Overseas Members

cindym

I was just thinking the other day about you guys and how difficult it can be for you guys to get supplies etc... I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where you all give us the issues and maybe a a group we can come up with some ways for you to solve these issues. Just a thought.

What a wonderful idea Cindy :) I am not overseas but I know a big problem is cost of shipping. Perhaps a thread could be maintained where people can post, by supplier, what they need so they know when they have enough to do a sort of mini-coop to combine on shipping.

That's a great idea - we do get a rough deal on shipping, that's for sure.

I would like to buy from the following, but they don't ship to the UK:

Papermart

Nashville Wraps

Sunshine Container

Candle Science

I'm sure there are others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Some of the other suppliers I have tried to buy from have jacked up the cost of shipping SO MUCH that its totally unfair. I do expect a packaging charge but just the other day I priced up 5lbs of oil which, with packaging would have been 6lbs. USPS says this will cost $37.34 but this site was charging $70 for the same shipping service.

Thanks for thinking of us!

What a great idea, Cindy! I just want to say how much I admire those of you who are overseas. It takes so much more initiative and determination to source for all the various ingredients needed. I know I would have given up long ago if I couldn't find what I needed easily.

Maybe we could sticky this. Natty , for instance, if you wanted stuff from papermart, a member of the board would order it for you. So you would have to pay shipping to them and then to you. Also what is the best way for us here in the US to ship to you guys. How do we deal with customs, what if the package gets lost? All of these things need to be addressed in order for us to be of help to you.

I have to agree with Nat on the cost of shipping over here, it is prohibitive to me as a small scale producer.

Sometimes a co-op is great as I can make some savings but all too often I find something I really like in a co-op then simply can't afford to get it shipped over at the regular supplier prices.

I want to set something in place so that this year I can get supplies more easily from U.S, another step towards my goal, so help will most certainly be wonderful.

A list of reliable enablers might be useful, say including such things as what the individual enabler is prepared to ship, frequency of shipping.

Probably some other stuff too but my heads not working too well just now so if any other ideas occur I'll add them later.

Thanks for wanting to help us it's much appreciated.

Sally.

Best way to ship to them is anything under 4 pounds can go First Class International get there in 5 to 10 days. Over 4 lb flat rate priority international is best. If it to big to go flat rate the priority international is best. Avoid FEDEX and UPS they charge an arm and a leg to ship out side the USA. Really Heavy stuff DHL is not to bad and they are cheaper than both FEDEX and UPS. Okay I have been shipping international a lot lately.

Avoid FEDEX and UPS they charge an arm and a leg to ship out side the USA.

This is the bug bear as so many suppliers use UPS to ship their goods. I can understand using them for heavier items and for shipping FOs under 200FP.

But a lot of the stuff could be sent via USPS. As a rule I tend to use only suppliers that use USPS over the others, but with so many switching to either UPS or Fedex that list is getting smaller.

I've just thought of something, it's a bit cheeky and it would mean extra work for you guys, is to have say maybe a dozen or so US CT members across the country to act as forwarding agents. We could purchase our supplies but have them delivered to an "agent" who would then forward it to us preferrable using USPS. We would pay all the shipping costs, a little bit extra for your time and trouble and pay for customs here in the UK. Other than that the only solution for us is to either use a professional freight forwarding company or just order direct form the company and just "like it or lump it" when it comes to shipping.

Ruby x

Hi Cindy, this is a great idea, and thanks for starting this thread!

I don't know how it is for UK members, but shipping with USPS has turned in a hell for me. I'm still waiting soaps from Grumpy Girl, ordered back in september, a box with FOs bought in classies in september...and also an envelope from Nat, even if she's nearer to me!! Customs in italy is more restrictive than other countries, also.

It's all so difficult! Now the major part of FOs I use are not shippable with USPS, suppliers uses UPS and for then bottles is $160 shipping.

Also, tracking packages not always work. UK members can join together, buy in US and get things shipped to one of them, then shipping to each member could be not so high since they are in the same country. But I'm still out.

What I'd need most is FOs, additives, and palm wax, but it's heavy!!

Well, I'll think about what I need and then come back here!

Thanks folks, I love you!!!:yay:

It is very nice of you to think of us!

The biggest problems are the companies who do not ship outside US or only do via UPS, because the UPS shipping is a killer.

I recently participated in a coop here for wick trimmers from a company that would not ship internationally, so it was a big help. Mineralesque took the trouble to ship to me also, thank you for that!

So maybe in the future some nice board member will be willing to do a coop for us europeans for some goods we otherwise wouldn't get our hands on?

Maybe we should start a thread about the companies/goods we would want to order but can not and if there is enough common interest there could be a coop someday...?

Best,

Eva

/in Estonia/

what a great idea, and its lovely to be thought of xx

I'm in the position (well most of the time) where I can buy only 1 or 2 things at a time. Maybe a couple of 8oz bottles of oil or 20kg of wax.

It's never been cost effective for me to buy from the US. I like to get my oils from the UK as its a regular thing, I know I can get them. Rather than having to wait till I have the money to order a lot at once to make the shipping worthwhile.

It would be nice to get the 'lighter' things for sure, wicks, dyes etc.

Ideally forwarding agents in the US to forwarding agents in the UK lol, but we can dream.

Will be great for those that can buy biggish :D

Cindy, thanks again!

I wanted to add one thing that prevents me often from buying, I have a paypal account, but here in Italy I can't use it with a bank account and do direct transfer. I'm forced to use a credit card with it. And I see many selling in classifieds for example that don't take this kind of payment. And for me it's the only way to send money to someone.

So let's put some of you in the US stocks things for us, this person should take paypal CC payments.

Maybe in the co-op section we can open a thread monthly for example, dedicated to us "foreigners" and collect the things we need. Sure it's great from some of you taking care of it, and I'm thankful just for the thought, then if we can make something together I'd be really happy!

I know I'd be willing to help out -- and as I live close to Peak's I just do a will call pickup from them anyways, so that would cut down on shipping charges some more -- only shipping from me to wherever.

cindy -- I haven't gotten to the classies section yet, but I think it was suggested before about having one thread dedicated to foreign requests? Those who are "enablers" can also post their regular suppliers as well so members could kind of anticipate who generally orders from where.

Well I can accept CC so I can help there you would just have to pay the fees that incure from the CC.

I am willing to help out. I am at the post office almost every day so getting package shipped will not be a problem. I have P.O. box I have to check daily.

Just add here guys be careful who you use and make sure they have a good trader rating and are in good standing with the board. I would say they need to post a lot so you have a better chance of not getting burned. Now that not going to guarantee you won't but it at least ups your odds.

Brilliant, count me in

When I first joined this site Chauntelle contacted me, sorry Chauntelle I think about you but with one thing and another I didn't get round to email you recently but I will very shortly! and we both had this dream that one day we would be able to afford to go over to the US and buy loads of stuff, we are so envious of you over there, even basic stuff over here is hard to get and we look at what you have got and just cannot believe it.

One day..............!!

I forgot to say just a couple of days ago I emailed jeff at logan bear candles, I found him on this wonderful site, to see if he would consider sending me things, particularly soap moulds, and he said he would and was very helpful. I am at the moment looking and checking exactly what I want, this is such a breakthrough and I am so grateful to him

well, I guess I'm alone again LOL

I can't afford three shippings, from US to UK and then here!

and, before someone asks, no, there arent' any other italian members and if some italian candlemaker should join... I'd have to kill him/her!! This is my secret!!!