Survey - Do you wash new jars/containers before using them

Wash them? Not anymore. We got busted by INS for all of the illegals we had working for us who were doing that meaningless task. :) Seriously, we pour thousands and thousands of jars a year. The jars are out of the cases for only a couple of minutes before they are filled. We have never washed the jars for over ten years of candle making and have never had anyone say anything. Truthfully, it never occurred to us to wash them until about three or four years ago. The drying process would take forever also. Our advice would be not to make mountains out of molehills. We do, however, visually check the jars for visible stuff; then we blow it out.

We have to wash ours...due to the film on the bottom, the wick stickums don't stay put!

I would love to eliminate this part of the job, but every once in awhile I try it.....nope, it won't work.

Also, I notice if we just wipe the bottom with a baby wipe or alcohol and then pour, the the heat from the wax really shows the film above the wax line...not pretty.

Maybe some jars have more film than others?? We can pick ours up, so I wouldn't trade the cost of shipping for jars that don't need to be washed out....

I do what Stella does. I heard her mention the ammonia wash and have been doing it from day 1. I fill a bucket with warm water and pour some ammonia in and pop them in then under cool water and upside down to try. Use a microfiber towel to dry them off after that. I haven't had adhesion problems yet doing this. :)

We wash and sanitize all of our containers. I would like to think everyone does...but maybe they don't. I also spray down our work surfaces with alcohol to sanitize everything before we start working on things. Just me being anal I guess. :embarasse

I have NEVER washed any jars & won't. We spray the inside bottom of each tureen & let the alcohol air dry. Wick sticks great. We also pour tins; you can't wash them, do nothing. We never have wet spots. No one eats the wax, at least I hope not. Carole

That seems easier and faster than washing them....will have to try that. thx

We wash and sanitize all of our containers. I would like to think everyone does...but maybe they don't. I also spray down our work surfaces with alcohol to sanitize everything before we start working on things. Just me being anal I guess. :embarasse

Hi Renee...I think everyone is talking about candle containers as opposed to B&B...I always sanitize my B&B containers and workspace too!

You know, when I saw a reply here I read that it was in the candle section, dumb blonde move that I hadn't seen before LOL

I think you're right! We wash our jars in the dishwasher tho, so it's all good LOL

Still getting used to navigating the board! Sorry if I caused confussion! :embarasse

Guest Candelishis

I use windex + microfiber towel. The windex gets and grease/fingerprints off, and the microfiber ensures no dust/particles on the glass. I have a dishwasher (DH!!) but he doesn't like to do candle jars :) LOL