Candle Businesses - getting to know you

How many of you actually have businesses? What do you do? Do you also work?

I am no where near opening a business but I want to really bad. My DH laughs at me because when a candle turns out I dance around the house singing "We're in the money... we're in the money". LOL. Although I am above 20,000 a yr income, it's not what I want. I want more.

So I was just wondering what you all do with your products. I am going to try and shoot for our County Fair this summer but not sure. Tell me a little about your candle making so I can get an idea of where to start.

I am just starting out and have wondered the same thing. Right now my family loves me!! I bring testers to hand out at our family functions. We are many in number so there are alot of events. So far this month we have something every weekend.

I am nowhere near business mode, at least not big business, but am looking toward the future and kinda want to know what to aim for.

I already got the tip about liability insurance. Any others would be great!

I have sent out e-mails to my family trying to get name ideas.... I can't even make labels yet! LOL

Happy Candle making

Danielle

Personally I don't sell too much. The first couple years I focused on testing and experimenting. I still have more testing to do that I care to think about, but the 3 x 6 round pillars and hurricanes are mostly done (like anything will ever be completely done being tested...LOL) I have boxes of other waxes, boxes of molds, boxes of soaping supplies... scrap that... half of my spare room is boxes of stuff waiting to be tested :laugh2:

This year I'm going to focus a bit more on the business side if I don't burn my brain out on the legalities :shocked2:

I have a full time job as well. It's nice because I work 3/12 hr days so I get 4 off to play in my wax, but those 3 days are Fri-Sun so it leaves out any hope of craft fairs etc...

Have you been to the business section yet? You'll find a lot of business related info there :)

We're in the money is not exactly the song to be singing. Very FEW people actually make a living selling candles and that is years after they started. Quite a few on the board still work outside the home with a successful candle business.

$20,000 a year for a family of 3 in the US is poverty level. Not being funny when I say you should be looking for another job instead of relying on selling your candles to make more money.

I'm not being rude when I say this, but if you are looking to make money, making candles is not the way, seriously. If you want to sell, etc., I'd suggest Partylite or whatever direct sales candle company is in your area. The people on this board with full time candle businesses have worked really long & hard at this.

I sell, but good thing I don't depend on it as income, it's too inconsistent, and in our economy right now, impulse buying (candles would fall into that category) is limited.

So, if the candle making is a way to make money for your family, etc., I'd consider another avenue. I have a full time job, making very decent money with benefits, etc., and what I make per year on candles pays for my licensing fees, taxes, insurance, etc. Not much room for anything else...ok, maybe a nice dinner out!

Good luck!

I am a full time teacher and got into making candles this year on my maternity leave. I am starting very low key, making only 1 size of container candle and some tarts. We'll see how that goes... am in the process of making a website because it's not all that expensive and we'll see if I can make any sales from it to cover its cost. I agree with what others have said... I certainly wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have another source of income... start up fees are huge with licenses, testing, insurance, labels, buying stock etc. ...but don't be discouraged! Start small - your family can direct you to other buyers who could direct you to other buyers etc. etc.!

I have to agree with the others that this really isn't a business to be singing those tunes. Not a business to be totally dependent on for a family income. Although I sing them too, I have sold candles for other company's for 10 years. Made some money, but wanted my own. I now have a web business for two years and it is slow, up and down, sometimes you get orders and sometimes you don't. One thing I will say on a positive note. I love, just love making candles. I focus on particulars. Always testing, then making for sale once it passes the test. If you do to much you wont be able to concentrate on being an expert on one. Maybe you should look for your niche. What candle do you love making? Narrow the choices down. Here's how I started. Just candles, just one type of wax, just certain sizes, stand alone or jars, occasional specialties, and a lot of freebies to start. Keep going, think positive, if you believe in what you're doing you'll make it. One more thing, along with getting a business started, the legal aspects of it all is a big headache. I' in NY and it is a challenge to say the least. Two years in and I'm still going and I'm still loving it. Now I have a web site, a vending booth in a market, and I do home demonstrations. This is my full time hobby. Making money and loving what I do. I think its all worth it.

Good Luck :yay:

I have a full time job, Director at a college and have a store where I do all the production. The store did pretty good this year, being our first year in this spot. Cant complain but people are still learning that we are there. Our wholesale has picked up quite a bit and with the new Sean Penn movie being shot right around the corner more people are coiming around looking to see what was changed around the neighborhood. Tax time is going to be great for us as we expect to get over 15,000 back. So all in all is has been quite good.

Although I am above 20,000 a yr income, it's not what I want. I want more.

Well I would certainly think so. I couldn't afford to make and test candles and still manage to eat on 20k a year. I think my teenager makes more than that working part time and can't afford a backpack when he needs one. You may want to look into a different way to earn income.

Can I ask a question.. why are ya all so rude? I mean not just a little bit rude but just down right nasty at times. Did I say I was wanting to get rich fast? NO! Did I say I wanted to make this a full time job? NO! Did I say I was going to quit my full time job? NO! What I did say was that I wanted to make some profit off my candles at some point. Hell it can be ten years down the road and I would happy. I said I wanted more. I would be quite happy making my candles and still working full time, and being able to sell them to our community, which I have gotten great feed back because the only candles available here in are town are Wal*Mart candles which are generic and they don't have soy. At this time, with the economy the way it is, MOST OF US are at poverty level. Which actually I am not because my husband is currently at $67,000. That's why I have the money available to do the candles and if they don't work out it is not a total loss. I make OVER $20, 000 a year, almost $30,000.

