Christmas Rock Candy

Donita

This was my daughter's idea. She said "Why don't you try to get uneven color to look like candy canes?"...Well....it didn't stripe as much as I had hoped, but for a first time experiment, it sorta worked. I want to do them in Red and Green. This one is dark pink. Donita

post-248-139458384168_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone....it is a white chunkie in the middle scented with Grandma's Kitchen. The wax that is formed around is unscented with some micro 180.....so just the candle in the middle will burn. You can replace it with a votive. I have it on a plate. I am going to experiment with more colors. And of course GLITTER.:yay:

Here is a picture of the large one that I made awhile ago and posted. In case you missed it....this is what a large one looks like.....that thing weighed so much that I almost passed out.....had to do it in a huge tub of water. The small ones can be done in a 5 gallon pail

post-248-139458384175_thumb.jpg

Margaritamama....first you get the tequilla.....oh I don't know....maybe you get the lime......or is it the salt.....just can't remember.....put them all together and you have a MARGARITA!!!!!! Well I do know that it is a water candle or "fantasy" candle. If anyone wants to know....let me know. You make them by plunging the center candle in water while pouring in hot wax ....or something like that......LOL...They really are fun to do.:yay: Donita

Another winner Donita. I love making water candles but doing 2 colors takes real talent. And glitter too. Just wish they weren't so darn fragile.

Here are the instructions I use to make them. I found the instructions in 'The Complete Candlemaker' by Norma Coney. Fortunately my library had the book. I have learned so much from her instructions that I bought a used copy on Amazon.com. The short version is to use a 140mp paraffin with about 10% micro to make it workable. Melt both and combine. Heat to 170 degrees.

You need a base candle. She poured wax into a pie tin, set the pillar in the middle and cooled it. You need a huge container for the water. Norma uses a 32 gallon trash can. Holding the base at a 45 degree angle to the water, pour the 170 degree wax onto one section of your base. Immediately lower the base into the water and swirl it slowly. The wax will harden almost immediately. Raise you base up and repeat the process until you have that section the way you want it. Then rotate the base and start over.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words and there were great pictures in the book. Check with your library to see if they have the book.