Favorite soap mold and coloring

Juggy

Well I have finally made my first batch of CP soap using Flickers recipe 50/50 lye/water and turned out good (will post pic when camera starts behaving) so I have been bitten by the bug! I need to order a few more things so my question is: what is your favorite soap mold and favorite way to color your soap? I used a cardboard shoe box but didn't like the way the soap looked from the corners. I used b&b liquid color and did not show up well at all. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

I love these log molds from Creekside Soaps. I also use their log cutter. They send you the mold lined with Freezer Paper so you can see how they line their molds. My corners are perfect now and I don't lose any soap end due to unsightly wrinkles etc.

http://creeksidesoaps.com/supplies/soap-mold.htm#mold5

I have also gotten some slab molds from Candles and Woodcrafts. I line these with Freezer Paper also since I learned that technique from Creekside Soaps.

http://www.candlesandwoodcrafts.com/woodensoapmolds.html

I like to use herbs for coloring. I get great results from Emporium Naturals.

http://www.emporiumnaturals.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=bc9d61e528635c37bc381644e7889acb

I have had great service from all those listed above and I am very happy with their products.

My favorite mold is my 25-bar slab and 4-lb log from Soap Hutch. Next is my log mold from Jeff (on here) ... am disappointed in my multi-log TOG mold. I do like my 16-bar mold from Misty Creek ... I imagine my next favorite mold may be the one someone else makes. Been eyeing more at For Craft's Sake.

Colorants -- TKB micas and Select Shades. TKB is quick and Select Shades is slower than molasses sometimes (depends on who you are I guess.)

I've been really wanting to buy some new molds lately I think I am leaning toward a Silvermoon or even one of Jeff's. They both look like they make nice molds so I am having a hard deciding. Hell, I take one of each! :D But I have (and love) a couple Kelsie's that I use to make slab soaps. I also have a large wood log mold that I dearly love to use when I want to put some kind of soap embeds or do layers. I also have and love my Uplands cylinder mold. I have an Uplands slab mold but I don't use that one much. It's super easy to use but I want one the FCS soap cutters that are made for this mold.

I use and also love both the Select Shades & POP colors.

My slab molds are made by my DH and they have worked great for me, inexpensive too! I never have to trim ends or do anything to the bars once cut. I use Select Shades from Tradewinds and like them when they behave but have some people balk at FD&C colorants. So many people into the natural thing. I use a lot of oxides and ultramarines that I buy from Southern Soapers or Kangaroo Blue (they're at ISOCAN so it's cash & carry) and clays that I got from NDA. HTH

April

favorite log - #2 lbders TLC Soaps, my large ones (18in long) I made myself

favorite slab - MrDowright

colorants - Oxides, Ultramarines, Mica's and natural colorants

cutter- the only one I have, other than my My MrDoWright mold is my miter box and a taping knife.

Juggy,

Get you something that lasts if you want to make this a permanent thing you do. If you're going with wood, maybe make your own and that way you have what you think you want. If you're going with plastics, etc. ItsmeJeffd on here makes a good one and so does Rich at soaphutch.com (both places you can order custom molds).

IF you were me, grab a log mold and a slab mold. You have one of each and would have time to decide which you like.

My favorite log mold cutter is a hobby tank cutter from FOr Crafts Sake I believe. A group of special women got it for me and I love it to death (because it cuts straight!!!)

Favorite Log: I really don't have one as of yet, I hate lining molds so anything that I don't have to line will be okay with me!!!:o

Favorite Slab: My Upland mold, I just love the removable line, it's my fav thus far, I want a Jeff mold next

I like to us Celestial Colors, as the colors are in dispensible bottles already to go so no need to mix and transfer. Next colors to try are TKB's and some more Natural colorants.

Cutter: I have a wire cutter from Creekside Soaps, and 2 cutters one wavy and the other straight.

Favorite mold~ Misty Creek 16 bar mold. My only problem is finding boxes that will fit my soaps. I fill the mold with five pounds because I really enjoy the bigger bars.

Because I use a Misty creek, I use their knife too. And lining is a breeze with freezer paper.

colorants~ Select shades when I am not doing a goats milk bar.

Fire

I feel like such an oddball, but my favorite molds are my Martha molds. I can't seem to bring myself to give them up yet, though I dearly need to see about a couple of custom molds. My favorite colorants are ultramarines, natural colornats and TBK POP colors. Cutter, I'll have to say my mitre box and pastry blade.

Rena

I always answer this question with the answer "It depends" LOL

Because depending on the look I'm going for, that will dictate which mold I like for that particular technique. For instance, if I want a textured top, I use my log molds and LOVE it for that. If I am swirling, I will use my slab molds and will not use any other molds for swirling because I love my slabs for that. Round soaps dictate I use my PVC piping and I like that much better than say the pringles cans or something similar.

As for coloring, I mainly use Ultramarines and Oxides. I started with those and have stuck with them because they are easy for me and I can usually achieve the look I'm going for using them.

as for my favorite type of soap to make - that also depends on the mood I'm in at the time. :) (I know, really not much help was it?)

I bought my mold from catzinthehouse on etsy. The molds she makes are easy to break apart and never leaked. She accepts custom order and works fast.

I use colorant from emporium natural and love it. Not as much variety as non-natural colorants but good enough for me.