oils soft, hard, brittle, etc?

gerrie

Thanks Michelle and Chris, those are not the sites, but I've bookmarked them, they have a lot of information on them.

Starting to wonder if I was dreaming of that darn chart :undecided

I'm trying to make a lip balm recipe and not sure which butters, oils, etc. are considered hard, brittle, solid at room temp and liquid. Maybe sticking with the BCN base would be less stressful :confused:

ya know...I saw that recipe and it really confused me because it lists coconut oil as hard at RT...now, I have a big container of coconut oil sitting on my shelf, and never ever have I seen it as a solid...now, it might just be tricking me and turn solid as soon as I turn my head...or maybe it just transforms into a solid at night, who knows...but if anyone can tell me why it lists coconut oil as a solid, I would greatly appreciate it! Is there a Coconut oil that IS solid at RT that I just am too ignorant to know about? Thanks!!

Thanks for the link. Math is NOT my specialty :undecided

I tried a recipe tonight, just a small batch, what a nightmare trying to figure out the percentages. It went on really hard so I had to add more liquid oils to it, now I'm waiting till morning to finish it. Been rubbing so much dang balm on my lips I can't tell if the extra oil helped any or not. Thought with fresh morning lips I'll be able to tell :grin2:

ya know...I saw that recipe and it really confused me because it lists coconut oil as hard at RT...now, I have a big container of coconut oil sitting on my shelf, and never ever have I seen it as a solid...now, it might just be tricking me and turn solid as soon as I turn my head...or maybe it just transforms into a solid at night, who knows...but if anyone can tell me why it lists coconut oil as a solid, I would greatly appreciate it! Is there a Coconut oil that IS solid at RT that I just am too ignorant to know about? Thanks!!

MIne is Solid at RT. Actually, I don't remember seeing any that wasn't, but then I haven't really searched for any other. I've been buying mine at WMart, but I have looked at it elsewhere, and it's all been soild.

Is the room you're keeping the coconut oil in fairly warm? It's supposed to be a solid at average room temps, and it is for me, but I know in the tropics it is always a liquid.

LOL, if you consider Texas the tropics, then yes! If my house is 75 degrees or less my coconut is solid. That being said, after the $380.00 electric bill, the thermostat went to 78 with ceiling fans on high. Mine is semi-solid, meaning I have liquid with applesauce consistency.

I have a gallon of it right now, and my house is pretty cool, so it is a solid. Put it in hot water bath though, and it liquifies.

The most common coconut is coconut 76 - that's its melting point (edited to be correct lol). There's a coconut 92 and a 119 (not sure those are the exact numbers) so they are a bit firmer longer - some people will use those higher melt point coconuts if they want products that don't melt quite as quickly.

Guys- I'm a retard...I just ordered coconut oil the other day from WSP...I had only been using almond oil up until that point...and so I didn't even REALIZE that there are two different kinds...fractionated (which is the liquid stuff I bought for body butter) and 76...which is the solid stuff. I guess I always thought something with the name OIL would be liquid...goes to show you can't take anything in the american language for granted!!! :) Well, I hope you all had a good laugh at my stupidity!

Michelle

Trust me Michelle, no one is going to think you are stupid. This really is a forever learning business we're in. I'm still trying to figure out the hard butters, soft butters, room temp oils, liquid oils and everything else. Some of it doesn't make sense. I'm with you, when you hear oil, you think liquid, unless you put it in the refrigerator :confused:

• 5 months later...

It must depend on where you live, because I have NEVER had liquid coconut oil here (in Wisconsin). Even in our hot summer months, where it's high 80s, it's solid, although softer, sorta like vegetable shortening. I do keep mine in the basement though, which probably never gets higher than 70 degrees.

Liz D.

It must depend on where you live, because I have NEVER had liquid coconut oil here (in Wisconsin). Even in our hot summer months, where it's high 80s, it's solid, although softer, sorta like vegetable shortening. I do keep mine in the basement though, which probably never gets higher than 70 degrees.:wink2:

Liz D.

I use 92 coconut oil and it's always solid except on really hot days in the summer. In the winter it's like a rock. Even 76 coconut should be hard until the temp in the room is in the 70's. When you say yours is not solid, do you mean it's kind of soft or that it's a liquid or ...?

I use 92 coconut oil and it's always solid except on really hot days in the summer. In the winter it's like a rock. Even 76 coconut should be hard until the temp in the room is in the 70's. When you say yours is not solid, do you mean it's kind of soft or that it's a liquid or ...?

When I say it's a solid, it means I cannot pour it. You have to scoop it. The softest my 76 deg coconut gets is about the consistency of vegetable shortening (Crisco), sometimes a tad bit softer, but never liquid.

FWIW, I tried the 92 deg coconut and I couldn't tell the difference in the final soap product. And I studied those bars! LOL! And used them, of course, as did my testers, and no one could tell the difference. I know others have said they think the 92 deg coconut yields a harder bar, though. The 76 deg coconut oil is so much easier to handle and measure out, so I go with that. If I would have found the 92 deg coconut oil yielded a noticeably harder bar, I definately would prefer that. Maybe a lot of this has to do with climate. I also make candles and my candles need larger wicks than many others since I am assuming the wax is harder here.

HTH!

Liz D.

This site doesn't classify oils but it does have some sort of number classification of butters and their "softness rating"

http://www.oilsbynature.com/product-category/butters.htm

I thought it would be helpful but it makes things more confusing when what you *think* is a fairly hard butter turns out to have the same softness rating as unrefined shea!