Would this be really wrong...testing?

What I just started to do if I need a quick yes or no on scent throw, I make a tureen and I do not fill it all the way up. If the scent throw is great I oder it and retest in the jar that I will be offering it in. This way I am not using up all my more expensive jars for fragrances that I don't even know will throw or not. :)

I think Satin Ducky, what she meant was filling the jar half way and doing a full burn on that. Only problem with that could be if you had an oddly shaped jar you wouldn't necessarily get a good idea how it burnt toward the top. I have straight sided jars, so I just fill half way. Burns the same all the way down.

I think Satin Ducky, what she meant was filling the jar half way and doing a full burn on that. Only problem with that could be if you had an oddly shaped jar you wouldn't necessarily get a good idea how it burnt toward the top. I have straight sided jars, so I just fill half way. Burns the same all the way down.

This is true I just had in mind an 8oz jj :embarasse... which is mostly what I use. If its an odd shaped container I pour to the top because the wick could work for the narrow part of the jar but not the wide part (if that makes sense).

Something else you can do with the rest of the wax is give a bunch to some people and have them test burn them, giving their opinions. Who wouldn't want to burn a "free" candle?? Then you'll have more of an idea if potential customers even like that scent. I did that last year w/ 35 scents, 8 people and it helped me figure out what I would keep plus which ones I needed to re-wick do to people saying it was weak or how the jar was returned (wax on the sides). I had them record how long they burned it (asked them to burn a minimum of 3 hrs), if they liked the scent, was it strong enough, if they were in the market for a candle would they buy it, and any additional comments. HTH :)

To test a candle properly, there are no shortcuts. Yes it's expensive and very time consuming, but, it's your reputation and name on the line. If you are testing a new scent you need to burn it from top to bottom!! You could have it burn great the top half after a couple burns and fizzle out toward the bottom after say burn 4 or 5. I actually do 2 complete burns on my new scents. One I burn the way it should be......4 hours at a time and let it set up between burns and the other I marathon burn anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at a crack. You will be surprised how different they will burn. If you have jars half full after testing, you aren't getting a true picture, cause you didn't burn it to the bottom. :cool2:

Today 05:58 AMChrisRTo test a candle properly, there are no shortcuts. Yes it's expensive and very time consuming, but, it's your reputation and name on the line. If you are testing a new scent you need to burn it from top to bottom!! You could have it burn great the top half after a couple burns and fizzle out toward the bottom after say burn 4 or 5. I actually do 2 complete burns on my new scents. One I burn the way it should be......4 hours at a time and let it set up between burns and the other I marathon burn anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at a crack. You will be surprised how different they will burn. If you have jars half full after testing, you aren't getting a true picture, cause you didn't burn it to the bottom.

Yep, what Chris said!! :D I really don't see how taking a short cut is a good thing at all, even if the jar/container is the same all the way down, it still can burn differently (ask me how I know) and I totally agree about double testing, testing the way it should be burned, and testing the way that most people I know (including ME sometimes I'll admit it ;) ) burn, which is to just light it and forget it ALL day. :eek:

I may be paranoid, but I agree, my reputation is on the line, and if that candle doesn't burn correctly, there will be NO return sales PERIOD!

JMHO ;)

To test FO's, I just fill a tealight with wax, add 1 mL of FO, mix mix mix and then let it cure for a week and test it in a small room like my bathroom. This way I am still getting the true scent, but with MUCH less wax wasted weeding out the scents I don't like. :) The, of course, I test the scent in all of my containers. Although, I will admit, I cheat. My 26 oz, 10 oz, and 16 oz. jars are all the same diameter, and I noticed after testing 18 scents in those individually, that they all burned the same, so I test new scents in my 10 oz. jar, and use the same wick that works in that one for my 16 and 26 oz. jars...and they all burn perfectly- they're straight apothecary jars, though.