Why do we like salt bars?

TexasBrat

They won't be scrubby at all. Or, mine aren't ever. They "polish" very well though. I used one one of my heels every day for two weeks...and there was a big difference! Summer sandals, here I come. I also use it on my face....and it seems to be taming the adult acne uglies quite nicely.

Donna

I've never made them, but have tried one and I didn't like it.

The one I rec'd was "scrubby", I mean I could definitely feel the salt.

I can also tell you that shaving and salt bars do not go well together! OUCHIE-the burning!!!!! :(

And salt is drying to the skin-hence the reason one of the posters said it works wonders on her zits. ;)

I guess I just don't see the good of them. I'd much rather use a moisturizing sugar scrub. :)

I love salt bars, I know when I have a zit pop up I use the salt bar on it and it will be almost gone by the next day :)

Hmmmm, my dh has trouble with acne so I might get him to try it on his face and see if it helps. These will be great when my kids start going through puberty.

So these are best not used as a basic washing the body bar but more for specific areas like heels, knees, elbows and face?

So these are best not used as a basic washing the body bar but more for specific areas like heels, knees, elbows and face?

Actually I just got one in the Southern Soapers swap and I used mine all over the body. It is great for the enitre body. It made me feel real smooth and not drying at all. I would say it can be used all over the body, also for body acne.

TexasBrat, you can wash your whole body with it (I do that) but you may find it helpful using a netted sponge as it improves the lather which will have a lotion-like quality rather than the bubbles you get from non-salt bars. Honestly, I don't feel it does much improvement but then I wasn't having any problems to begin with. It did make a difference, however, when I gave it to friends who did have some problems, such as acne or eczema. They reported back to me that it helped clear them up. For those friends, I made an unscented, uncolored bar as I didn't want to have anything in it which might aggravate their problem.

I have noticed a huge difference in salt bars with a 6 week cure and those with a 6 month cure. I don't know why but they bubble much better the old they are. I am using one right now in the shower that was made last summer and I love it. I didn't love it when I first used it.

They won't be scrubby at all. Or, mine aren't ever. They "polish" very well though. I used one one of my heels every day for two weeks...and there was a big difference! Summer sandals, here I come. I also use it on my face....and it seems to be taming the adult acne uglies quite nicely.

Donna

Ditto. this is the exact reason I love salt bars... And they also do wonders on rough elbows... :)

I used fine sea salt about 24 ozs and 8oz table salt for a 32 oz's of oils. I just don't notice anything scratchy about the soap.

They really aren't supposed to be scratchy. Like some of the people said, they are more of a "polisher" than a "scrubber". The salt seems to go into the soap and smooths out over time. If you want something "scratchy", you may want to try an Apres Glow Bar. Those remain scratchy throughout and are more of a "scrubber" than the regular salt bars are. (At least IME) However, the Apres Glow Bars that I've tried do not bubble at all (I don't think they are supposed to actually)

I've never made an Apres Glow Bar before, but all the ones I've bought are like what I've described.

Now after all this rambling and babbling I've done, lol I hope it helps a little. :)

They really aren't supposed to be scratchy. Like some of the people said, they are more of a "polisher" than a "scrubber". The salt seems to go into the soap and smooths out over time. If you want something "scratchy", you may want to try an Apres Glow Bar. Those remain scratchy throughout and are more of a "scrubber" than the regular salt bars are. (At least IME) However, the Apres Glow Bars that I've tried do not bubble at all (I don't think they are supposed to actually)

I've never made an Apres Glow Bar before, but all the ones I've bought are like what I've described.

Now after all this rambling and babbling I've done, lol I hope it helps a little. :)

I'm not really wanting a "scrubber" type bar I'm just trying to figure out if I made a correct bar of "salt" soap. I tried to make the Apres bar but that didn't turn out so well.

I'm working on a M&P salt bar now, but not sure how well it'll work out. I have a RTCP (I think) salt bar now from a swap and it's just fabulous. It's almost gone, and that makes me very sad :( It's definitely more of a polisher. I use it all over in the shower.

I just made my first salt bars on Sunday. I've wanted to make them for a year now but have been scared to death of them. I finally did it, but I'm not sure if I did it right or not. I had heard to use 50% salt of the amount of oils in your recipe. My batch was 32 oz. of oils so I used 16 oz of salt. They seem little bit grainy. I hope they are supposed to be that way. I've read that the salt changes the composition of the bar. That being so, how long does one let these cure before trying them?

There are a few schools of thought on how much salt to use. The one I've read most often is the same amount of salt as your oils. So if you used 32 oz of oils, then you would use 32 oz of salt. I've also read that some have cut back on the salt some to like 80% of your oils. So, I guess it's whatever you find your preference to be.

When you say "grainy" do you mean the soap or the salt? As in "gritty"? Yes, you will feel the salt in them, so no worries there.

Salt bars also need to cure as long as regular CP bars do. 4 to 6 weeks. HTH

Are we going to get to see a pic of your bars? We love pics! :)