Freezing butters

gerrie

How many of you freeze your butters? I put my butters in the freezer, and when I need some I just chip off the amount I need and put the rest back in the freezer. This has worked very well for me, but I have decided not to do B&B any longer, so I have these butters sitting in my freezer that I'd like to sell in the classifieds. My question is, they will probably thaw getting from here to there and I don't know what that might to to the quality of them. Any ideas? Not sure of all that I have, but I'm pretty sure I have Babassu, Mango, Golden Shea, Unrefined Shea, Cocoa, and maybe a few others. TIA

We must have been reading each other's minds, because I logged on right now specifically to ask about freezing butters and oils. I've got several, don't do as much soaping and whatnot with them as the rest of you do, I don't want them to go rancid, so I was wondering if it were safe for them to store them in the freezer. Do many of you do that?

Darbla

I would thaw them at home first. The quick change in temp would probably cause condensation and might make them grainy.

I don't refridgerate or freeze my butters. They are stored in a cool, dark cabinet. Last week, I was cleaning out the cabinet, and in the back I discovered a couple pounds of unrefined shea and cocoa from a little over 2 years ago. They both still look and smell normal.

This post might prove how many people read the title only. :P

MM, I did as you suggested. I thawed them in my cool basement first. No condensation at all, they thawed just fine. Plus I'm making sure they are sent Priority and no over the weekend sitting in the PO. Thanks for all who posted. It's always nice to know others do the same thing with the same good results.

How many of you freeze your butters? I put my butters in the freezer, and when I need some I just chip off the amount I need and put the rest back in the freezer. This has worked very well for me, but I have decided not to do B&B any longer, so I have these butters sitting in my freezer that I'd like to sell in the classifieds. My question is, they will probably thaw getting from here to there and I don't know what that might to to the quality of them. Any ideas? Not sure of all that I have, but I'm pretty sure I have Babassu, Mango, Golden Shea, Unrefined Shea, Cocoa, and maybe a few others. TIA

Sorry Jerri, I did in fact read more than the title but didn't answer your question.

A few years ago here I think it was Carmen that did a shea butter co-op during the summer.

She froze the butter, double bagged it in ziplocks, packed it in peanuts and shipped it out on a Monday ( to avoid sitting in a warehouse )

No one reported any problems and mine was still solid when it arrived from Ill to Fl

The box was not soggy, the shea was not grainy.

I would think that any of the butters would be fine to ship frozen, make sure you double bag and secure and the peanuts help to insulate so use them freely.

HTH