Just pondering the Fresh and Clean craze...

Traveler

There seems to be a national obsession now with "Fresh and Clean" scents (even underam deodorant commercials are touting "fresh and clean" fragrances....as if other people go around smelling your armpits all day long so you had better be "fresh and clean" under there! :) )

But this trend has now really caught on with my candle customers. All through the Holiday selling season they demanded Odor Eliminator scented candles! And Fresh and Clean scents along the lines of Clean Cotton and Sage and Citrus. Cinnamon Styx and Home Sweet Home just sat on the shelves....at Christmas...wierd. Even outside of the holidays I was always selling spicy scents...but the interest has really fallen off.

Are the advertising companies really driving this new....what is the right word here? Obsession? Fad? Craze? Or do any of you sit back and wonder if people are so busy multi-tasking that they no longer have time to clean their houses?? Are we really stinky people all of a sudden? Or do scent "fads" go in cycles? Anyone want to guess what will come next?

In a world where we have so many other types of gorgeous fragrances to offer people I am wondering how much of this is being driven by the media versus truly smelly homes.

I know. A bit out there today, but I just placed another order for more smoke eliminator from Nature's Garden and it started this thought process....so I am ordering some samples of additional "Fresh and Clean" scents now....

Well 1) it isn't media-invented. It's marketing-invented.

Think green, go green, you expect clean and fresh, no?

In my state, five years behind the norm, they're in the realm of hearing about that in NY or Calif. or Timbuktu. We still offer a complete cycle of scents, just not many foodies ... cept when we don't have them then it's the craze. When we do have them, "oh my hips."

My guess for the next step? All the anti-oxidant scents moving, still remaining fresh, not overpowering, and in natural form ... so I actually think the stock in EO uses will rise over FOs.

At least it's not a trans-fat free concern, but there are suppliers going ... what is it ptlates free ... so it really wouldn't surprise me to see more combinations of anti-oxidant goodies out there combined to make great smells.

Now, keep in mind that unfortunately Glade has inserted itself into the smelly world and all the laundry soap companies are following suit with smell great fragrances for clothes (though personally I've never noticed the perfumed soap to last) that maybe people are just too inundated with aromas that fresh and clean not only makes it more tolerable in their homes, but it's a welcome change.

I was never one for fresh scents. Sea breeze and so on... blah.

I'm a foodie... I'll take cinnamon buns over clean cotton anyday! :cheesy2:

There seems to be a national obsession now with "Fresh and Clean" scents (even underam deodorant commercials are touting "fresh and clean" fragrances....as if other people go around smelling your armpits all day long so you had better be "fresh and clean" under there! :) )

But this trend has now really caught on with my candle customers. All through the Holiday selling season they demanded Odor Eliminator scented candles! And Fresh and Clean scents along the lines of Clean Cotton and Sage and Citrus. Cinnamon Styx and Home Sweet Home just sat on the shelves....at Christmas...wierd. Even outside of the holidays I was always selling spicy scents...but the interest has really fallen off.

Are the advertising companies really driving this new....what is the right word here? Obsession? Fad? Craze? Or do any of you sit back and wonder if people are so busy multi-tasking that they no longer have time to clean their houses?? Are we really stinky people all of a sudden? Or do scent "fads" go in cycles? Anyone want to guess what will come next?

In a world where we have so many other types of gorgeous fragrances to offer people I am wondering how much of this is being driven by the media versus truly smelly homes.

I know. A bit out there today, but I just placed another order for more smoke eliminator from Nature's Garden and it started this thought process....so I am ordering some samples of additional "Fresh and Clean" scents now....

I detest the scents "rain, clean cotton, fresh linen" etc...bleck!!!

Actually all of those scents smell like chlorine pool to me. I don't care for florals either. :undecided

Give me plain old vanilla any day over those. Oh, and cucumber melon, cucumber cantaloupe--eww!

My bathroom is "oceany," so I have Sea Breeze in there now... but I am just using them to get rid of them. Makes me feel like I'm on a bad vacation! :tongue2:

I detest the scents "rain, clean cotton, fresh linen" etc...bleck!!!

Actually all of those scents smell like chlorine pool to me. I don't care for florals either. :undecided

Give me plain old vanilla any day over those. Oh, and cucumber melon, cucumber cantaloupe--eww!

I have one friend fixated on the "fresh clean" stuff, and she IS trying to cover obnoxious odors. Her house is pretty much a pig sty with those 5 large dogs in it and her aversion to housekeeping. So I can can tell you that is what some people are up to.

Darbla

The clean, fresh laundry, etc. fad was over in my area about 5 years ago. I still have a few die hard customers that like the ocean, fresh scents, but herbals, earthy, spicey and fruity scents, in that order, are still my biggest sellers with foody scents last. :cool2:

• 3 years later...

