that is the way it goes..

Hopefully you can get this fo figured out..:highfive:

Update - I received an email back from the supplier, their formula hasn't changed on their end and they are doing a candle test to see if they find any differences. They will let me know what they find.

Your lucky they are looking into it. I've complained a couple of times and most say nothing has changed and that's the end. Good luck...

I had a similar issue when I received a sample of a particular oil. Loved it so much that I ordered a pound. When I received the lb., it didn't smell like the sample but decided to throw the 1 oz. sample into the same bottle (because it is the same right?), WRONG! As soon as I poured the sample into the lb. bottle of oil, a huge white lumpy gob appeared and sunk to the bottom. Called the supplier on it and even took pics, but they swore up and down that the two were the same oils. PMO!

That is something I am always afraid of. Even just from one order to the next. I guess we have know our suppliers care enough to consider they could have a problem and check it out. If I had a supplier that wouldn't believe they could even possibly have a problem, I would have one less supplier as fast as I could replace those oils.

Hope you get a favorable answer to your issue Brenda.

T

Got word back from the supplier and in a brief, very brief, email this is what they said.

"I tested over the weekend and we seen no change"

Soooo - not sure my take on this . . .all I know is my testing notes for the last 6 years tell me different. I have incurred testing costs trying to make "knock your doors off" oils work. Moving on to look for alternarive options :undecided

• 8 months later...

It has has happened several time to me. I don't even want to get on this subject. When you call and talk to them, you are the only one that has complained. Oh yeah right. One year they watered down the spiced cranberry to make it thru Christmas. I had so many returns. I thought it seemed weak. And soon found out I was right. I looked like a fool to my customers. I never ordered another thing from them. They lost big time. And they will never replace all the candles you made and lost. You have to really check the oils when they come in. Make sure they are right. If you can. I have had 3 different suppliers do this to me. Ones we all use. And some of them change the fragrance completely and don't tell you. Makes me want to blow up something.:angry2:

I'm with you Debra! I think this is happening alot also!! I have had several also that just were not the same great oils they were prior.. I'm in such fear of it now.. I'm avoiding large orders of oils at the moment..

I wonder if this is from the manufacturer or the supplier.. and like you say they always say there is no change !! But when you have used an oil for a long time and have previous to compare you know when something has changed..

These oils were already phaylate free

I had one supplier, new owner now. They didn't pay their bills to the suppliers so they had to by oils from other suppliers. They had the best magnolia, and I had used it for years. When that happened, they got a hold of a terrible magnoila, but didn't tell me it was different went I picked it up. I went home opened it and about gagged. I called right then and ask if I could exchange it when I came back in. Do you know they told me NO. There was a sign on the wall, no exchanges. I told them they just lost my business. I looked at my books and I had spent an average of 12,000 a year with them. You would think they would call me back. Oh no, they never did. They are now out of the business, wonder why. They ended up selling everything they could, and handing back to the original owner. :yay:

• 1 month later...

Well I have the same thing. I've reordered some oils from a company that I've been dealing with for years and noticed a big change in OOB, a much weaker throw and more of a chemical base to it. Out of six scents I ordered, four are very weak. I had an old bottle( a few months old) and a new bottle side by side to compare OOB and you can definitely tell the difference. I did emailed twice to the company with my concerns only to have a short reply stating there have been no change to the formulations and that there were no other complaints. These are their topseller oils so the rotation of the batches are frequent which is why I'm questioning the formulation.:confused:

Now I'm looking at crossing them off my supplier list which is really too bad because they HAD great oils.

This company I'm sure most of you have dealt with.