Weekend Craft Show

wvcandleguy

Good morning ladies and gents. I just wanted to post on here and rant for a few seconds. I have a one day show scheduled for tomorrow. Its sponsored by the local Red Cross, and I try to do it every year. I usually make a little bit from it, but I mainly do it to help out the cause. Here is my gripe. This is supposed to be a craft fair... hand made items, etc. I just found out that Home Interiors AND Mary Kay are setting up. 2 years ago, I was right beside the HI booth, and it really sucked big time. I dont think that its right for them to be able to come into a CRAFT show... :mad: Anyway, thanx for letting me vent.. now I can get in the mind set for the show

I'm sorry this is happening to you. It all depends on the "craft" fair coordinators who they will allow in. I am doing my first craft fair next weekend at our local high school. They are only allowing crafters to exhibit, meaning only vendors whose items for sale are handmade. They are very strict about this, so I feel it really gives the crafter a fair shake! IMO, Avon, HI, Mary Kay, etc. should never be set up at a "craft" fair. But who am I?! ;)

Our high school craft show is very strict about these things too, in fact they said if I didn't make the tart burners that I sell along with my tarts that I couldn't bring them. So I didn't. But there was a guy there with a load of tart burners, very obvious he didn't make them, you can find them on the web. Someone in China made them, but not him. That upset me, seems like what's fair for one should be fair for the next.

I know a lot of crafters that have opted out of craft shows when they see more and more commercial vendors show up, but the show still gets their money, they don't seem to care who it's coming from, so sad.

This seems to be coming more and more the norm. Craft shows seem to be less and less about crafts. Hubby and I went to a show this last Saturday just to look around and there were very few booths with actual handmade crafts. As a vendor it is upsetting to see all of these booths but as a customer its upsetting also. If I am going to a CRAFT show then I want to see some crafts!

That's the hard part about fairs, trying to figure out who's really going to be there. My Labor day fair is pretty clean, but it does have a Mary Kay. My 3 holiday fairs coming up are truly handmade only. One nice thing about the *really* small fairs.

Maybe you can figure out something that they don't do - emphasize how you can custom tailor your product, or free shipping for local, or...

Good luck tho!

If there is nothing you can do about it, learn to compete against them and win! The show I'm doing next weekend had both HI and Golden Canyon candles last year. But as soon as I set up and take the lids off of the first candles, they know for a fact they're toast. They generally pack up and leave early. The HI lady will be back this year but she's not bringing any candles with her. The Golden Canyon lady is doing a didfferant show.

The big name companies I have competed against and won are.

Home Interior

Golden Canyon

Our own Candle Company

Donate a basket of candle that everyone can smell before they bid on it. In other wordss, don't wrap them up. They the people will be directed to your table.

It works great!:yes:

I welcome the big boys because it gives me something to measure my sales and customers against!

Were the Home Interior vendors Selling product? It is against their policy to sell at shows like that. They are only supposed to book parties at these type of events. If they are selling get their Business Card and turn them in to Home Interior.

Each year there are complaints that HI sets up. Nothing is usually done. I have even seen booths set up in the local mall. The HI vendors set up with a vast majority of their products, and because it has the HI name, and they can sell em cheaper... they get the bigger portion of the sales. which really sux

Were the Home Interior vendors Selling product? It is against their policy to sell at shows like that. They are only supposed to book parties at these type of events. If they are selling get their Business Card and turn them in to Home Interior.

Yes they were selling product but the only thing she sold last year was a Bean Pot with a moose on it and she sold it to me.

Frankly I'm not worried about it if she can sell a few things at a show, great. I don't think she booked any parties though.:tongue2:

Be sure to fill out the survey (if they have one) at the show and state your perspective. We were pretty upset about the number of commercial vendors at the last show and we all stated that on our surveys. At the very least, they should be in a separate area. We have one coming up next weekend that is like that - the vendors will be in a different room than the crafters.

I am doing a craft show and going to be with the commercial people and not crafters.Kinda not wanting to but helping a friend.as I mentioned in another post. will say that last year I did a small show in a town that had 3 different locations.People went all over the town.I was across from a Tupperware Lady and she was giving her stuff away and still wasn't getting business.I got more business than anyone in the building. People came straight to my table.

People will buy what they want.For the holidays it is handmade items.I don't think I have ever been to a show that there wasn't both commercial and crafters.I have done some big shows too. I don't consider them competition but the food people selling like soups,drink mixes and dip mixes do great.

LynnS