Candle Businesses - getting to know you

Why don't we all post what our husbands make a year. No, just post your tax returns with both incomes on it.

Geez, no one asked nor wants to know what anyone makes a year.

Troll over to the Dish, LMAO. They will eat her for breakfast, spit her out and throw the left overs to the lions.

I was posting it to make a point, no, we couldn't make it if it weren't for my husband working. I honestly thought coming here would be a great way to share advice and knowledge, didn't know I was going to be lashed out at.

Sorry for offending anyone, it wasn't my intention. I'm guessing I should leave the board since it doesn't seem to be a friendly or welcoming place for new people. Sad, there is alot of knowledge and experience to share..or should be.

I didn't mean to take it personally, normally I don't lol

I just think this is a GREAT source for people new to making candles. I know when I started out (more years ago than I'd care to mention) I had alot of questions about things. Hell I still have questions about stuff. It's easy to get frustrated when you're new.

As for the drama..I'm to new to know of any drama so I'll try to stay clear of it. That normally seems the best way to go.

Back to the topic, my point was this...if you don't have a bit of disposable income, this definately isn't the business or hobby for you unless you're making things for personal or family / friends use. It's a fast track way to go broke in a hurry!

Nothing compares to testing testing testing things. People can offer advice and such, but nothing beats hands on experience!

I guess I am on the other side here.

I took it that VanillaSniffie was just wanting to reassure herself she was on the right track. Not that she wanted a short cut. Her reply was warranted after all the personal attacks on her.

I think her original post was misunderstood and then people started to "bash" her based on the misunderstanding.

Most posts here don't get so nasty.

Have a great night

Danielle

Thank you FunFlames for all of your replies, they were very kind. Apparently I misunderstood the meaning of this board. I thought it was to come and get advice, share ideas, read and laugh at other people's mistakes (and I have had many!) and so on. You can be guaranteed that I won't ask any more questions... because of the fear of getting badgered or called a reject. I was asking people if they had businesses going and how they got them going. No where in any of my posts did I say i was going to get rich quick or jump right in and push out a 1000 candles a week. In the future means.... in the future. As I CLEARLY stated in my original thread, I know I am no where near that point. Nor do I count on candles being my sole income. Luckily, my husband has a good job and that allows for me to make candles. I wouldn't be doing them otherwise. And I am not working with 100 types of candles or projects. I wa working with ONE WAX, CB135. If you look back like I know you'll do... most of my posts are about CB135. I touched other waxes and knew I was getting over my head so I went back. I just started with J223. Not working on anything else. I am not poverty level by the way. You response was a family of three on $20,000 a yr is still poverty. Well if you combine both mine and my husbands we make well over that. Thanks to all who have replied in support of my thread. It's appreciated.

As a lot of you know the candle business is a 5 billion dollar a year industry. I just figured hey I want a piece of that action and I can have a lot of candles. After I crunched my numbers for 2007, my biggest problem is volumn. The demand is there, but until I can meet the demand in a big way, I think I am mainly breaking even. This year I would only allow myself to buy product/supplies with money generated from candle sales in years past I dipped into my own pocket. I am considering a apprentice. Ha HaI just wish my retail sales tax number actually got me a discount somewhere, supplies cost the same for hobbiest to business person for the most part.Natalie

BTW - The point of me stating roughly what I made was that I would enjoy more if it came, however it came. It was not to mock, harrass, annoy or anything else. Sorry I mentioned it. But when my words get taken out of context I have a right to stand up for myself and will not allow someone to bully me, or twist my words into what they wanted to hear, or read in this instance. I got it. Should have kept my mouth shut. I am just not sure what I am allowed to post then. No questions, no opinions, no "dreams' of a candle future. And it really sucks too because this is an awesome board. And I enojoy coming here. Most of you are very educated on candles and I appreciate your replies (when they pertain to the actual post) and advice and don't take it for granted. So I guess in the future all my posts will be "I agree" "Use the search feature" "LOL" and so on?

My grandfather, a very sage man, told me once... you make your bed, you gotta lie in it. Take the lumps given and when life gives you lemons.... beat the hell out of the first person that tells you to make lemonade.

All I can say, sniffie, is that you've dug yourself into a hole. Read more than talk, that would be a good start...

VanillaSniffie,

I agree that there are alot of people on this board who think that every time you ask a question you are just trying to get a free ride off of all their hard work. I found out a long time ago to just try the Search feature because Most are not willing to help out someone who is trying to learn. I do my share of testing and am not looking for an easy way out, just advice, not exact recipes. So you really have to just overlook certain posts and just try to focus on the few on here that really are positive and helpful. Good luck to you and your candle business. Don't give up.

How did she do that, by asking a question? :confused:

You missed a few other threads that have been poofed. Kinda a come lately situation, not your fault and most people ARE willing to help here, it just depends on what you ask.

Example:

What wick, FO, container, and wax would you use to make a 4 oz?

is a lot different than:

I've tried IGI wax X, with 2 LX 12 wicks in a 4" wide 4 oz. container, with some X manufacturer's FO... it's not going well and tunneling very badly, please any ideas?

Maybe the end result/intent is the same, but we aren't in people's heads to know if they've tried something or not, we can't say if they've done it, or done it wrong. Then the next post is demanding in answers within a few hours, then the next thread is the same as the first example, just change it to a 6 oz, THEN the next thread is the same asking about 8oz - all from the same person.

VanillaSniffie,

I agree that there are alot of people on this board who think that every time you ask a question you are just trying to get a free ride off of all their hard work. I found out a long time ago to just try the Search feature because Most are not willing to help out someone who is trying to learn. I do my share of testing and am not looking for an easy way out, just advice, not exact recipes. So you really have to just overlook certain posts and just try to focus on the few on here that really are positive and helpful. Good luck to you and your candle business. Don't give up.

That is not true...Most of us are willing to help. We just can't spoon feed people thru a computer moniter. Also like Mary said, we can't read minds about what a newbie has done if they do not give enough details. You got a thread asking about 444, then 2 hours later asking about 70/30 then saying you made a "perfect" candle with 4630 then saying my formulas dont work. Hell got alot helpful members adjusting their moniters making sure they are seeing correct.

So sorry if you feel you had a bad experience...Hell when I first joined I was told to go search - hell....I went to search. I didn't attack anyone to say there weren't helpful or friendly or call anyone out of their name. I can't expect anyone to perfect my candle but myself. So I need to research.