My Almost Free Soap Stamp

gloworm

I got one of these last week. It stamps nicely, but mine was not mounted onto the wood properly. I think after a few more uses, they'll separate and I'll have to remount it... I'm not really impressed with the quality. If it weren't free, I would have complained. This stamp would normally cost $29, and I know mine wasn't worth that much.

Your stamps look great, btw! :)

That looks wonderful indeed! My question is how you got it to stamp so nicely? I got one (magnesium mounted on wood) and use it on my m&p. I have to use a hammer and hit it HARD to even get any impression. Would love some advice on how you did yours! :) Maybe your soap is much softer, I don't know...

Jadewicks: As you know, M&P soap is already very hard and somewhat brittle when you unmold it. I've never been able to stamp it consistantly. CP and HP soaps are still a little soft when you unmold them, so they're much easier to stamp.

That looks wonderful indeed! My question is how you got it to stamp so nicely? I got one (magnesium mounted on wood) and use it on my m&p. I have to use a hammer and hit it HARD to even get any impression. Would love some advice on how you did yours! :) Maybe your soap is much softer, I don't know...

My first bar was too soft and didn't work. The 2 I took a pick of were a bit harder. Then I tried some older ones and they wouldn't stamp at all, too hard. I did use a hammer. I guess you just have to learn at what stage of the cure to stamp them at.

Glo

I would love to have one of those made too, would you mind posting how to go about getting one? I love yours! It is beautiful and I think it gives a very nice touch to the soap, as well as reminding the person who bought it, where they bought it from.... :)

Z was a big help to me in ordering. Here is her post about placing an order:

Since I have been asked a few times, these are the choices that I chose in bold:

1. METAL CHOICE Magnesium - Same day turn-around

** Please select from the following magnesium choices:

spacer.gif 16g (.064"/1.63mm)

spacer.gif .080 (2.032mm)

spacer.gif 11pt (.153"/3.86mm)

spacer.gif 1/4" (.250"/6.35mm)

spacer.gif 3/8" (.375/9.525mm)

2. PLATE OUTCOMEOn the finished plate the IMAGE should be:

Raised or Recessed

Right Reading or Wrong Reading

3. FINISHING Mark all that apply Unmounted Bevel edge (for lock-up) Holes Drilled

OR Mounted Type High on:

Wood Base or Magnesium Base (16 Gauge cannot be mounted on mag)

Finished Plate Size

Trim with extra outside image area

I had mine mounted on wood, there are no holes drilled, I think its fused right onto the wood, there's no outside trim on the image area at all. I hope that helps!

Also the file cannot be in "word"- this caused me problems till Z sent me info on how to change "word" to "pdf" & my son did that for me. In fact he did all the computer designing and file changing for me. Got me some good kids!! :grin2:

HTH

Glo

http://owossographic.com/

Good luck! My advice, make sure you plan out how you want your stamp to look (I planned mine out in paint shop pro) Because they say not to blame them if it's too big or too small, so I made my paint shop pro canvas the size of my bar of soap and went from there. Then I followed all the tips above, and now I can't wait til I get mine! YAAH!

I love your backwoods stamp! That looks great!

My problem has also been with the graphics. I currently have my logo in a jpg format as that is how I use it! The only way I can get it in the correct format was to ask my logo designer to change it and that was 25 dollars. Not sure I wanted to do that for a free stamp. If someone knows how to get my jpg logo formatted for free....please let me know!

Jooniper, what format does it need to be in? Can't you just view your logo, then click save as and then use that pull down menu to change the format...it should say a bunch of things like word, jpg, btmp,I think it says pdf and that is adobe which is what a lot of people use....that is how I changed mine because it was originally in paint shop pro format. I hope that helps!

And you and TexasBrat, don't give up! I was freaked out at first when I Saw that form...good Gawd...it scared me to death..I promptly came back to this board and found out what I needed to check...use gloworm's reference above...it was soooo helpful for me...the only thing she didn't cover was two things in the middle, I think it says something about an allowance, I called them on the phone and asked, and she said that was for if you wanted any extra space around your logo...she said they automatically give 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch space around the logo. Don't be scared!! (Can you believe it, those words coming from me...the biggest scaredy cat in the group!) If I can do it, anyone can!

BTW....thanks gloworm!

• 2 weeks later...