Hey VanillaSniffie...

I have been doing this now full-time for almost 4 years.

I made candles and worked part-time at a pharmacy for a few years before that.

It has been a long process.. But well worth it for me..

As you, my hubby makes the bulk of the $$ and carries the insurance, which allowed me to get my business off the ground. It has grown at a pace that has allowed me to be home with my kids AND earn as much money as I would have earned working outside the house +...

Dream... and Dream Big... Life is so short.. If you want it... Give it a shot.

I did and it has been one of the best decisions I could have made.

If you want to become the best you can be...Start now. Don't spend the rest of you life wondering if you can do it.. :yay: Good Luck..

Can I ask a question.. why are ya all so rude? I mean not just a little bit rude but just down right nasty at times. Did I say I was wanting to get rich fast? NO! Did I say I wanted to make this a full time job? NO! Did I say I was going to quit my full time job? NO! What I did say was that I wanted to make some profit off my candles at some point. Hell it can be ten years down the road and I would happy. I said I wanted more. I would be quite happy making my candles and still working full time, and being able to sell them to our community, which I have gotten great feed back because the only candles available here in are town are Wal*Mart candles which are generic and they don't have soy. At this time, with the economy the way it is, MOST OF US are at poverty level. Which actually I am not because my husband is currently at $67,000. That's why I have the money available to do the candles and if they don't work out it is not a total loss. I make OVER $20, 000 a year, almost $30,000.

Nobody cares.

Even if you do it correctly and learn the right way (by testing, not continually asking what everybody else does), you're a long, long, long, long, long way from being in the money.

A really, really long, long way.

Sliver, and then you say "nobody cares"?, so why did you post? Oh yea, post count.

Anyway, Vanilla you just keep at it. I started 7 years ago making candles for Xmas gifts which grew into my 2nd fulltime job. I still work fulltime, a 9 yr old, 1 in college, a husband, a farm, farm animals, etc. etc... I now net $25-$30K per year in just my candlemaking and yes candles are an impulse purchase and with a looming recession, we'll see how this dollar figure holds up this year! LOL So for someone to say "long" 4 times is not necessarily true. And "in the money" could mean any amount to any one person. I actually started making $$ in my 3rd year of selling candles, OK so it wasn't but a few thousand, but I was in the money:smiley2: . It was a start and it's attainable, with lots of hard work, research, time, marketing and packaging that people love helps too!

It's all what you make of it whether hobby or extra income. Plus I operate my business on cash only, meaning I don't charge any supplies on credit cards, if I don't have the $$ I don't buy it, just have to sell more candles. My sales keep my business running, not my "personal family" income.:smiley2: Just enjoy it, it's a great stress reliever, at least for me.

Carrie

I don't know about you all, but when I was a state employee I wasn't sitting on my ass, nor was I making millions, I had that job, a part time job and school.

Sniffie--chill out! It's a candle/soap making board. Do some leg work of your own and you may get the respect you think you need. You will appreciate your hard work much more when you realized you did it all alone.

My daughter and I have a small at home business. No, we're not making HUGE money yet but we make enough for us right now. I'm very fortunate, my hubby makes a little over $120,000 a year. This gives us alot of money to put toward our business to test out and experiment new scents with and even make our own products. Are we getting rich? Hells no! LOL We're loving what we do tho and have no plans to stop any time soon. We're working on opening up a store front in the future. Right now, the economy sucks too bad to make it a reality any time soon.

I have a business, but it's definitely not a huge money-maker. If anything, I've spent more on supplies than I made this year. Testing different jars/wicks/fragrance combos becomes pretty costly, and if you're like me, you'll want to try all those exciting fragrances. Shipping is costly, as well, unless you're lucky enough to live close to a supplier.

I have three wholesale accounts who order occasionally. I'm going to be sending out letters of interest for fundraising this spring for the fall season.

Other than that, I've got a customer base of maybe 50, but it's not regular. I've got people who are local who will buy my candles if I bring them to them (heavy boxes of jars are not fun to carry everywhere, either)...

I'm going on my 3rd year at this and don't really expect to make much this year, although it'd be nice. If anything, I'm probably going to narrow the products I offer just so I can manage to make a bit of a profit. I've got thousands of dollars worth of oils and tons of wax/jars etc... I've been testing testing testing for most of this year.

Right now I've got time on my hands, as I'm ill and applying to SSDI because of that illness. But making candles is definitely not paying the bills. It helps when I get a huge wholesale order, though. Paid my electric bill in December! :)

Good luck and just have fun... worry about the business aspect once you've been doing it for a while. I jumped in too quickly, really.

*waits for the magic eraser to appear*

:tiptoe: :lipsrseal

Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll troll over to The Dish where there is no magic eraser. I do hear making soap is a way to make LOTS of money! ;)