Fellow vendor reselling my candles

TheWickChick

My sister and I have a booth at a flea market where we sell our candles. We recently were asked for a order of 30 candles by another vendor and didnt think much of it. The next day we found out she planned to sell our candles at a different venue. My sister was mad because we gave this fellow vendor a good deal. I was dissapointed that we weren't told about the resale of the candles, if she had asked I would have still sold her the candles to resell.

The question is: If someone wants to resell your candles, what are the rules? I will tell her that I dont mind as long as she does not sell them anywhere where she is a direct competitor of mine. I shouldnt have to compete against my own product. And I want her to leave my tags on the candles in case someone wants to reorder. Is this fair?

I'd think as long as she's not changing the label, it's legal. I think?

Be sure to put your website on your label so when people re-order you get the business. Darn I'd even etch it on the bottom of the container. LOL She won't be able to get that off. ;)

I am kind of wandering what the problem is if she likes your candles and wants to resell them. Once she buys them that is her choice what to do with them. It nothing for you to get upset over. I would consider it a compliment if a fellow vendor did that.

I would only get upset if she removed my labeling. I would not even mind if they sold at the same venue as me, that would be more exposure for me. It would be like having two booths a fair where I could really only afford one.

I would write up a contract that does not allow her to change the labelling. I think you also need to dictate the price she sells them at also. I would hate to see her selling your candles at a lower price at the same market.

I would write up a contract that does not allow her to change the labelling. I think you also need to dictate the price she sells them at also. I would hate to see her selling your candles at a lower price at the same market.

Contract? Thats crazy, they didnt ask for wholesale prices and you have no way to regulate what someone does with your candles after you sell to them at retail prices. For wholesale you can do this but not if someone just walks up and wants to buy a bunch. You can refuse to sell to them the next time, but I see no big deal with it when you get paid retail for your product. They said another venue is where they will be selling them so no conflict there either.

Bruce

If you re-read the original post, you will see that they stated that they gave the buyer a good deal. That would imply that they could feasibly sell the candles at the same venue at a lower price. If they sold them to the buyer at retail I would agree with you, but they didn't.

So if they are giving them a deal I would make them sign a contract stating that: 1. They would not sell at same venue if that's what seller wants. and/or 2. If seller is ok with them selling at same venue, that they do not sell at a lower price.

There's nothing crazy about that. It's protecting your business.

If you re-read the original post, you will see that they stated that they gave the buyer a good deal. That would imply that they could feasibly sell the candles at the same venue at a lower price.

But they already said they were not going to sell the candles at that same venue if I "re-read" the original post right. Looks to me that the customer didnt ASK for a price break either so that would imply they were willing and expected to pay retail prices. Hence my statement.

Bruce

But they already said they were not going to sell the candles at that same venue if I "re-read" the original post right. Looks to me that the customer didnt ASK for a price break either so that would imply they were willing and expected to pay retail prices. Hence my statement.

Bruce

I'm not talking about past shows, I'm talking about future shows. And you cannot imply that they didn't ask for a discount from the original post.

The best thing to do is visit the other market where she is going to be selling your candles and see if your labels have been removed and replaced by hers. If she did switch labels/hang tags, confront her, and also don't sell to her again.

I would just visit the other venue where she is selling and see what, if anything she changed. If she removed your labels and put her own on, then you might have a problem. You didn't sell to her private label so she can't really do that. If she wants to do private label, I'd say do a contract for private label. Otherwise just a wholesale contract.

Fire

Seriously, what did you think she was going to do with 30 candles? The rules are what you set, up front, before the candles are sold. I'm totally with Mystical on this one. When I first started selling candles I only sold retail. It takes a lot longer to sell 30 candles retail than it does to sell 30 candles wholesale. That's money that could already be in the bank. Sit down with your partner and set the rules in writing. That way, you'll be happy and actually so will the buyer.