I hope the craze is still going on because I have one all around bakery scent and the rest are woodsy, fruity, herbal, floral, earthy, and fresh. Oh and holiday too! But anyway just was reading the other posts and I'm not a foodie scent person but if people want those I will sell them. :-)

I think it's still active Jack. Those type of scents tend to lead to a clean house smell and don't hover as long as heavier (is my guess as to what's behind the craze.) I also think that herbal scents are still trending and people enjoy the properties they bring about. What I have noticed is that the harder it is to get a scent, like patch was not too long ago, the more people want it. Now there seems to be a big focus on Sandalwood.

I just filled a large retail order (tarts and clamshells) that included Fresh Linen, Clean Cotton, Beach Linen, Black Linen & Amber and Cashmere & Silk (I think it is a "clean" scent). And interestingly enough, it included a couple sandalwood FO's, too! Vanilla Sandalwood and Indian Sandalwood are both starting to move. I had to start it, but once they were out there, they are doing well.

Cheers,

Steve

Oh, almost forgot there was a couple of clamshells of Downy Fresh.

Edited by Wessex

Thanks Scented! You know everything. I love it when you respond to post!

Oh no I don't. Scents and trends are so specific to areas. Where I live there still is that clean-fanatic cell. You just have to watch your area and the sales and watch what your customers are being drawn to as they pick up candles to sniff etc. Like I said long ago, my state is at least five years behind the trend lol.

Now there seems to be a big focus on Sandalwood.

You're so right about this one. People are asking for it in soap too - first time for me in years (well ever actually). I make it because I love it and never thought anyone else did :)

Yes, it's freaking me out lol! I mean I have loads of patch and no one wants it after stocking up on it before pricing went wild. Now everyone wants sandalwood and I'm like ... uh oh. I definitely was not prepared for this at all, even though I've been hunting for the perfect sandalwood, which falls into my top three scent loves. I won't deny that.

Edited by Scented

Thank goodness Patch is still favored around here :P I have stockpiled Dark patch. :P

I've tried many sandalwoods - for CP BB's sensuous sandalwood is getting my vote. Soft, not sharp like may can be. I'm loving the sandalwood blends too (vanilla and rose are making me happy.)

For soap, Lebermuth's blend and what I have left of Red Santal are going to be for soaps only. Both were expensive, but Lebermuth's was by far the most outrageous, so it's getting limited. It would be too costly in a candle or incense for sure. I won't say the price, because I should be committed for spending that for a pound and I'm not ready for a padded cell yet.

I need to find the perfect straight sandalwood though that's stronger than NG's Indian Sandalwood. I want a Red Santal match and I'm not finding that right now, but Red Santal wasn't cheap at that time either.

Edited by Scented

I'm also craving a good Sandalwood for summer. I'm planning to try one of the Mysore Sandalwoods, mainly because I like the idea of it & I can't imagine it smelling badly . . . just need to decide between Oregon Trails & Scentworks.

You realise this thread is 2 yrs old.:rolleyes2

Fragrances are very seasonal around here. I am selling lots of florals and fruits right now. I have one retail account that wants only bakery. Another that wants incense, spa, and woodsy types, while another wants wine scents. Its a total crapshoot.

Once fall comes its back to cranberry, apples, cinnamon, spice, etc.

You realise this thread is 2 yrs old.:rolleyes2

Fragrances are very seasonal around here. I am selling lots of florals and fruits right now. I have one retail account that wants only bakery. Another that wants incense, spa, and woodsy types, while another wants wine scents. Its a total crapshoot.

Once fall comes its back to cranberry, apples, cinnamon, spice, etc.

I know it is Candybee. I just saw it and thought it was a good thread and wanted to add to it. Thanks for responding! :-)

My area still doesn't like any clean FO's........I have one diehard customer that likes MMS Cotton, so that's the only one I carry and I can't give the damn thing away to anyone else. Earthy FO's are still the best sellers around here....patchouli is still #1, amber #2 and sandalwood mixed with chocolate #3, plain sandalwood, not so much. Fruits are good all year round, along with my own ocean blend and some flowers like Lilac and Lily of the Valley are good year round. Cinnamon blends sell pretty much for Christmas only. It's amazing how the different areas vary!!

• 2 weeks later...

Where I am, fruit scents and clean scents sell the best. Also can't do wrong with floral (light floral). Earthy, musky...not much at all. Lately though, mens scents are moving well. Different areas vary greatly. What sold in one place over Christmas, sat in another and vice versa. Hope this makes sense, I feel like my brain isn't working well today, lol